World Cup: SF: Croatia vs. England, 7/11/2018

Who will play in a World Cup Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
At the start I was cheering for England but as the game progressed I found myself cheering for Croatia.

They're more talented and play the more attractive brand of football. I'd imagine most neutrals enjoyed them more than England...they've certainly won me over since Jogi knocked us out in the group stages.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
For as much as England and everyone was going on about Croatia being tired... England seemed to tire first in this game.

They expended an insane amount of energy in the firt half, trying to ride their freshness to a commanding lead that they could then hold onto...maybe if Kane had scored that 2-0 that he had on his foot it would've even worked. But I'm not surprised they gassed first, despite Croatia's extra time adventures in the previous rounds.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I am actually in Croatia now, even though in a small town people going nuts in their knockoff kits :D

Saw Denmark game in Croatia too. Flares and fireworks, car horns honkin, motorcycles burning rubber, people shouting and singing..

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
So, so true.

I know most here like club football, but indeed, nothing comes close to NT football.

The club I'm a fan of is in the 4th division, so I would say that the national team has always had priority for me. I think if you look at the hardcore of national team support across the big nations, you'll find that fans of smaller clubs are way over-represented.

Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal etc. fans in England will now just slip off the England shirt they bought last week and go back arguing about transfer rumors.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Gotta love Mandzukic (who I generally don't rate and I was surprised when they pulled Rebic for Kramaric and not Mando) hitting them with the good ol' off the floor and on the board

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He's mega overrated. Only goal in the knockout stages was a penalty and the rest were against Panama and Tunisia.

He is a great poacher but some of the talk related to him has been completely ludicrous. He is also entirely dependent on the balls that are given to him and does not create his own chances. This is the only time I have seen someone win the golden boot and yet I would have them nowhere near team of the tournament.

I wish I remembered the italian(?) bench player who won the golden boot on the back of a 5 goal game in the final match of the group stages...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'd like to dedicate the win to the ESPN experts who said they'd pick the entire English defense over the entire Croatian defense, even over Vrsaljko.

Lovren and Vida were immense. And hopefully Lovren gets some respect from the English pundits now.

Lovren should have been carded multiple times.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Croatia is the reincarnation of 1990 Argentina/2016 Portugal- heavy reliance on extra time and penalties.

Sounds like the fútbol equivalent of the 1993 Montreal Canadiens and all their overtimes

Results wise, but their football is nothing alike

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
For the CROATIA IS GOING TO TIRE OUT CROWD....

we thought the 2014 LA Kings might tire in the Cup Final against a red/white/blue team after playing 3 seven game series.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I cashed in quite nicely today. Also lobbed in a 20 when Croatia was 33/1 to win this. Granted I don't expect them to win, but still. It will make up for the other "to win" bets and then some if they do.

Croatia only played 30 more minutes than England this tournament, so it's not like there was a massive difference.

I think people also overexaggerated with that. Some of the players who suffered worst in the previous two games didn't suffer at all today.

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad