Proposal: Seth Jones for M. Marner

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
So you admit that as much as Leaf fans can be homers, "neutral" fans can be exactly the same but opposite?
Not at all. But even neutral fans can see marner is an exceptional young talent that us now signed and wants to be in Toronto . Add to this the tennis built around him and Matthew's and it caters to his play. He lead them in scoring last season and was in pace for 100 point this year . Even neutral fans know it would be ridiculous to mess with this by acquiring a player who is debatable equal. The player you mentioned may or may not be a 1D on his respective team but would struggle to unseat morgan as leafs 1D. Marner will most likey retire a leaf and I think all sides are happy with that. Very very few players that dubas would exchange for marner .

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
So you admit that as much as Leaf fans can be homers, "neutral" fans can be exactly the same but opposite?

I’ve never said otherwise. The only thing I’ve noticed is the number of homers seems larger on the leaf side if I’m being honest

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
A lot of non Leaf fans said he was driving the line, and that he deserved the same contract as Matthews. Matthews, as in the threads before Marner signed, is still the best player on the Leafs. A lot of opinions changed before and after his signing. Not only some Leaf fans. BTW, there are still some Leafs fans who continue to believe
“Marner is the engine that drives the leafs..."though I don't think anyone said they would trade him for anyone. However Marner fits right in. More than Nylander less than Tavares.

That’s my point, that a lot of opinions changed after the signings. That’s why this “look at the leaf hate, they changed opinions” narrative gets exhausting. And yes there have been posters that said “wouldn’t trade him for anyone” I am aware that’s a small small percentile, but the post I responded to was talking about a small small percentile as well

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
That’s my point, that a lot of opinions changed after the signings. That’s why this “look at the leaf hate, they changed opinions” narrative gets exhausting. And yes there have been posters that said “wouldn’t trade him for anyone” I am aware that’s a small small percentile, but the post I responded to was talking about a small small percentile as well
I agree that the idea of Leaf hate gets overused on the board, but "that is why everyone hates Leaf fans" is a thought terminating cliche on the board. There were also posters who get confused as to what board they are on on the main boards when there is a Leaf related thread. Just compare the excellent Tom Wilson assist thread with the Auston Matthews one. Anyway, I agree Leaf hate is an over used defense mechanism on the board,though it is certainly present in some posters.

Reactions: Dache

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
On the other hand, Jones is only under contract for two more years after this one, Marner's signed for six. If Columbus is sure they can resign Jones then it's a tougher decision but if not, trading Jones for Marner seems like the obvious move.

In a vacuum (not considering contracts) it would be super close. They're both among the best players in the league at their positions but Dmen are harder to find so that's in favour of Jones. But then Marner is two and a half years younger which is a substantial difference so really hard to decide. Can't go wrong with either one so flip a coin I guess.
Two and a half years is not a substantial age difference. Not in sports. Not in life. Nowhere.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
TSN latest mid season report of top 50 players doesnt even have seth Jones in it....marner comfortably makes the list...

Reactions: Sniper99

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Two and a half years is not a substantial age difference. Not in sports. Not in life. Nowhere.

Sorry but that's just wrong and in the NHL it's very substantial. Think about how long the average NHL career is and how few prime years players have and then get back to me (hopefully to retract your comment) Two and a half years for a star player just coming into his prime is massive!

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Sorry but that's just wrong and in the NHL it's very substantial. Think about how long the average NHL career is and how few prime years players have and then get back to me (hopefully to retract your comment) Two and a half years for a star player just coming into his prime is massive!
It's really not.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's really not.

Really?

I'm going to guess you're an Oiler fan. So just as an example, what's more valuable:

1 - 25 year old Connor McDavid
2 - 22.5 year old Connor McDavid (projected career and prime 2.5 years longer)

If you really don't see any difference here then that's fine, I'd be curious as to what your reasoning is though. I personally think it's rather obvious than option 2 is clearly better as you're getting 2.5 extra years of a star player.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
On the other hand, Jones is only under contract for two more years after this one, Marner's signed for six. If Columbus is sure they can resign Jones then it's a tougher decision but if not, trading Jones for Marner seems like the obvious move.

If they could afford to take on Marner's enormous contract, why would they not be able to pony up for Jones?

Their General Manager isn't going to get bent over for nearly $11 million in a negotiation, and even if he did, in your scenario, they are willing to pay one player that cap hit.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If they could afford to take on Marner's enormous contract, why would they not be able to pony up for Jones?

Their General Manager isn't going to get bent over for nearly $11 million in a negotiation, and even if he did, in your scenario, they are willing to pay one player that cap hit.

It doesn't matter what they're able to do if Jones decides he'd rather play somewhere else.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Really?

I'm going to guess you're an Oiler fan. So just as an example, what's more valuable:

1 - 25 year old Connor McDavid
2 - 22.5 year old Connor McDavid (projected career and prime 2.5 years longer)

If you really don't see any difference here then that's fine, I'd be curious as to what your reasoning is though. I personally think it's rather obvious than option 2 is clearly better as you're getting 2.5 extra years of a star player.
Nothing you say will convince me that two years is a substantial age difference in any facet of life. Have to agree to disagree.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Nothing you say will convince me that two years is a substantial age difference in any facet of life. Have to agree to disagree.

The issue isn't ages, it's that the ages translate into career length. For example, take 2 players with a 2 year age difference:

Player A - projected to play for X more years, 3 of those being prime years
Player B - projected to play for X+2 more years, 5 of those being prime years

NHL careers are short, the portion of careers where players are in their primes is shorter still. All other things being equal, player B is much more valuable and those two extra years make it a classic no-brainer.

My apologies for making one last attempt to make things clear. You've said nothing I say will convince you and that's fine, agree to disagree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad