World Cup: SF: Croatia vs. England, 7/11/2018

Who will play in a World Cup Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Lovren has recently put Kane and Ronaldo in his back pocket, let’s see if his magical run can continue

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
All told both teams played quite well and that's what you really want to see in a semi

Whoever the poster was that said Croatia needed to avoid giving up free kicks outside the box - I was thinking of you in the fifth minute, I was like, mmm, this is going in.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Lovren talking trash about England on Cro Tv about how they didn't respect Croatia, maybe true but wait for the English media to twist his words

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Every single player interviewed saying they took extra bit of motivation from how they were looked at and by hot takes from English press, Lovren being especially blunt. Thanks guys, I guess :laugh:

Reactions: cgf

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Every single player interviewed saying they took extra bit of motivation from how they were looked at and by hot takes from English press, Lovren being especially blunt. Thanks guys, I guess :laugh:

I was actually quite surprised that betting sites had England as the odds favourites. :dunno:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I don't if croatia understand french but the french media are doing the exact samething.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Certainly not more in the french press than anywhere else.

There's clearly some optimism, but nobody except fools would take anything for granted after the last Euro.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Gareth Southgate. So proud of this England team. We WILL win Euro 2020 at Wembley!

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

lol I really should've watched more of the pre-/post-match coverage at this tourney

Every single pundit on ITV, BBC and ESPN picked England. Fair enough.
But in the process they showed utter ignorance about the Croatian team and its players; they hardly know anyone not playing at Real Madrid, Barca or Juventus and the EPL.
And the one guy from the EPL (Lovren) they constantly talked thrash about.

Anyway...
I don't want to belittle England, I think the early goal might have worked against them once Croatia scored, they just never could get their attacking game going after sitting back for 40-ish minutes (they were the better side for 20-25 minutes, even after the goal).
I though Henderson was good, Alli was doing what he could to control the midfield, but I can't say I was blown away by them.

In the end, and I don't mean this as any sort of insult, I think the lack of big games showed. Modric, Rakitic, Vrsaljko, Mandzukic, Kovacic... They've been winning their leagues and playing CL finals over the last few years.
Key English players are still (very) young and their big game experience is yet to come.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
To paraphrase Sir Robin's bard from The Holy Grail, when glory reared its ugly head the English turned their tails and fled.

I missed the first half (this may be my last night posting here before I'm jailed for murdering the workmate who screwed up a 102-page document I was sorting for public consumption). It sounds as though there was an element of the old cliche that misses change games in the shape of Kane's miss- I wouldn't have fancied Croatia overturning a two-goal deficit.

But one goal, well that allows The Weight of History to do its stuff. Especially if you come from a nation whose attempts at game management often seem drawn from a coaching manual devised by the Three Stooges. After about 50 minutes, England had the distinct air of waiting for the final whistle. Inexperience perhaps played a part too. And for once, Clive Tyldesley made a useful point about Luka Modric having more winners medals than pretty much the whole England squad added together.

Before the game I'd been torn between the evidence from the previous two games that Croatia wouldn't have enough left in the tank, and the nagging thought that they might find the strength of desperation (after 30+ years of watching Newcastle United and England, I consider myself a connoisseur of defeat). In fact, it sounds as though there was an element of both about their performance. When you're playing wing-backs, the obvious danger is that the opposition can isolate your two men on the flanks, and that was indeed the case here. Ultimately, the Croats were abetted in that task by the limitations of England's midfield. Oh, and the slight chap one of Ashley's £1 million a year minions thought was too small for the EPL.

Not that Sterling pulled up a lot of trees in the tournament, but I thought his substitution dubious when it was made. It's all very well to talk about bringing on fresh legs, but the problem with Rashford is his brain is fresh too- in the born yesterday sense.

So, fans across England must face up to the terrible reality of drinking their pints again, rather than hurling them into the air because they've seen other people do the same thing on TV. And we can happily return to being the tortured, self-contradicting, declining former imperial power run by self-serving posh people and crooks that we were before the game kicked off. Thankfully there's still Love Island to distract us from turning into bloodthirsty Levellers. It's people of no worth whatsoever babbling inanities and having sex, which makes it compulsive viewing among otherwise intelligent human beings.

Overall, a successful tournament for England. The team has too many dead-eyed mackems in it for my liking (Jordan Pickford whilst being interviewed is worthy of Kipling's If in the way he meets triumph and disaster with the same befuddled expression that suggests his vocabulary consists of eighteen words), but overall it's inoffensive, like its manager. As long as a ridiculous backlash or a crisis of confidence or an overdose of presumption or key players getting injured or losing form or a civil war or a fascist government or the President of the United States of America destroying the planet can be avoided, they'll stand a good chance of turning out a decent team in 2020.

Congratulations to Croatia. They are better at football than England.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Absolutely gutted. Congrats to Croatia and the Croatians on here. Deserved win in the end. It would be cool to see a new WC winner.

What a ride it's been for us. Southgate has done a great job, haven't seen a team spirit like that since Euro 96. They'll come home heroes to an extent. Watching the haters squirm has also been fun.

Could've been 2 or 3-0 in the first half, and Stones' header in the 2nd half. The missed chances were always going to haunt us. Croatia just got better and better in the 2nd half and extra time.

Proud to be an England fan for once, hopefully it's the start of something good.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
This hurts but I'm proud of this team. No-one expected us to get this far and we've had a hell of a journey. This has been the best World Cup for England that I've been alive for, I've not experienced something like this before. Our first World Cup penalty shoot-out win, amazing. Comfortable victories against Panama and Sweden whilst setting a biggest win. So many players became heroes in their first tournament and gave us hope, something we hadn't had in ages. They were fun to watch and it was enjoyable to do so. It's made us enjoy the international team again. Gareth Southgate has brought us back in and in four years when they're more advanced and developed I have no doubt they'll do well. We have something to look forward to for a change.

Thank you Gareth, thank you England. We have a national team fit to be proud of again.

Reactions: Evilo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad