Sportsnet: Shanaplan Phase 2

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
OK

He still got 70 points in 75 games (before his breakout year).

Is that better than Nylander's career best 61 points in 81 games?

YES

Significantly better?

YES

And he signed in 2016?

NO 2017

Oh ok thanks bruh.

the value of a 34 goal scorer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>20 goal scorer

thanks BRUH!!!!!!:help::laugh::thumbd:

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Shanahan is such a hypocrite. He didn't take the offer in New Jersey because he thought it wasn't enough. He went to St. Louis and Scott Stevens ended up in Jersey to win cups. Hometown discount...why would Nylander or for that matter, Matthews give a hometown discount when they're not from Toronto. Shanahan has a very select memory. He should just sit in his office and be quite about contracts.

Agreed. Its the first stupid comment hes made since taking over the leafs. Hypocrite aside, comparing a non cap team with one of the highest payrolls in the league to this is ridiculous.

I disagree with you both, he is perhaps the best person since he has been on both sides of the fence. While it was a non cap era, many teams could not spend like the Rangers, Leafs, and Canadiens. If those players all decided that wanted full value that team would not have been in existence for more than a season and they were able to add as well. Leafs did too at the time.

I don't believe it was stupid at all, comes from a hall of famer who has won cups. Down the road, people will remember the championships you won, not your payroll amount. Plus, being in one of the largest markets, whatever they take less in salary they will receive in incentives from endorsements. Ask guys in Carolina how deep down the team they go for those deals, Dallas, Phoenix....etc? What he is saying is if you want to be part of something special everyone will have to make a sacrifice and it started with Tavares-he could have gotten more elsewhere.

If there is one thing Shanny is not, is stupid. From day one, he has rebuilt this franchise from the bottom up, convinced others of his vision and assembled the staff to do it. This was a very crafty and pointed move. He put it out there in the hockey world, that if Willy wants to be part of a winning group, everyone needs to sacrifice. If Willy does not buy in, he solidified the groundwork to move him for pieces in the short term. I thought it was brilliant.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I was wondering if this is a Shanahan tactic to put extra pressure on players lol; if it is - its a pretty bold move; if it works it would be freakin' great; if it doesn't it could be disastrous

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The do as i say not as i did Shanaplan

President Shanny - MNM , take one for the team and take discounts

Shanny at 22 - hold out and sign an offer sheet forcing your way out

no wonder all the hockey guys were ripping on him for his comments from the other day

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I was wondering if this is a Shanahan tactic to put extra pressure on players lol; if it is - its a pretty bold move; if it works it would be freakin' great; if it doesn't it could be disastrous
I think it's more frustration actually since it's not like Willie will be affected much by his comments being in Sweden .

and i'm guessing the team banked on Willie caving once the season was about to start and he'd start to lose $$$

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think it's more frustration actually since it's not like Willie will be affected much by his comments being in Sweden .

and i'm guessing the team banked on Willie caving once the season was about to start and he'd start to lose $$$

Why would Nylander cave? It’s a bad move from Shanahan’s part. He should stay out of it completely. I doubt Shanahan took a single discount playing for the Red Wings when there was no cap. I like him but he’s got to stay quiet.

Nylander’s dad made millions in the NHL, he’s not hurting for cash. The fact that Nylander has given his agent the complete authority means that he’s not planning to cave any time soon.

His agent seems like the type to drag this all the way to Dec 1st to see who caves at the last minute. Do we want Nylander to play this season or stay on the sidelines?

I’d go after Panarin as a rental if the Leafs are dead set on playing hardball. He’s not going to cost a lot (Karlsson returned garbage) and easily replaces Nylander’s offence and more for the year.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
All Shanny did was try to take some heat off of Dubas. He deflects the attention to himself so the team can be better off. It did not come off right but he tried. Bottom line this whole thing with Nylander is going to take quite some time to manage. It will get done but maybe not til close to December 1, 2018.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

How could it be disastrous?

Worst case is we end up signing and trading Willie for assets that fill.our current needs. Or simply trading him. Tho I believe it is in our best interest to sign him and trade him if we are indeed going to move him. The return will be more to our needs.

Auston and Mitch will be signed no matter what. They are simply a tier above WN.

Disaster would be signing him to 8 mill per and keep him when players who are comparable or even better are making much less then 8.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
How could it be disastrous?

Worst case is we end up signing and trading Willie for assets that fill.our current needs. Or simply trading him. Tho I believe it is in our best interest to sign him and trade him if we are indeed going to move him. The return will be more to our needs.

Auston and Mitch will be signed no matter what. They are simply a tier above WN.

Disaster would be signing him to 8 mill per and keep him when players who are comparable or even better are making much less then 8.

Matthews yes; Marner is definitely not a tier above Nylander; at least not yet.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
The do as i say not as i did Shanaplan

President Shanny - MNM , take one for the team and take discounts

Shanny at 22 - hold out and sign an offer sheet forcing your way out

no wonder all the hockey guys were ripping on him for his comments from the other day

That's absolutely idiotic to rip into him for... the difference between the cap era and the pre cap era is like comparing apples to moonrocks

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Shanny should have kept his yap shut; now every ****ing media junkie is gonna bombard RFAs with stupid questions like this

-matthews
-marner
-kappy
-johnsson
-dermott
etc.....

seriously why make your players answer more stupid questions from the media?

Yup the shit is happening as I suspected

Last edited:

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Right back at you with your "opinion" that marner is a tier above Willy

Oh it is not just my opinion but the opinion of a great many people.

You take away Willies shot and what does he have left?

Marner on the other hand sees the ice like few do, drives his line and drives other coaches into fits trying to cover him.

I like willy but most people realize that he is simply not on the same level with Mitch whatsoever. Probably never will be.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Oh it is not just my opinion but the opinion of a great many people.

You take away Willies shot and what does he have left?

Marner on the other hand sees the ice like few do, drives his line and drives other coaches into fits trying to cover him.

I like willy but most people realize that he is simply not on the same level with Mitch whatsoever. Probably never will be.

Great many people also "shared an opinion" that earth was flat and the center of the unverse and that sun revolved around the earth.

Morale of the story:
opinion shared by many "great people" do not have to be true until tested, and evidence shows again and again that it is true and is never again shown to be false i.e. needs to pass a falsification test.

So far.....

Nylander was great his first year and in the first playoffs

Last season Marner was better in the playoffs and played with skilled linemates; Nylander was stuck with Hyman and Brown when Matthews was injured for 20 games and only played with Marner at home for very few games.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbgobie

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

What did Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner, both in the final year of their entry-level deals, think of the comments?

"That’s what we have agents for," said Marner. "The agents will talk to the team about all that kind of stuff. We have confidence in this room that this team’s going to stay together for a long time."

"That’s why we have agents," said Matthews, who was also asked about the matter post-game on Wednesday. "So I’ll keep repeating myself. Let them handle it."

What is Matthews directing his agent, Judd Moldaver, to do? Does he want to get a deal done sooner than later?

"I mean, that’s kind of a private conversation so I don’t think I’m really going to tell you anything," the 21-year-old from Arizona said.
Marner is taking precautions by instructing his agent, Darren Ferris, to keep him out of any negotiations unless a deal is imminent.

"If there’s any talking, I don’t want to hear too much of it," Marner said, "just let those two talk about it. If it gets there and it gets finished then, obviously, that’d be great for us, It’d be awesome to sign that. But we’re not pressuring each other. We’re here to do the best we can this season and see what happens in the summer."

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Great many people also "shared an opinion" that earth was flat and the center of the unverse and that sun revolved around the earth.

Morale of the story:
opinion shared by many "great people" do not have to be true until tested, and evidence shows again and again that it is true and is never again shown to be false i.e. needs to pass a falsification test.

So far.....

Nylander was great his first year and in the first playoffs

Marner was better in the playoffs and played with skilled linemates; Nylander was stuck with Hyman and Brown when Matthews was injured for 20 games and only played with Marner at home for very few games.

So because Nylander played without the best player on the team and one of the best in the game for 20 games that means he is better? That's why you compare those who know and say that Marner is a superior player to the flat earth idiots?

Willie does not drive his line at all and never has.

Mitch drives his line and controls the game with his 2 way play.

Let me ask you this... whenever Willies salary demands are talked about why is it always that without exception that everyone connected to the sport says
that Willie would be lucky to get 8 but those same people say the same thing about Marner making 10 mill?

Because the consensus is.... Mitch >>>>>>>Willie. Ainec

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
So because Nylander played without the best player on the team and one of the best in the game for 20 games that means he is better? That's why you compare those who know and say that Marner is a superior player to the flat earth idiots?

Willie does not drive his line at all and never has.

Mitch drives his line and controls the game with his 2 way play.

Let me ask you this... whenever Willies salary demands are talked about why is it always that without exception that everyone connected to the sport says
that Willie would be lucky to get 8 but those same people say the same thing about Marner making 10 mill?

Because the consensus is.... Mitch >>>>>>>Willie. Ainec

lol because consensus is always the truth, eh? you must also agree with hitler and germany consensus during world war 2 then huh? :sarcasm:

where the hell did I ever say Willy is better than Marner? I am saying Marner is definitely not better than willy at least not yet. No proof? you can shout from the roof tops and put in as many >>>> (greater than) signs you want it doesn't mean squat :laugh:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Are you living under a rock? These questions were being asked weeks aND months ahead of Shanny speaking.

Blaming Shanny for the media asking the same thing again and again is madness.

lol

intially I thought you were just a marner fanboy now it seems you are definitely lost.

Is it October 17 already? or you have special kinda stash with medical stamp on it?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That's absolutely idiotic to rip into him for... the difference between the cap era and the pre cap era is like comparing apples to moonrocks
it was Shanny who brought up his playing time during the non cap era and and how is it idiotic to rip him for being Me-Shan and holding out and signing an offer sheet when he's now wanting MNM to take discounts when they haven't made any real money yet ?

the guys a hypocrite which i'm fine with since he's done a great job so far but i'm not going to make excuses for him when he's being a pos

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
lol because consensus is always the truth, eh? you must also agree with hitler and germany consensus during world war 2 then huh? :sarcasm:

where the hell did I ever say Willy is better than Marner? I am saying Marner is definitely not better than willy at least not yet. No proof? you can shout from the roof tops and put in as many >>>> (greater than) signs you want it doesn't mean squat :laugh:

Well now that youve brought Hitler into the comparison and conversation it is clear as day you are not worth continuing to talk to.

You do realize the concensus of the NHL... as in player's, coaches, scouts, GM's not to mention the hockey insiders and media alike all agree Mitch deserves to be paid more because Mitch is and always probably will be the superior player and much more valuable as such.

Hence why everyone put a 8 million per price tag on Willie, The 10 million tag on Mitch while Auston gets 11-12.

You make more money then players you are better then by and large. Very few exceptions to that rule. There are some.. but they are the outliers not the norm.

But I guess all the professionals are not as aware of a players true value as you are. They only live breathe and sleep the game. You sit at your laptop and have no contact or even a minor interaction but you know better while comparing their thoughts to f***ing Hitler.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad