Euro: SF: France vs. Germany, 7/7/2016

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Cristiano Ronaldo to pull off the greatest heel performance of all time at Sunday's PPV. Will leave millions of hearts shattered.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Really not our best; the entire tournament. We'll get 'em next time.

In Russia, Draxler and Kimmich will be ready to really take the reigns and we'll probably have normal Müller.

Congrats to France. Fantastic side.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
What a game by France.

I hope they stab the Portuguese in the heart. I'd love nothing more than to send them home crying after another failed Euro final.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Cristiano Ronaldo to pull off the greatest heel performance of all time at Sunday's PPV. Will leave millions of hearts shattered.

He scores in his own goal, pulls of his sweater to reveal a French sweater underneath .

He'll score from a free kick (without a deflection), a header from a corner and afro ma penalty and then take of his jersey. :laugh:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
If Griezmann scores and we win the Euro on sunday, he'll have one the most dominating performance in a while.
Better than ZZ in 2006.
Would actually have a shot at the Ballon d'Or.

If Ronaldo scores in the final and wins Euro, I think he unfairly wins Ballon D'Or lol.

UCL winning goal + Euro goal + a high goal tally season for a big club. Plus the narratives will kick in to vote him to his 4th Ballon D'or.

I would like to see it for the meltdown.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
No worries :)

Frankly I'd rather lose to the germans in the semis than to Portugal in the final :D

You'll win being at home and having a solid team. Plus look at the results historically

Euro 1984 semi final: 3-2 France win over Portugal in ET
Euro 2000 Semi final: 2-1 France win in ET on Zidane pk in a legendary match
World Cup 2006 Semi final: 1-0 France win on Zidane pk

A psychological mountain to overcome.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
If Ronaldo scores in the final and wins Euro, I think he unfairly wins Ballon D'Or lol.

UCL winning goal + Euro goal + a high goal tally season for a big club. Plus the narratives will kick in to vote him to his 4th Ballon D'or.

I would like to see it for the meltdown.

Huh?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Germany doesn't deserve to win with defence like that.

Maybe pay attention to what players were left on the pitch at that point and which players were injured, and not able to play today.

In fairness to Germany this wasn't their starting defence.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The NHL would have called that one back on incidental contact with the keeper (and I'm cheering for France).

That's what was being complained about. The French player was obviously interfering. How did they miss that? It wasn't incidental. Taking the goalie out was tactical. Free ball, empty net.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kudos to france. They scared us early, and Griezmann delivered when given the chance again. After the 1-0 they grew into the second half and made life much more frustrating on the germans than it was in the first. Sissoko put in a ton of work, Umtiti was very strong, and Lloris was phenomenal.

As for us...

...well Jogi did make the right changes in the game; bringing on Sane over Schurrle for Schweini, and bringing on a more skillful player for Can; but he still screwed up with the starting lineup...as he did with the initial team selection. If he had brought along Dahoud in place of Schweini and Brandt in place of Schurrle or Poldi, we could've put on a show with the way france was opening up in the first half; even with Hummels / Khedira / Gomez out.

Draxler - Mueller - Brandt
Ozil
Kroos - Dahoud/Weigl
or;
Draxler - Mueller/Brandt
Ozil
Kroos - Dahoud
Weigl​

Either would've created a few goals out of the spaces that where there to be exploited today...but even with the players we had with us today a win could've been achieved had we played with:

Draxler - Mueller/Gotze - Sane/Mueller
Ozil - Kroos
Weigl
or even;
Draxler - Mueller/Sane
Ozil
Kroos - Can
Weigl​

if Jogi was really that scared of not being able to match the french midfield physically. Kudos to france for taking advantage, but Jogi cost us another EM-semifinal today. There's little excuse for only getting 1 trophy out of the past 3 major tourneys with this generation. I'll be bitterly disappointed if he stays on and we don't lift the trophy in Russia.

They have other 9's they just didn't invite them. Max Kruse would have been a great option. Eggestein is the obvious one. I wouldn't be surprised if he's in Weigl's position for the WM: given a last minute cap and invitation to sit on the bench the whole tournament; but play a bigger role in the next EM.

Götze could have worked there, but he was poorly integrated in the opening match of the tournament: not quite operating like a traditional striker, not quite like a false 9.

Or even Lars Stindl if Jogi wanted a vet, but was too scared of dealing with all of the personality of Kruse.

Sissoko's been great defensively. DD made a great choice to start him over Coman.

Yes, I've said it.

Tough to believe this day would ever come for you. :laugh:

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Overall I'd say the Germans were the better team but two boneheaded mistakes led to two France goals and sealed the game.

France did well to keep Germany from having too many high quality chances despite the possession edge.

Overall? They had 70% possession, dominated play, and had more scoring chances despite half a dozen starting players being injured/carded.

Germany had their chances. Very poor finishing today and hit the cross bar. Also a few very good stops.

Its the way it goes sometimes. Credit to France though finding a way.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I have not much faith in Draxler tbh.

He's performed well in big CL matches for his club, and stepped up for the NT. He hasn't taken the final steps in his development but he's a quality option for the NT.

...though with another 2 years it'll be difficult for Jogi to deny Brandt any longer; as well as whichever of Eggestein / Oztunali / Volland / Avdijaj / Sane / Ochs / Werner / Philipp take the necessary steps in that time. If we also get a healthy Reus and/or WM-Mueller; there should be a lot of competition in attack that truly deserves to be on the pitch.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
If Griezmann scores and we win the Euro on sunday, he'll have one the most dominating performance in a while.
Better than ZZ in 2006.
Would actually have a shot at the Ballon d'Or.

I was thinking, that as soon as he scored his brace. Still a lot of football to be played from now to January.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's performed well in big CL matches for his club, and stepped up for the NT. He hasn't taken the final steps in his development but he's a quality option for the NT.

...though with another 2 years it'll be difficult for Jogi to deny Brandt any longer; as well as whichever of Eggestein / Oztunali / Volland / Avdijaj / Sane / Ochs / Werner / Philipp take the necessary steps in that time. If we also get a healthy Reus and/or WM-Mueller; there should be a lot of competition in attack that truly deserves to be on the pitch.

Man this post made me feel better. :)

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Germany wins this game 7 times out of 10 I think, but kudos to France for making it one of the other 3 times. Hope they win against Portugal now.

Men of the match IMO:
1) Lloris
2) Griezmann
3) Rizzoli

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Oddly, this loss made me more proud of the team than ever. It's sobering. Coming up short makes you realize how hard it is and what went into what we accomplished two years ago.

Food for thought - 1954, 1974, and 1990 were won by West Germany. This is the first time that unified GERMANY have taken the field as World Champions. Thought that was pretty cool and I'm happy I got to live it

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
I'm still somewhat gobsmacked of the absolute dominance from Germany for nearly 40 minutes of that first half. This wasn't Ukraine or Austria in there, that was France seemingly incapable of crossing the midfield line AT HOME.

All of that undone by a moment of madness by Schweinsteinger. Those are the breaks in those straight elimination tournaments, the best team doesn't always win.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
I'm still somewhat gobsmacked of the absolute dominance from Germany for nearly 40 minutes of that first half. This wasn't Ukraine or Austria in there, that was France seemingly incapable of crossing the midfield line AT HOME.

It was due to French tactics to a large part, they decided to let the Germans play and wait for their mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad