Euro: SF: France vs. Germany, 7/7/2016

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Yep. And I don't see many #9's in their NT development teams. For that matter many in a lot of NT development sides.

They have other 9's they just didn't invite them. Max Kruse would have been a great option. Eggestein is the obvious one. I wouldn't be surprised if he's in Weigl's position for the WM: given a last minute cap and invitation to sit on the bench the whole tournament; but play a bigger role in the next EM.

Götze could have worked there, but he was poorly integrated in the opening match of the tournament: not quite operating like a traditional striker, not quite like a false 9.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Dives only occur when there has been no foul. This was embellishment.

I'd call that one a dive from what I saw. Would have to see it again though.

Ronaldo has been effective on aerial balls exclusively in this Euro. I'm not worried if they can contain him in aerial balls.

It's not exclusive to this Euro though. He's good in the air and has been his entire career from what I've seen.

Overall, this game was symptomatic for this torunament. One team fought like hell and tried to score, the other hoped for a miracle in their own half with 11 men. And in this wonder came for the french minute 47.

Game over.

To be fair to France they played with a lot more energy in that second half. IMO the goal clearly helped, but they had the better second half. On top of that for all of Germany's possession in the first half they didn't create a lot of really good chances.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes that half volley from 12 yards out was a good chance. The fact that he put it over doesn't make it a bad chance, but rather bad finishing. Your inability to distinguish between those two is astounding for someone whose football opinion I usually respect.

You're confusing creating chances and lucking into a deflection that gives you a split second to shoot the ball 10 meters over the bar.

That's not creating.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Congrats, France. Didn't create a thing, but made less mistakes, which unfortunately was well enough to deserve it. Hope they beat Portugal.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Unfortunately for Germany having Gomez injured didn't do them any favors. Muller offered absolutely nothing yet again.

I said it in the other thread and I'll say it here again, I don't like predictions but I still think Portugal win this.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Overall I'd say the Germans were the better team but two boneheaded mistakes led to two France goals and sealed the game.

France did well to keep Germany from having too many high quality chances despite the possession edge.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Overall I can't be too mad at this performance. I thought most of the German players played a good or great match, despite missing so many key players through injury or suspension. They were the far better team in the first half, but the breaks didn't go their way with the hand ball and then Boateng's injury, for which Löw had no answer. That's the danger of single elimination matches I guess. Tough luck.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Incredible to see them go through. Nicely done.

However, the job's not done. We haven't won anything yet and we need to finish this.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'm fully on the Penaldo to win a tournament bandwagon, purely for the hilarity it would cause on here. Carnage abound. Sorry Evilo.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm fully on the Penaldo to win a tournament bandwagon, purely for the hilarity it would cause on here. Carnage abound. Sorry Evilo.
No worries :)

Frankly I'd rather lose to the germans in the semis than to Portugal in the final :D

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Some nice dribbling from Kroos in this match. French players gave him too much space early on, but even late he was making some nice little dribbling runs.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
Griezmann couldn't be selected by an academy because he was too small... :shakehead

It's crazy how much emphasis youth academies are still putting on physical attributes and not on actual skills. I can understand it with central defenders and classic 9s but otherwise size matters so little.:shakehead

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If Griezmann scores and we win the Euro on sunday, he'll have one the most dominating performance in a while.
Better than ZZ in 2006.
Would actually have a shot at the Ballon d'Or.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad