World Cup: SF: Croatia vs. England, 7/11/2018

Who will play in a World Cup Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
They expended an insane amount of energy in the firt half, trying to ride their freshness to a commanding lead that they could then hold onto...maybe if Kane had scored that 2-0 that he had on his foot it would've even worked. But I'm not surprised they gassed first, despite Croatia's extra time adventures in the previous rounds.

I still don't think England were actually more tired than Croatia, but they were tired of course. And the one advantage Croatia have in those situations when everyone's legs go tired.is that this tends to open up space..which is great if you have skilled players who can let the ball do the running for them.

Their buildup tends to be a bit too methodical and slow to work when the opponents are fit and running all over, but it works a treat once the holes open in midfield. I think England's problem was that once the game slowed down, it really exposed their lack of flair.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Saw Denmark game in Croatia too. Flares and fireworks, car horns honkin, motorcycles burning rubber, people shouting and singing..

Yep that's going on here too, small town but on the beach so Croatians from all over Europe

Reactions: W75

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I also really liked all that English media talk about how badly Lovren played against Kane at Wembley. Yeah he was shit that day but how did that really work out or have any impact on the game today?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I wish I remembered the italian(?) bench player who won the golden boot on the back of a 5 goal game in the final match of the group stages...

1994, Russia's Oleg Salenko. Scored 1 goal on group match 2 against Sweden and then 5 on group match 3 against Cameroon when they were already eliminated.

The recent golden boot winners have been good. James, Muller, Klose, Ronaldo, Suker

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I also really liked all that English media talk about how badly Lovren played against Kane at Wembley. Yeah he was **** that day but how did that really work out or have any impact on the game today?

I think he would have had a much harder time if he was given the obvious yellow for his early foul on Kane's break, but credit to him for playing how the ref let him play.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Don't think anyone scored 5 goals except Salenko and he's definitely not italian.

It may have just been a hattrick and then a goal or two from the bench in further matches. But I swear I remember laughing about this guy before the tourney...ugh. Maybe this will bother me enough to look it up later.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What a pair of incredible passes to set up those two Croatia goals. Happy to see them advance.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It may have just been a hattrick and then a goal or two from the bench in further matches. But I swear I remember laughing about this guy before the tourney...ugh. Maybe this will bother me enough to look it up later.
Toto Schilacci?

Reactions: cgf

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think he would have had a much harder time if he was given the obvious yellow for his early foul on Kane's break, but credit to him for playing how the ref let him play.

For sure he would have.

They're doing their best to suggest Kane was injured

There's no small picture I can find that summarizes my reaction to this line.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I still don't think England were actually more tired than Croatia, but they were tired of course. And the one advantage Croatia have in those situations when everyone's legs go tired.is that this tends to open up space..which is great if you have skilled players who can let the ball do the running for them.

Their buildup tends to be a bit too methodical and slow to work when the opponents are fit and running all over, but it works a treat once the holes open in midfield. I think England's problem was that once the game slowed down, it really exposed their lack of flair.

Agreed...although I do think the emotions as well as the skill/structure gave Croatia more freshness to their play in those latter stages of the match. Although this is more a reflection of what was happening and not a cause.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Kane had to score there. The margin of winning these game is so small tgat when you get a chance like that, you have to score.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Scored in every knockout match. Actually a great example of a Golden Boot winner who was super important for his team.
I agree, Toto had a wonderful WC.
I was just guessing someone italian who scored a bunch of goals and who wasn't highly regarded before the WC.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Croatia found their game on the intermission. The next 45+30 minutes were like a different team. Well deserved win for a country of 3,5 million. Smallest country with Uruguay to get into finals.
ps. England has a brilliant future, but France might have even brighter! At least on paper. Lets hope Modric and Croatia manage to win on sunday. It would be so damn cool.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree, Toto had a wonderful WC.
I was just guessing someone italian who scored a bunch of goals and who wasn't highly regarded before the WC.

It was him coming into the tourney as an unheralded sub and scoring from the bench that I merged with Salenko's huge 3rd match to form the perfectly illogical Golden Boot winner in my mind

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
For sure he would have.

There's no small picture I can find that summarizes my reaction to this line.
btWrLSy.jpg

Or, these:

smugqq.png
sob.png
heh.png

The choice is endless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad