Euro: SF: England v Denmark, 7/7/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Yep. A player fully intending to go down, but that won’t get discussed too much.

This isn't hockey, whether the Danish player embellished or not doesn't make it any less of a clear foul because he was obviously held. If Sterling had made meal of a clear cut trip, there would have been far less outrage than there is now when it's rather unclear if he was fouled at all.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
This isn't hockey, whether the Danish player embellished or not doesn't make it any less of a clear foul because he was obviously held. If Sterling had made meal of a clear cut trip, there would have been far less outrage than there is now when it's rather unclear if he was fouled at all.

Exactly. Up to this point...the most shameful dive in a knockout game was this:
NervousLeftBream-max-1mb.gif

Sterlings dive is now the worst. Zero reason to go to ground. Not held or tripped.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

There was contact and Sterling embellished it. Of course he looks for the foul, but can Denmark really bemoan it? Football tends to come around fairly quickly, do you remember the penalty decision in Denmark’s first game against Finland?

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
When I was a kid back in the late 80s early 90s and I used to watch soccer in the Portuguese and Italian cafes in the neighborhood, those older Portuguese had an old wives tale about their 1966 World Cup semifinal loss to host England.

After already being livid that the venue was changed at the last minute to accommodate the home side, these guys used to swear up and down that when Charlton scored the opening goal, someone in the stands threw a rock and hit the Portuguese keeper in the head simultaneously.

I’ve laughed at that story for over 30 years, but perhaps the rock of 1966 is the laser pointer of 2021...

Mental gymnastics to discredit England here. Laser pens are unacceptable but he saved the penalty, let’s not go overboard on the impact here.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
One thing is for certain England will never win anything outside home soil.
Well, an interesting footnote that I mention every single tournament was set to remain true here, even winning the tournament, as soon as the knockout brackets were drawn.

-To this day, in the entire history of tournament football, England have never, not even one single time, beaten a true “A” level, or elite team in a knockout stage game away from home.

I know the final could only be played in one venue under this format, always likely to be Wembley, but the one thing about the format that confused me was this-

A number of teams played 3 group games at home and won their group, but the only one who stayed at home for the round of 16 was England.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Of course, but it’s extremely likely. Denmark were running on empty and it barely came out of Denmark’s half for the entirety of the first half of extra time. A goal was coming.

Schmeichel was so good though. He loves Wembley.
Hmmm? Despite England wasn t able to score a second goal in 104 min. And it would be typical England, when they don t score the winning goal in 120 min respectively 30 min in Overtime. They played with the same pattern and without surprise moment. Your statements are pure speculation of course.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Well, an interesting footnote that I mention every single tournament was set to remain true here, even winning the tournament, as soon as the knockout brackets were drawn.

-To this day, in the entire history of tournament football, England have never, not even one single time, beaten a true “A” level, or elite team in a knockout stage game away from home.

I know the final could only be played in one venue under this format, always likely to be Wembley, but the one thing about the format that confused me was this-

A number of teams played 3 group games at home and won their group, but the only one who stayed at home for the round of 16 was England.

The round of 16 game England played at home was originally meant to be played in Dublin. Dublin refused to make any concessions regarding spectators in the stands, so the game was moved to Wembley. We can applaud the Irish stance on principle, but perhaps it had something to do with Ireland's failure to qualify and the fact soccer is not quite the most popular sport in the country (so an exception for the Euro would have been a political loser).

Reactions: koyvoo

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
My opinion on the penalty..it was fairly soft, but probably no softer than what we got in the 1990 Final and where our media glosses over it by saying it was 'deserved' because we had carried play and were the better team over the course of the tournament.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
My opinion on the penalty..it was fairly soft, but probably no softer than what we got in the 1990 Final and where our media glosses over it by saying it was 'deserved' because we had carried play and were the better team over the course of the tournament.
Then I want my 3rd star for 2014. And that 06 penalties.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Exactly. Up to this point...the most shameful dive in a knockout game was this:
NervousLeftBream-max-1mb.gif

Sterlings dive is now the worst. Zero reason to go to ground. Not held or tripped.

Neither is anywhere near the worst, the one in the GIF is more embellishment than a dive and Sterling's might have been the same but it's hard to tell even with many replays. Malouda dived in 2006 final but nobody cared because it was against Italy and people hate Italy almost as much as they hate England, lol.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015

It's even a bigger advantage for them this year than say 1996 or 1966 because a team like Denmark had to go and play a big game in Azerbaidjan days before...

Reactions: Lambo

Mrgnwllm

Apr 11, 2021
Reading anti England posts is like reading anti Canada posts after we win men’s gold in Olympic hockey . It’s excruciating. The better team won today .

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Reading anti England posts is like reading anti Canada posts after we win men’s gold in Olympic hockey . It’s excruciating. The better team won today .
I actually find it quite amusing. Danes played well. England were the better team. Deserved the win. Hoping for an exciting match on Sunday. Cheers to the tears.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
You can t compare that. This is totally different. England play almost all tournament games at home in Wembley. Denmark had almost 10000 km air miles in their bones before. England was better, becauso the Danes were exhausted. But if they were fresher in e.g. 1st half, we could see that the Danes not weaker than England.

Reactions: luiginb

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
You can t compare that. This is totally different. England play almost all tournament games at home in Wembley. Denmark had almost 10000 km air miles in their bones before. England was better, becauso the Danes were exhausted. But if they were fresher in e.g. 1st half, we could see that the Danes not weaker than England.
It's like a 3 hour difference in flight time between Baku and Rome, where England were playing. You're telling me that's the difference between the teams? Please.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The penalty given wasn’t a penalty, but the the referee missed a penalty earlier in the game that should’ve went to England, so Denmark shouldn’t feel aggrieved. The referee had a really bad game though. Both penalty shouts he got wrong.

Reactions: 1865

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

Should we get every team to win a World Cup at home to give their trophy back?

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I have less issues with losing the game as I actually expected it. It was they way it happened that bothers me. Losing a semi final because of a bad call is very different than being outscored in open play.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The round of 16 game England played at home was originally meant to be played in Dublin. Dublin refused to make any concessions regarding spectators in the stands, so the game was moved to Wembley. We can applaud the Irish stance on principle, but perhaps it had something to do with Ireland's failure to qualify and the fact soccer is not quite the most popular sport in the country (so an exception for the Euro would have been a political loser).
And what a trek that would have been for England.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille