Proposal: Seth Jones for M. Marner

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I still dont understand why the Preds ever got rid of Jones especially for Ryjo.
Desperate need for a #1C. Which Joey was at the time of the trade. Both players have changed a bit since the trade - Jones has developed further, whereas Joey, alas, decided that it was no longer necessary to shoot the puck.

* * *​
TML don't have the pieces to land Jones.
In theory, they do, but it wouldn't profit them to give that player up, and the Jackets wouldn't be interested in such a radical change to how the team is built anyways.

* * *​
It depends on team needs. I think Toronto would prefer the defenceman. Columbus might too, but they might see an all star winger as a key cog in their offense with PLD, Atkinson and Anderson, or similar teams with similar strengths and weaknesses.
I can tell you right now that if we were going in that direction, we'd need a center rather than a winger.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
And the leafs brass think the same about marner...especially being younger and when your team is built around him. There has been a lot of talk about $$$ and in the real world this plays into it but eventually they will be close . The kid lead the team in scoring with 94 points! Was on pace for 100 this year. He is the real deal.
This is simply not true. Dubas first signed Matthews than Marner, which should tell you, who is the more important building block for Toronto's management. Sure Marner isn't an interchangeable piece. But the Leafs are build around the Tavares/Matthews combo.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
This is simply not true. Dubas first signed Matthews than Marner, which should tell you, who is the more important building block for Toronto's management. Sure Marner isn't an interchangeable piece. But the Leafs are build around the Tavares/Matthews combo.
Incorrect. The mold of leafs was created before Tavares and this included marner. Tavares was just a bonus that he chose toronto via free agency.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Larkin does deserve to be on that list.
He makes 6 million and he is a line driver. He has a completely ****ty team.
I don't say Larkin is a bad player and he is definitely not overpaid, but he doesn't belong in the same tier of assets.
Would Edm consider to trade Draisaitl for Larkin? NO. Detroit? Instantly
Would Bos consider to trade Pasternak for Larkin? NO. Detroit? Very likely, despite the lack of a 1C
Would Tor consider to trade Mathews for Larkin? NO. Detroit? Instantly
Would Wpg consider to trade Scheifele for Larkin? NO. Detroit? Only maybe, because Larkin's age looks like a better fit for the rest of the roster
Would Van consider to trade Pettersson for Larkin? NO. Detroit? Instantly
Would Col consider to trade Rantanen for Larkin? NO. Detroit? Very likely, despite the lack of a 1C

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I don't say Larkin is a bad player and he is definitely not overpaid, but he doesn't belong in the same tier of assets.
Would Edm consider to trade Draisaitl for Larkin? NO. Detroit? Instantly
Would Bos consider to trade Pasternak for Larkin? NO. Detroit? Very likely, despite the lack of a 1C
Would Tor consider to trade Mathews for Larkin? NO. Detroit? Instantly
Would Wpg consider to trade Scheifele for Larkin? NO. Detroit? Only maybe, because Larkin's age looks like a better fit for the rest of the roster
Would Van consider to trade Pettersson for Larkin? NO. Detroit? Instantly
Would Col consider to trade Rantanen for Larkin? NO. Detroit? Very likely, despite the lack of a 1C
Larkin is just above nylnader in value. Not close to marner or matthews. Good player , detroit should keep

Reactions: mikeyp24

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I’d pick Jones even if they were both free agents, but with the conctracts they got it’s Jones easily, top 10 defender (at worst) with 5,4million cap his is far more valuable than top 10 winger with 10,8million deal. Toronto would absolutely not say no, they’d get better defensively by aqcuiring Jones and they could sign 2 scoring wingers with the remaining cap space.

On the other hand, Jones is only under contract for two more years after this one, Marner's signed for six. If Columbus is sure they can resign Jones then it's a tougher decision but if not, trading Jones for Marner seems like the obvious move.

In a vacuum (not considering contracts) it would be super close. They're both among the best players in the league at their positions but Dmen are harder to find so that's in favour of Jones. But then Marner is two and a half years younger which is a substantial difference so really hard to decide. Can't go wrong with either one so flip a coin I guess.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Jones is one piece and one is not going to fix the Leafs D. A Jones Marner deal would just free up 5.4 to add another D. They could be better served to find a team that's out of the playoff picture and snag their 3-4 guys and fill the D with a deadline UFA D guy like a Vatanan and focus on the D playing D and let those forwards score. If Matthews, Nylander, Tavares and Kapanen can not carry the load scoring then the system needs to be looked at.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
On the other hand, Jones is only under contract for two more years after this one, Marner's signed for six. If Columbus is sure they can resign Jones then it's a tougher decision but if not, trading Jones for Marner seems like the obvious move.

In a vacuum (not considering contracts) it would be super close. They're both among the best players in the league at their positions but Dmen are harder to find so that's in favour of Jones. But then Marner is two and a half years younger which is a substantial difference so really hard to decide. Can't go wrong with either one so flip a coin I guess.
But the main goal is to win cups, Toronto’s current structure is build to win now/soon, a #1 defender in Jones who is yet to even hit his prime and pretty much guaranteed 40-60points and freed up cap space for a 2 years would go far in achieving that, and also would buy Toronto time to tweak roster for resigning him.

Reactions: GOilers88

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
And the leafs brass think the same about marner...especially being younger and when your team is built around him. There has been a lot of talk about $$$ and in the real world this plays into it but eventually they will be close . The kid lead the team in scoring with 94 points! Was on pace for 100 this year. He is the real deal.

You act like Seth Jones is 30 years old. Yeah, Marner is younger...but okay? They're both very young.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
But the main goal is to win cups, Toronto’s current structure is build to win now/soon, a #1 defender in Jones who is yet to even hit his prime and pretty much guaranteed 40-60points and freed up cap space for a 2 years would go far in achieving that, and also would buy Toronto time to tweak roster for resigning him.

That's not true at all, all the core pieces are young and most of them are very young, their window of opportunity extends way beyond two years.

If Jones ends up walking it's a complete disaster so they'd need to be almost certain he'd resign to trade Marner for him.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
You act like Seth Jones is 30 years old. Yeah, Marner is younger...but okay? They're both very young.
Yes not super old however I believe he is in for a considerable raise in 2 years when marner is already signed . Money wise won't be much different in 2 years. Marner a core piece and who your team is built around. I believe nylnader would be the first to go

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Jones for McDavid?;)
trouble.gif

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Fine, Jones for Bjugstad. Gives Columbus their center you said they'd need and a replacement for Johansen (they're both tall). Toss in a 3rd or 4th round pick if you want to balance it a bit more.
Nah, we're still getting too much. Tell you what, we'll take back that old injured Crosby guy back as a cap dump. Sound fair? ;)

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Every single thread about the Leafs F

"Marner is the best player on the Leafs and the others are over rated. Turned JT into a 47 goal scorer"

Every thread involving trading Marner

"LOL no. That contract, blah blah".

Pick a side I guess is my point.

every thread before Marner signed, leaf fans “Marner was carried by JT”

every thread after, same leaf fans “Marner is the engine that drives the leafs. Wouldn’t trade him for anyone”

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
every thread before Marner signed, leaf fans “Marner was carried by JT”

every thread after, same leaf fans “Marner is the engine that drives the leafs. Wouldn’t trade him for anyone”
A lot of non Leaf fans said he was driving the line, and that he deserved the same contract as Matthews. Matthews, as in the threads before Marner signed, is still the best player on the Leafs. A lot of opinions changed before and after his signing. Not only some Leaf fans. BTW, there are still some Leafs fans who continue to believe
“Marner is the engine that drives the leafs..."though I don't think anyone said they would trade him for anyone. However Marner fits right in. More than Nylander less than Tavares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->