Proposal: Seth Jones for M. Marner

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Marner is no where near worth Jones. Jones is a #1 guy on almost every team. And why would Columbus weaken their defence for this. Makes no sense fot them

Because they need scoring and Marner is on pace for 100. He's definitely worth Jones and he's younger. Sure he makes more money but he's an elite forward. Jones is their best but Columbus has depth on D, weak at forward.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
What? Jones just turned 25.

I guess Mitch is only going to be as good as he is for another couple years or so?

How do you even begin to back up a statement that ridiculous?
Jones ceiling is lower than Marners although he hit or hitting it sooner. Marner has more potential. The only reason it would ever be considered is the leafs have so many offensive weapons already. As a pens fan I consider marner better than jake Guentzel but I still wouldn't trade jake for jones straight up. Jones is a great stud D man dont get me wrong but in the long run marner more valuable. Will jones even finish top 5 in Norris voting this year?

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Jones has 4 goals !!!! Rookie john Marino has 4 goals.....jones is a career minus player . While is not a wily old veteran he is already 25 and not getting younger. For a leafs point of view jones for nylander plus pick/prospect is more realistic

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Toronto has 44 more goals than Columbus? They must be way ahead of the injury riddled Blue Jackets... Oh wait. Its almost like if you play good defense you dont need to score as many goals to win... what a weird thought
Jones isnt going to reduce that total a whole lot and losing a quality forward reduces your goal for total..your logic is what ? Finding a balance is key. Jones for nylnader plus is fair

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Jones isnt going to reduce that total a whole lot and losing a quality forward reduces your goal for total..your logic is what ? Finding a balance is key. Jones for nylnader plus is fair
Its really not and if a trade like that was fair you dont think it would have been done by now? Also if you dont think having a defenseman you can send out in all situations for 25 minutes a night has much of a reduction in goals against then I dont know what to tell you bud. Defense is kind of supposed to be their main job

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Jones has 4 goals !!!! Rookie john Marino has 4 goals.....jones is a career minus player . While is not a wily old veteran he is already 25 and not getting younger. For a leafs point of view jones for nylander plus pick/prospect is more realistic
Mathews and a 3rd for Dubinsky is closer then what you're proposing

Reactions: Viqsi and Fro

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

Seth Jones hasn't been a minus player in over 3 years since his 21 year old season. That's 276 games. Always leaf it to a Leaf fan to make up ignorant crap

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Jones isnt worth marner or guentzel or kane or ovie or Marchand..

His level would be Taylor hall ish...

Dubas would never trade marner for Jones. Again jones on pace for 7 goals and 45 points. Will not be in top 3 for Norris. His team outside the playoff picture . He wouldn't even be a number one of the leafs.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
While trading Marner for Jones would really balance out the core of the Leafs roster, taking contracts into account, I see no reason why the Jackets would do this.

It is fun to think of a core of 2 franchise centers (Matthews, Tavares), a top line winger (Nylander) and 2 1D (Jones and Rielly) with all the depth the Leafs have behind them.

Devils advocate here:

Defence wins championships, but goals and offence put buts in seats. CBJ is bottom third for both goals scored and attendance

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Devils advocate here:

Defence wins championships, but goals and offence put buts in seats. CBJ is bottom third for both goals scored and attendance
Because hockey will never be more popular in ohio the OSU football. Our attendance doesnt rise until after the season is over every year. We have one of the roudiest crowds in hockey as well. And Trading Jones for what would amount to... 25? Extra points osnt worth it. The crazy thing is jones is having a down year at his numbers.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Dubas would never trade marner for Jones. Again jones on pace for 7 goals and 45 points. Will not be in top 3 for Norris. His team outside the playoff picture . He wouldn't even be a number one of the leafs.
So is Marner not worth Werenski because Marner as a forward has less goals?
Also Toronto is the one outside the playoff picture

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
So is Marner not worth Werenski because Marner as a forward has less goals?
Also Toronto is the one outside the playoff picture
dont acknowledge the troll let them where themselves out by not responding to them

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Devils advocate here:

The team lost Panarin and that led to a couple hundred less people in the seats, nothing crazy. Columbus is a smaller market than a place like Toronto, what sells tickets is winning

Reactions: mikeyp24

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Clicked on this thread just to see the batshit responses it would get and was not disappointed.

The only conclusion I can draw is that some of these people have absolutely no idea who Seth Jones is. If Dubas was offered this he would have Marner stuffed into the trunk of his car and on the way to the airport before the ink had a chance to dry

Reactions: GOilers88 and Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
buddy have you seen how good mitch marner is, where have you been, marner is the spark plug for the leafs, I think you should check more video of him, and yes I know jones is good but not like you say top 3 defender in the league, he was traded for ryan Johansson, mitch marner is twice the player, the only reason I mentioned this is cause leafs are in dire need of dman period and the only way you can get value is to trade value...
Even for a slightly used Ryan Johansen?
New rule: If you bring up Johansen in a Jones trade proposal thread, you automatically lose.

See, when he was traded for Johansen, Jones was a prospect defenseman playing on the 3rd pair with some upside yet to be realized. He's developed a little bit since then.

* * *​
Nonexistent scenarios don't need to be accounted for. He'd never be offered.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Clicked on this thread just to see the bat**** responses it would get and was not disappointed.

The only conclusion I can draw is that some of these people have absolutely no idea who Seth Jones is. If Dubas was offered this he would have Marner stuffed into the trunk of his car and on the way to the airport before the ink had a chance to dry
jones is good no doubt. Number one D man on jackets. Is he better than Morgan in Toronto? Debatable. Dubas would not trade marner for Jones straight up. Marner younger more ceiling will score 100 plus points at some point. All star. Best yet to come. Jones best is here and it's good but not marner potential good. Again as a penguins fan I would NOT trade jones for jake Guentzel. Letang plays same mins in all situations as a number one d man and we still won cup without him .

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

So you're trolling since you cant be bothered to read the standings

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
jones is good no doubt. Number one D man on jackets. Is he better than Morgan in Toronto? Debatable. Dubas would not trade marner for Jones straight up. Marner younger more ceiling will score 100 plus points at some point. All star. Best yet to come. Jones best is here and it's good but not marner potential good. Again as a penguins fan I would NOT trade jones for jake Guentzel. Letang plays same mins in all situations as a number one d man and we still won cup without him .
Oh, you're a Pens fan. I was kind of wondering what was going on.
pat.gif

See, there's two kinds of Pens fans out there when it comes to the Jackets - those who do the "yeah, they've got decent folks; they're not US, but they're still competitive" thing, and then there's folks like this who act like Battle of Alberta types with rabies.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Oh, you're a Pens fan. I was kind of wondering what was going on.
pat.gif

See, there's two kinds of Pens fans out there when it comes to the Jackets - those who do the "yeah, they've got decent folks; they're not US, but they're still competitive", and then there's folks like this who act like Battle of Alberta types with rabies.
I have nothing against the jackets at all. I actually like torts. Has nothing to do with the pens at all. Jones is 25 not getting younger getting outscored. Like Tyson barrie has as many points. Klefbom has more blocked shots !!! ...there are 30 d men withore points.. he is only a plus 4. Point is leafs not trading a 100 point winger who is younger and more potential. Leafs fans argue Morgan is better and they may be right

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad