OT: Severe Weather Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Luckily I am still a junior in college, but I can already tell it's not happening. I'll be certified birth-5th grade, what about you?

Where are you moving? Girlfriend and I both going for teaching, although she's dual language so she may have an easier time than I would to be honest.

Suburbs north of Nashville. Hendersonville, White House, Gallatin...somewhere around there. I'm HOPING that it won't be as oversaturated there, meaning there won't be 4000 teachers for every teaching job. Plus, money goes way further down there. I lived on LI my entire line minus my time in the Army, and I'm ready to move on. LI is just too expensive to plant roots. Plus, down south they love their veterans, so hopefully I can get a leg up on other applicatants just cuz of that.

What area you going into? Elementary, Adolescent, Special Ed?

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
models have just started to lock into the storm today. we've seen a bit of a shift towards colder solutions for the weekend storm. i'd still like to see some consistency develop in the models before making any formal declarations, but a low confidence forecast would be several inches of accumulating snow overnight, followed by a changeover to rain, sometime on sunday. exactly how that unfolds is critical, but at least several inches of snow is likely. upstate could see a few feet....

NYIsles84

Dec 26, 2006
New York
models have just started to lock into the storm today. we've seen a bit of a shift towards colder solutions for the weekend storm. i'd still like to see some consistency develop in the models before making any formal declarations, but a low confidence forecast would be several inches of accumulating snow overnight, followed by a changeover to rain, sometime on sunday. exactly how that unfolds is critical, but at least several inches of snow is likely. upstate could see a few feet....
Is this forecast for the island or north and west of the city?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Suburbs north of Nashville. Hendersonville, White House, Gallatin...somewhere around there. I'm HOPING that it won't be as oversaturated there, meaning there won't be 4000 teachers for every teaching job. Plus, money goes way further down there. I lived on LI my entire line minus my time in the Army, and I'm ready to move on. LI is just too expensive to plant roots. Plus, down south they love their veterans, so hopefully I can get a leg up on other applicatants just cuz of that.

My parents cannot afford to ever retire here, I'm cool with moving though anyway. I have family that has moved down south and it is very nice down in North Carolina/South Carolina. Although North Carolina is getting more expensive now.

I've had some family members who were sick of not being able to find a teaching job here and got one directly after moving because they love their New Yorkers. Us and California go through the most shit to get certified to teach. I'll be certified for general ed and special ed in elementary. In a perfect world I would be teaching a general ed or inclusion classroom though.

You have to let me know how it goes with finding a job down there. 99.9% of my classmates are under the illusion that they will be finding teaching jobs on Long Island pretty fast, let's hope they keep trying to find jobs here while a smaller amount go elsewhere for work.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So what do you think is on the ground in Eastern Queens/Western Nassau North Shore around 1pm on Sunday?

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
So what do you think is on the ground in Eastern Queens/Western Nassau North Shore around 1pm on Sunday?

hard to say at this point, we could get several inches of snow and have it all washed away by the rain that follows, still working out the kinks in the forecast to see how well that cold air stays around. will have a hard freeze sunday night so any standing water will become ice, could make travel dangerous sunday night.

...this forecast is for Long Island btw

Reactions: NYIsles84 and MJF

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
This winter is really finding ways not to snow in this area. By Monday it’s likely most of the climate stations in the NYC metro will have less snow than Richmond, DC, Baltimore, Boston, Hartford, etc on the season. It’s been quite awhile since we’ve seen a winter like that here. Probably since the late 80s or early 90s when it seemed we couldn’t buy a big snow. That said, February could be very active. I’m inclined at the moment to think March may begin moderating again. At the very least it shouldn’t be anything like last March was.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
hard to say at this point, we could get several inches of snow and have it all washed away by the rain that follows, still working out the kinks in the forecast to see how well that cold air stays around. will have a hard freeze sunday night so any standing water will become ice, could make travel dangerous sunday night.

...this forecast is for Long Island btw
Isles are at the Coliseum at 3pm on Sunday, so I was wondering if I’ll be driving my wife’s 4x4 or my little hoopty.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

Come teach in NYC. This is my 7th year doing HS Earth Science. If math or science or even special Ed or ELL, NYC has great loan forgiveness programs. They wiped out 16k of my debt .

DM me if anyone wants teaching tips.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I bought a monster snowblower in October. Ensuring no major snow this year.

Last one I got 20 years ago when I bought my house with double driveway. It was almost 2 years before I used it.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006

Good luck! I'd love to move down south, especially somewhere in Tennessee. I teach on the island now. This will be my 19th year. Started in Bushwick for two years and found my way onto the island. Teaching and coaching, wouldn't have it any other way! Best of luck and thank you for your service. God Bless.

Reactions: islesfan186

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Outside of the initial burst of snow at the onside Saturday evening and Early overnight Saturday night, this just isn’t a snowstorm for LI, the city or even the immediate suburbs. Too much of a push of warm air above the surface.

However, that sets the stage for something worse than snow, which is ice.

There’s a fresh source of bitterly cold air just north of the area. If the winds remain out of the north or even Northeast, or turn that way before the cold can get scoured out we could be in trouble, though the best chance for ice won’t be on LI.

The most likely scenario at this point for LI is snow to snow/sleet to perhaps some freezing rain overnight to plain rain, but I’m not going to sleep on the ice potential. Too many times the low-level cold wins out and it’s colder than modeled

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Come teach in NYC. This is my 7th year doing HS Earth Science. If math or science or even special Ed or ELL, NYC has great loan forgiveness programs. They wiped out 16k of my debt .

My wife teaches in the Bronx at a renewal school. She's in her tenure year right now. How long did it take for them to wipe out your student loan debt? I'd love to get rid of hers asap.

BTW Islesfan186, if you go teach in NYC avoid renewal schools if possible.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I bought a monster snowblower in October. Ensuring no major snow this year.

Last one I got 20 years ago when I bought my house with double driveway. It was almost 2 years before I used it.

Like MJF already said, thanks for your efforts in trying to ward off the snow. For someone like me, who hates the cold and snow, it is greatly appreciated!

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Outside of the initial burst of snow at the onside Saturday evening and Early overnight Saturday night, this just isn’t a snowstorm for LI, the city or even the immediate suburbs. Too much of a push of warm air above the surface.

There’s a fresh source of bitterly cold air just north of the area. If the winds remain out of the north or even Northeast, or turn that way before the cold can get scoured out we could be in trouble, though the best chance for ice won’t be on LI.

The most likely scenario at this point for LI is snow to snow/sleet to perhaps some freezing rain overnight to plain rain, but I’m not going to sleep on the ice potential. Too many times the low-level cold wins out and it’s colder than modeled

Thanks for the info. So, it sounds like the I-95 corridor from NYC to the immediate Connecticut suburbs might not be so much snow, after noon on Sunday, but ice and slush?

Just asking because we are supposed to go into NYC on Sunday, and the weather will def impact if we drive or roll the dice on continued train service.

Thanks in advance for any insight that can be provided!

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
A freeze on Sunday night into Monday would be just a bit less dangerous thanks to the holiday. Fewer cars, and no school buses.

Seriously, I have a freaking driveway zamboni ready to go. Bring it on already. Gotta see what this baby can do.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Thanks for the info. So, it sounds like the I-95 corridor from NYC to the immediate Connecticut suburbs might not be so much snow, after noon on Sunday, but ice and slush?

Just asking because we are supposed to go into NYC on Sunday, and the weather will def impact if we drive or roll the dice on continued train service.

Thanks in advance for any insight that can be provided!

Everything will depend on how much the cold air hangs on. While everything is modeling temps to rise above freezing, we have to be careful since it has a tendency to hang on longer than expected.

With that being said, probably a burst of snow from say 6 or 7 to midnight or somewhere there about that before mixing with sleet and freezing rain then changing to rain overnight.

Next problem comes with the potential for flooding with heavy rain.

Following the storm temps will crash. It could very well be 40 if you head to the game and in the teens or 20’s leaving.

The other threat this brings is the threat for freezing on roadways. You can’t salt when it’s raining heavily since it will just wash it away, but any standing untreated water or lingering wet spots could very well freeze come Sunday so take it slow.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Weather unfit for ducks. Chance of snow, but he probably won't be there. Sunday could be fowler than Saturday, don't know what sustr wear. Isles will be dangerous if the power play getzlaf its ass.

I have never loved and hated a post more. Nice job!

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008

I am old enough to have lived through the ice storms on long island with the worst being back in 1978. No snowstorm before or since brought the destruction and misery of that ice storm. No power,heat, hot water or any way to move for over a week. There was literally nothing that the utility crews could do as everything was covered in inches of ice. No work or school for just about every long islander for a week. The house became an icebox. Thank God for our fireplace and my Dad managing to dig up a few boxes of duraflame logs. Trees and utility lines down all over the place. Cars were basically frozen as if placed in the center of an ice cube. It went from fun and exciting to cold scary and miserable fast.

Last edited:

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
My wife teaches in the Bronx at a renewal school. She's in her tenure year right now. How long did it take for them to wipe out your student loan debt? I'd love to get rid of hers asap.

Tenure process sucks, but it'll be over soon. You can apply during your 5th year of service teaching in a title 1 school. It will not be considered until the 5th year is over but before September of my 6th year I had no more loans.

I'll say this: if you can make it teaching in NYC, there won't be a single school you can't teach in.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
My parents cannot afford to ever retire here, I'm cool with moving though anyway. I have family that has moved down south and it is very nice down in North Carolina/South Carolina. Although North Carolina is getting more expensive now.

I've had some family members who were sick of not being able to find a teaching job here and got one directly after moving because they love their New Yorkers. Us and California go through the most **** to get certified to teach. I'll be certified for general ed and special ed in elementary. In a perfect world I would be teaching a general ed or inclusion classroom though.

You have to let me know how it goes with finding a job down there. 99.9% of my classmates are under the illusion that they will be finding teaching jobs on Long Island pretty fast, let's hope they keep trying to find jobs here while a smaller amount go elsewhere for work.

For sure. Let your classmates continue to be delusional. Unless you know someone and have an in, it's ridiculously hard to get a full time teaching gig on LI. All through college I was told I would be scooped up in a heart beat cuz I was a male and a veteran, and both are rare as hell in the elementary setting. Well...hasn't been the case. I did a private gig in Bayside last year and now I'm perm subbing in RVC for very little. I did a charter school gig for a bit in Hempstead as well. Pay is great but is the most toxic environment I've ever worked in and left after 2 months.
Good luck with EDTPA. Such a garbage part of our cert. Not to mention expensive.

What is that?

I applied to NYC and the only offers I got were from rough areas in the Bronx. Wasn't too thrilled with that idea. Thought it would be ironic to spend 7 years in the military only to get shot AFTER I got out lol. At least in the army I could shoot back. In NY it takes a f***ing act of god just to get a pistol permit...not even a carry permit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad