World Cup: SF: Croatia vs. England, 7/11/2018

Who will play in a World Cup Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Croatia have a better midfield. But pretty even elsewhere. Reckon they'll just edge it but we're in a f***ing semi-final...

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
England has been great on set pieces.
Croatia not so good on defending them...so please Croatia, do not foul outside the box, and keep the corners to a minimum.

as well, ...just give the ball to Modric, and let him dictate things.

Reactions: TSBruins13

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
England is last hope for 1998. generation. If Croatia wins 1998. generation is doomed :(

Reactions: cgf

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I'm just looking forward to having a game with both teams looking to score goals, they've been very rare so far in the knockout phase.

Be it Russia vs Spain and us, Colombia vs England, France vs Uruguay, it was one team attacking and one team either defending deep or pressing - but doing absolutely nothing offensively, just long balls by the keeper and hoping for a mistake.
Or worse, Sweden vs Switzerland when neither team apparently wanted to score.

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
I'm so torn. My first WC was 1998, where I hopped on the underdog Croatia bandwagon and have had a soft spot for them ever since; conversely, I always cheered against England because a lot of people I knew cheered for them. On the other hand, I now live in London and am really enjoying the atmosphere here. On the other other hand, this is a nation with a bit of a superiority complex and I don't really want to see them add to that.

I'm happy no matter the result, and disappointed no matter the result.

Reactions: booyakasha

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I'm so torn. My first WC was 1998, where I hopped on the underdog Croatia bandwagon and have had a soft spot for them ever since; conversely, I always cheered against England because a lot of people I knew cheered for them. On the other hand, I now live in London and am really enjoying the atmosphere here. On the other other hand, this is a nation with a bit of a superiority complex and I don't really want to see them add to that.

I'm happy no matter the result, and disappointed no matter the result.

my wife is English....Wednesday is going to be something at my house .
I feel for my kids....but if they know what's good for them, they'll know they're Hrvat 1st and English 2nd.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
If this was fresh out of the group stages I would pick Croatia. However, they haven't impressed me since and have no doubt used up a lot of energy in the additional extra times. Betting on England but wouldn't be surprised if Croatia wins easily either.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
If England would have been given a choice before the tournament draw, that they won't have to face a country who has won a WC before the final, they would have taken that every time. This is what's happening now.

Nothing in this England side feels like a World Champion though. Croatia should win if they can avoid calamity on the set pieces, but I just hope they don't need a shootout this time. It's not a good impression if you reach the final by only winning with PKs in the knockout stage.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Croatia are better than us, we’ll just hope their two extra time games have taken a toll on their fitness I guess.

Yes, the extra 60+ minutes of soccer should have an effect on them, no doubt.

Also, the emotional toll can take a lot out of you.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Croatia has played 120+ minutes of football twice in less than a week, that's got to leave a mark somewhere.

As for England, after decades of trying to modernize their game so they can play like the better teams on the continent, here they are falling ass backwards into their best success in nearly 30 years by playing proper English "relying on set-pieces and hoofing long balls from the back" football.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluesfan94 and cgf

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Get that to f***. I f***ing hate the English and would be about as happy seeing them lose a World Cup final as I would Scotland winning one. Or maybe just this one in particular.

I don't have a memory any more and I have a curious ability to forget just about anything about a sporting event I've seen. I couldn't tell you a thing about any European Championships in my life. World Cups the same, mostly, aside from finals and especially memorable moments. There are a few things which persist in the memory, however.

I remember Ronaldinho chipping David Seaman from forty yards.
I remember Zidane vomiting on the penalty spot then scoring.
Then scoring a free kick two minutes later.
I remember the Portuguese beating them on penalties.
I remember the Portuguese beating them on penalties.
I remember the advert for Borat popping up on the (then new) electronic advertising boards when Paul Robinson decided to let the ball go straight through him.
I remember being in a pub for the Slovenia game and them thinking this meant their tournament was on track.
I remember Ian Wright declaring England will SMASH Germany, smash them as soon as the group was over.
I remember Neuer's face mirroring the world, knowing that ball had crossed the line and not carrying.
I remember no introspection for being put out the World Cup by Germany on a given goal which didn't cross the line.
I remember Pirlo ripping the utter pish for 120 minutes then hitting a Panenka, because who else would?
I remember watching Harry Kane take corners.
I remember Alan Shearer crying, and me offering more insight into their problems in a post on here than he's done in his life.

Now, I've known a few English people in my time in various ways. I'll probably be at work with one on Monday. I technically am related to several of them. One in particular who I'll never see again has a piece of my heart and doesn't know this. Stray Wasp posts on here and is about the closest anywhere on HF comes to universal acclaim, even if he's been getting a bit over-excited as the rounds have passed. That's not his fault though, it's the team's for not doing the done thing and exiting.

Aside from all of those things, this tournament has been unlike any other I've experienced because there's been no certainty. Usually you know within five minutes of England's first game when they're going out but here, there's nothing. And until I know they're not going to win, there's no enjoyment for me. There are several good options available - a country with a smaller population than Scotland beats them, a country managed by Roberto Martinez beats them or the French beat them - but until they do, there's a nagging doubt about it I've never experienced before. Until I can experience the usual comedown from the English media I'm unable to avoid consuming, the irregular fervour we've experienced just grates. It can't be tuned out like normal.

So until that natural order restores itself I refer you to my opening line. Although if Queen Nic wishes to meet the Croatian president and beg her to teach us how to produce footballers she can hold on to the trophy all she wants. She may as well. We'll run out of room for stars above the badge in her lifetime. The national team will make Auchinleck Talbot look constrained by comparison.

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It's a 50/50 game on paper. Croatia look a bit banged up. If Subasic is hurt, what quality of goalkeeping will they have, and will the backup be ready physically and mentally to handle the pressure of a World Cup semi final. Mandzukic looked like there was something wrong with him as well. Without a top striker will it be easier for England to contain Modric and the rest of the Croatian squad?Plus playing two 120 minute games plus penalties has to take its toll, compared to England who strolled past Sweden after its intense shootout win against Colombia. I could see Croatia running out of steam in the 70-75' and England scoring a couple easy goals late. There is a lot of questions about Croatia that may not be answered before Wednesday's game.

On the other hand besides Harry Kane and possibly Jordan Pickford has anyone else on England looked great? Sure many have had their moments, but I don't think it would be accurate to say anyone else has been in excellent form this tournament. Also they haven't really been tested by anyone big since that Belgium game was a complete farce. Is Croatia better than a James Rodriguez less Colombia? Probably, but not by much. England haven't scored much from open play and that is definitely a concern going forward, and Raheem Sterling still hasn't scored yet, looking unconfident on his one on one with Olsen late in the first half. Plus has this young squad finally put England's past demons behind them, and can live up to the pressure of the British media which is likely to explode?

If I had to bet I would guess England would take it, but not likely by more than a goal or in penalties.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Croatia has played 120+ minutes of football twice in less than a week, that's got to leave a mark somewhere.

As for England, after decades of trying to modernize their game so they can play like the better teams on the continent, here they are falling ass backwards into their best success in nearly 30 years by playing proper English "relying on set-pieces and hoofing long balls from the back" football.

At least they have finally embraced their shit football roots.

I know he didn't play against Sweden, but this really seems like a match where you would want to start Vardy. I know Sterling sucks ass at scoring, but I would think you would want his pace out there as well. England seem built to catch a tired Croatia team on the break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->