OT: Severe Weather Discussion III

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
crazy storm, somewhat surprised by the number of power outages given the mid tropical storm winds we saw. I hope everyone made it safe - too many without lights tonight and lots of trees down everywhere. hopefully PSEG who is "prepared and ready" will manage to get some lights back on soon!

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Still have no power at home on Long Island . Funny how the storm passed late Tuesday afternoon then afterwards the weather turned beautiful and then 11 pm power shut off. Have seen many power company trucks at places such as the the bagel store or town park, everywhere but up on the f***en poles. Anyway we were given an estimate of Thursday 1pm, then on Thurs it was changed to Saturday, now changed to Sunday . I guess the guys need the one day of double time . So that’s my rant. I do have a generator that powers the entire house and I also provide lines for 2 neighbors houses because not only are hockey players considered the best people but hockey fans are too. (Except Rangers fans at the NVMC)

So now the real reason for this post . I had a maybe 75’ or taller tree fall across the yard from the storm . It actually fell in the only direction that would not hit a house or power lines . Finally got a response from 2 different tree guys . Remember it’s already laying on the ground . No climbers needed..
#1 - $6,000
#2- $3,500 + $1,300 for the stump.

was thinking I break out the chain saw , do a little each day, have enough firewood for 3 winters and call the prick just to do the stump . At that point I know he won’t come for that . Is the stump not part of the tree ? Did you want your turkey sandwich on some form of bread or just on a paper towel ? FN stump pricing. coffee is ready bye bye ....LGI

Reactions: bigtim1988

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Still have no power at home on Long Island . Funny how the storm passed late Tuesday afternoon then afterwards the weather turned beautiful and then 11 pm power shut off. Have seen many power company trucks at places such as the the bagel store or town park, everywhere but up on the f***en poles. Anyway we were given an estimate of Thursday 1pm, then on Thurs it was changed to Saturday, now changed to Sunday . I guess the guys need the one day of double time . So that’s my rant. I do have a generator that powers the entire house and I also provide lines for 2 neighbors houses because not only are hockey players considered the best people but hockey fans are too. (Except Rangers fans at the NVMC)

So now the real reason for this post . I had a maybe 75’ or taller tree fall across the yard from the storm . It actually fell in the only direction that would not hit a house or power lines . Finally got a response from 2 different tree guys . Remember it’s already laying on the ground . No climbers needed..
#1 - $6,000

was thinking I break out the chain saw , do a little each day, have enough firewood for 3 winters and call the prick just to do the stump . At that point I know he won’t come for that . Is the stump not part of the tree ? Did you want your turkey sandwich on some form of bread or just on a paper towel ? FN stump pricing. coffee is ready bye bye ....LGI

Get a chainsaw, cut everything up. Wait a couple months when these companies dont have as much work and get a couple of estimates, you will probably get the stump out for half the price.

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
Not much rain here in Lindenhurst, as expected, but some brutal winds. Lots of tree limbs in the streets. Power went on and off a handful of times but somehow has stayed on for the last half hour or so.

Sun peeking out now as well :huh:
*Waves* Hello fellow Lindenhurst resident!

Reactions: nyisles

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017

#1 - $6,000

I've worked for a few tree companies in the last few years, when storms hit there's a tendency to cash in especially if insurance claims are involved.
$1300 sounds to me like an absolute ripoff to grind up the stump...even to take away the 'grindings' that are left. Even with a large diameter trunk it should never be that much. The only possible 'excuses' would be location of the tree itself and if fencing has to be taken down to allow access to the grinder which is usually at most 3 ft wide.
Dumping fees depending on where they dump (and size of their truck & size of your tree) shouldn't put those estimates as high as they are but then again I'm not sure of the size and location of the tree. Part of the business unfortunately is trying to make the most amount money with the least amount of work so they could move on to the next job. Not sure who you got estimates from either, some local guys work cheaper than others.
I don't have access to the saws and equipment as of late, but if you need help making a call to those I worked for let me know and while I can't guarantee anything I'll see what I can do. And if you need any help, I have some time off. Off of 107/Wantagh ave near the old Grumman site.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
crazy storm, somewhat surprised by the number of power outages given the mid tropical storm winds we saw. I hope everyone made it safe - too many without lights tonight and lots of trees down everywhere. hopefully PSEG who is "prepared and ready" will manage to get some lights back on soon!
KFRG reported a 78 MPH gust. I don’t know for certain, but I’d imagine that’s the strongest winds since Sandy... if not, it’s sure as heck close

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I've worked for a few tree companies in the last few years, when storms hit there's a tendency to cash in especially if insurance claims are involved.
$1300 sounds to me like an absolute ripoff to grind up the stump...even to take away the 'grindings' that are left. Even with a large diameter trunk it should never be that much. The only possible 'excuses' would be location of the tree itself and if fencing has to be taken down to allow access to the grinder which is usually at most 3 ft wide.
Dumping fees depending on where they dump (and size of their truck & size of your tree) shouldn't put those estimates as high as they are but then again I'm not sure of the size and location of the tree. Part of the business unfortunately is trying to make the most amount money with the least amount of work so they could move on to the next job. Not sure who you got estimates from either, some local guys work cheaper than others.
I don't have access to the saws and equipment as of late, but if you need help making a call to those I worked for let me know and while I can't guarantee anything I'll see what I can do. And if you need any help, I have some time off. Off of 107/Wantagh ave near the old Grumman site.

thanks for the offer . Just put in 5 hours with the chainsaw and made a nice dent . The wife and kids were dragging the small branches to the street . I do not work for Dewalt but my new ( why not treat myself) 20volt lithium chainsaw works magic . It’s maybe better than the gas one I use on the big stuff because it’s so light one hand is all you need to cut up anything about 8”-10” diameter or the smaller branches . Of course only the real chainsaws for the bigger work . Another day like today and might have it all on the ground . The tree had such long branches that after it fell it was still 30-40’ high .

side note —
Neighbor comes over because he can see me in the tree or on the trampoline making cuts . Does he offer to help no but that’s fine . What he did do is bring over a bottle of this peanut butter brandy ( I think it was brandy ) and a bottle of chambord. OMG ....Nothing like drinking your peanut butter and jelly then using a chainsaw . For those concerned I’m done for the day with the power tools . LGI

Reactions: brachyrynchos

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island

#1 - $6,000

Holy shit that’s a ripoff.

I just had (pre storm) 4 stumps ground for $500. One of which was a locust stump close to 4ft in diameter.
If I were you, I’d cut the tree up self, wait a month or 2 and then have the stump done. You’d get better prices.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The number of large old trees still down around Queens is staggering. The damage here reminds me of Hurricane Irene in 2011.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
anyone else notice the leaves falling off the trees like it's october? since the storm all my trees leaves have gone brown and i think im gonna have to rake them up soon

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
anyone else notice the leaves falling off the trees like it's october? since the storm all my trees leaves have gone brown and i think im gonna have to rake them up soon
Salt spray. The south side of all my trees were absolutely destroyed (along with plants on the south-side of my house)

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Lol. Was wondering if anyone was going to catch that. Sorry. I have near zero formal education in meteorology.

I misspoke. Thoughts and prayers should help, right?
I’m just busting your chops haha

seriously though, I do hope everyone is ok. My GF just got power back last night, and I’m sure there are still plenty of people without

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
GOES16-GM-13-1000x1000.gif
https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov//GOES16/ABI/SECTOR/GM/13/GOES16-GM-13-1000x1000.gif

absolutely devastating Category 4 Hurricane Laura aiming for Lake Charles Louisiana with 140mph winds which could be even stronger by landfall late tonight. Storm surge over 20 feet possible. if you know anyone in western Louisiana tell them to get out NOW - the storm surge will be "unsurvivable" This will make Isaias look like a day at disney land when it's done....getting close to Hurricane Camille level to my eyes. scary stuff...

Last edited:

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Looks like the storm surge ended up lower than 'unsurvivable' but I'm still glad this was taken seriously. I know some on LI get pissed when weather is reported and it's not as bad as they said on TV..... but that shit saves lives.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Looks like the storm surge ended up lower than 'unsurvivable' but I'm still glad this was taken seriously. I know some on LI get pissed when weather is reported and it's not as bad as they said on TV..... but that shit saves lives.
I never understood cursing out the weather forecasters or municipalities about erring on the side of caution. I worked for the MTA from 1982-2016 and I've seen how many times trains and buses got stuck because we kept running service through a snowstorm.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Looks like there is the potential for some wild weather over the island tonight. Supercells forming upstate expected to drop south this evening. Tornado watch issued. What do our meteorologist have to say?

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Not meteorologist, but it would suck to live out east right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad