Euro: SF: France vs. Germany, 7/7/2016

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
It was due to French tactics to a large part, they decided to let the Germans play and wait for their mistakes.

Not really. France were overwhelmed in the first half. They completely lucked out. They contained them a lot better in the 2nd though.

Won't take anything away from France though, they're in the final and they deserve it. I expect them to win against Portugal.

Last edited:

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I wonder if Quaresma will start this time.

Also, William and Pepe should be back.

Portugal is well organized defensively.

It think this final will be closer than expected

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Germany misses Lahm.

I expected him to come out of retirement on time for the Euro. I don't understand this retirement from intl competition thing. You don't retire from serving your country when you're still playing professionally and still considered the top player at your position.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Watched the game in Germany.

All things considered, I can't complain but here are some thoughts:

-Muller needs a break. Also he isn't a striker.

-Low should've had a proper backup target man. Just like Pep and the rest of these pansy, possession-obsessed coaches don't understand: you need a a plan B and a physical option. Can tried a few runs into the box but he wasn't a striker and neither is Muller.

-Kroos is the best midfielder in the world. What a legend.

-Pogba, great dummy aside, is probably the most overrated player in the world right now.

-Griezmann is really good. He should stop looking like he's about to burst into tears all the time.

-Ozil is useless on the wings.

-Schewini tried but was, yet again, unfit and uncomposed as the game went on.

-Kroos is so damn good. Mein Gott.

-Low needs to go, but he won't. Damn it.

-I've wanted gotze to stay and reclaim his place at Bayern but he was horrible in every way. Invisible after his sub too. Shame on Low and on him.

-Sane should've come on sooner. A tired Evra on a yellow would've had a torrid time against him.

Oh well.

I'm not a fan of either remaining team but I would prefer to see Portugal win - less dislikeable players, despite Pepe and Quaresma on PT.

-

I'm too hungover to properly state my thoughts, I thought Germany were terrific in the first half, a bit nervy to start the second and then, expectedly, fell into chaos as the game started slipping.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Is Loew getting canned after this tourney? Germany had similar problems to England here tbh, their individual skill is what brought them so far. Loew had no attack plan tbh, poor selections, poor substitutions, and a lack of defensive presence in central midfield. At least Roy Hodgson draws new players into the team, Loew was relying on out of form players far too much and too reluctant to let guys like Sane play.

That was really disappointing for me, wanted to see Germany in the final and preferably against a better team than Portugal.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Is Loew getting canned after this tourney? Germany had similar problems to England here tbh, their individual skill is what brought them so far. Loew had no attack plan tbh, poor selections, poor substitutions, and a lack of defensive presence in central midfield. At least Roy Hodgson draws new players into the team, Loew was relying on out of form players far too much and too reluctant to let guys like Sane play.

That was really disappointing for me, wanted to see Germany in the final and preferably against a better team than Portugal.

Unfortunately he won't go anytime soon I fear. But you are completely right.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Maybe pay attention to what players were left on the pitch at that point and which players were injured, and not able to play today.

In fairness to Germany this wasn't their starting defence.

In fairness to France, this wasn't theirs either.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Our problem wasn't a lack of plan B or possession pansies; it was Mueller playing like trash at Euros, it was needing two spots for Schweini & Can instead of just Weigl or Dahoud...which would've let us use a third attacker alongside Draxler & the ineffectual Mueller...and it was bringing useless guys like Podolski, Schurrle, Schweini & both Mustafi/Howedes.

Brandt - Draxler/Kruse/Stindl - Sane
Mesut - Toni/Mo
Toni/Weigl

or

Draxler - Brandt
Mesut
Toni - Mo
Weigl​

wins this match.

I would say stick to hockey...but...well...

#VocalJogiCritic

In fairness to France, this wasn't theirs either.

If only Rami was still in there for Umtiti *sigh*

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If only Rami was still in there for Umtiti *sigh*

Or Varane. Or Zouma. Or Laporte...
And if only we had Benzema up front to replace Giroud...

And Ben Arfa instead of Payet (though that one was on DD).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Or Varane. Or Zouma. Or Laporte...
And if only we had Benzema up front to replace Giroud...

And Ben Arfa instead of Payet (though that one was on DD).

Would have been interesting to see what would've happened if we had seen something like:

Brandt/Kruse - Draxler/Sane
Ozil
Kroos - Dahoud
Weigl
Hector - Hummels - Boateng - Kimmich
Neuer

vs

Benzema
Payet/HBA -- Griezmann
Matuidi - Pogba
Kante
Kurzawa - Laporte - Varane - Corchia
Lloris​

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Sure, but 100% healthy teams don't exist in reality.

And we're talking about two really deep teams here. We could probably do two solid teams out of France and Germany backups.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sure, but 100% healthy teams don't exist in reality.

And we're talking about two really deep teams here. We could probably do two solid teams out of France and Germany backups.

All of the germans I picked were healthy. Hummels was suspended and the rest were just left behind by Jogi.

E:
You're right about the back ups though, B-teams for the squads I suggested could look something like:

Fekir/Martial - Lacazette - Coman/Dembele
Kondogbia - Rabiot/Tolisso
Cabaye/Gonalons
Digne - Umtiti/Sakho - Zouma/Kos - Debuchy

vs

Mueller/Stindl - Volland/Schurrle
Gotze/Didavi
LeGo - Can/Castro
Kramer/Geis
Schmelzer - Tah/Bender - Mustafi/Sule - Weiser​

without even dipping into the injured germans like Gundogan, Reus, Khedira, Arnold, or Gomez.

Last edited:

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Congrats to France and their supporters here. I hope you win it all now.

As for Germany I hope Löw steps down. Not that it was his fault, but 10 years are enough. And take this ****** Podolski with you, please.

dnlfrncs

Mar 9, 2011
Our problem wasn't a lack of plan B or possession pansies; it was Mueller playing like trash at Euros
I agree, I was surprised he played every minute of the tournament. Low should have subbed him off more frequently to at least light a fire under his ass.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
This tournament was by far Löw's best, and the team performed better from match to match than they did in Brazil. I can see why some think he has been in charge long enough, but I don't think he unequivocally has to step down yet, despite his personnel mistakes.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

The problem is nobody really wants the job so most likely the guy replacing Löws would be much worse. Löw isn't great by any means but lights years ahead of anything we had since i don't know Beckenbauer in 90 ?

If Löws gets canned i fear some former player with limited coaching experience will get the job because he's the only guy that actually wants it.

After Vogts there was so much talk about Daum , Hitzfeld and all the other great established German ( and some international coaches too like Trappatoni IRC ) and in the end the only guy who wanted the job was old man Erich Ribbeck . Same after Ribbeck it took ages for Völler to take the job and he wasn't the first choice either . When Völler left after 04 again there was talk about all the great established coaches and in the end Klinnsmann was the only guy that really wanted the job .

Sure the German NT is in much better shape than it was 12 years ago but the expectation , the amount of scrutiny and pressure you're under pales in comparison to what your paid and respect you're getting .

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad