Seth Jones and his future (Sportsnet reports he intends to test free agency)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pscbj80

Aug 1, 2020
Depends if they can talk him into the MacKinnon discount or not.

Must be nice to have players take discounts to stay on the team.
Not sure Mackinnon took a discount on purpose. I believe he had like 40 and 50 points his last two years of his ELC. Anyway, it would be nice to have players take discounts to stay. Doesn't seem to happen in the NHL though unless a GM decides to risk a long term deal off an ELC for guys like Scheifele, Seth, and Mackinnon.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Not sure Mackinnon took a discount on purpose. I believe he had like 40 and 50 points his last two years of his ELC. Anyway, it would be nice to have players take discounts to stay. Doesn't seem to happen in the NHL though unless a GM decides to risk a long term deal off an ELC for guys like Scheifele, Seth, and Mackinnon.

Landeskog’s deal was probably more team friendly looking back at it at the time it was signed but Rantanen really got paid coming off his ELC. They are lucky they still have 2 years left on Mackinnon’s deal before his payday kicks in. Probably even more reason they won’t be able to afford Jones and Makar on the same team with Rantanen, MacKinnon, and Landedkog.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Zero chance the avalanche can afford him. Grubauer is UFA. Makar will and should earn more than Jones. Landeskog is a UFA that they need to resign.

That deal could maybe find a way to squeeze under the cap this coming season but I doubt the could afford his next deal.

They can bridge Makar if they want to make it work and they could also submit a hardship waiver for EJ to be exempt from the expansion draft. His career could actually be over. that opens top 4 RHD of Makar and Jones. Avs can manage this. Hell if Tampa could get by without losing anyone this year, the Avs have a cake walk.

Colorado can fit Jones in without too much trouble over the next couple years, he might sign for just $2m or $3m more than Girard did, assuming that would be the swap. And Mackinnon is still on a sweet deal. After that is obviously when it gets tricky. They still have the option of making it work but they will have to make some tough choices. What do you value more: Jones, Landeskog, or a high-priced starting goalie?

You can only have one of those, maybe two if they both give you discounts. After Jones' regular season this year, I could understand not going with him. But he gives them something that they don't have that they need - an all-around stud who is not threatened at all by a heavy playoff forecheck.

A D core of

Toews - Makar
Byram - Jones
Chiarot - Timmins
Barron

is bonkers. Their current D group is an elite defensive core for the regular season. That D group would be an elite defensive core for the playoffs.

Depends if they can talk him into the MacKinnon discount or not.

Mackinnon didn't give a discount. He just went from a dull predictable 1B center to an incredibly dynamic superstar, basically in a year!

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Colorado can fit Jones in without too much trouble over the next couple years, he might sign for just $2m or $3m more than Girard did, assuming that would be the swap. And Mackinnon is still on a sweet deal. After that is obviously when it gets tricky. They still have the option of making it work but they will have to make some tough choices. What do you value more: Jones, Landeskog, or a high-priced starting goalie?

You can only have one of those, maybe two if they both give you discounts. After Jones' regular season this year, I could understand not going with him. But he gives them something that they don't have that they need - an all-around stud who is not threatened at all by a heavy playoff forecheck.

A D core of

Toews - Makar
Byram - Jones
Chiarot - Timmins
Barron

is bonkers. Their current D group is an elite defensive core for the regular season. That D group would be an elite defensive core for the playoffs.

Mackinnon didn't give a discount. He just went from a dull predictable 1B center to an incredibly dynamic superstar, basically in a year!

I think they value their captain Landeskog and a goalie. They don’t sniff being in the position they were in without Grubauer.

They still have to let people walk like Saad to try to make it fit because Grubauer and Landeskog are going to get raises.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

A D core of

Toews - Makar
Byram - Jones
Chiarot - Timmins
Barron

Avs have E. Johnson with M-NTC, NMC and his salary is enough problem for them. Colorado Avalanche - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps . And I doubt Colorado is in the situation like we with Dubinsky.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Avs have E. Johnson with M-NTC, NMC and his salary is enough problem for them. Colorado Avalanche - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps . And I doubt Colorado is in the situation like we with Dubinsky.
This is the wild card. There is no definitive answer that Johnson is permanently on LTIR. As of 4 weeks ago, Johnson was still hoping to be able to play again and Colorado might be forced into buying him out if he gets medically cleared. If they have to buy him out, that's 2 million against the cap for 4 years.

Erik Johnson “wants to play” but symptoms persist

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
This is the wild card. There is no definitive answer that Johnson is permanently on LTIR. As of 4 weeks ago, Johnson was still hoping to be able to play again and Colorado might be forced into buying him out if he gets medically cleared. If they have to buy him out, that's 2 million against the cap for 4 years.

Erik Johnson “wants to play” but symptoms persist

If this so (UFA + possible trades):

E. Johnson - $4,000,000
Girard - $5,000,000
Graves - $3,166,667
Nemeth - $1,500,000
Saad (maybe) - $5,000,000
Nichushkin/Compher - $2,500,000/$3,500,000
----------------------------
$21,166,667/$22,166,667

Jones - $5,400,000
Makar - around $8,000,000 (+$7,119,167)
Landeskog - around $7,571,429 (+2,000,000)
Grubauer (or better goalie) - minimum $5,333,333 (+$2,000,000)
----------------------
$16,519,167 round to $16,300,000 ;)

but

Burakovsky ($4,900,000) contract to 2021/22 UFA
Kadri ($4,500,000) contract to 2021/22 UFA

and it`s only math because if Avs don`t resign, for example, Saad they must find another player/s.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think they value their captain Landeskog and a goalie. They don’t sniff being in the position they were in without Grubauer.

They still have to let people walk like Saad to try to make it fit because Grubauer and Landeskog are going to get raises.

Honestly I don't agree about Grubauer. This was his best regular season but in the other seasons and playoffs he hasn't done enough to merit a big raise.

Landeskog will be overpaid too if he comes in over $8m. He does a lot for the Avs but he wouldn't be a big scorer on another team.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Honestly I don't agree about Grubauer. This was his best regular season but in the other seasons and playoffs he hasn't done enough to merit a big raise.

Landeskog will be overpaid too if he comes in over $8m. He does a lot for the Avs but he wouldn't be a big scorer on another team.
Grubauer is going to get a raise. He is a Vezina finalist. If Colorado doesn't pay him somebody will and they still need to pay somebody to play in goal. Dubnyk is also UFA and old. If they want to trade for Korpisalo and Jones in a package deal to replace Grubauer I'm fine with that too but Grubauer is going to be paid more than the 3.3 he made this year. He's not getting a Bob contract but he's getting a raise.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Grubauer is going to get a raise. He is a Vezina finalist. If Colorado doesn't pay him somebody will and they still need to pay somebody to play in goal. Dubnyk is also UFA and old. If they want to trade for Korpisalo and Jones in a package deal to replace Grubauer I'm fine with that too but Grubauer is going to be paid more than the 3.3 he made this year. He's not getting a Bob contract but he's getting a raise.

He will but I think Colorado will think long and hard about whether they want to be the team to pay him.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He will but I think Colorado will think long and hard about whether they want to be the team to pay him.
Then I definitely suggest we send them Korpisalo because the goalie trade market will dry up quickly with the amount of goalies hitting UFA right now. His cheaper cap hit will help them.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH

It is amazing how fans of other teams feel like Jones could be had for a couple of sixth round picks and a used puck bag. The guy is a perennial all-star and is always mentioned in the top echelon of d-men. I think what hurts Seth's numbers is the fact he is paired with Werenski. It's too bad the guy deleted his tweet, because more people need to understand that he's not going to be cheap despite not wanting to be here.

Reactions: thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

I'll agree about the discount. The notion that his high level performance was unpredictable is false. He was a first overall pick with all the tools and it took him a few years to become an elite performer-a perfectly normal career arc for anyone not named McDavid.

He was also on terrible teams. The Avs made the playoffs his first year (eliminated first round) and didn't qualify the next 3 years.

He's no Wild Bill equivalent.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'll agree about the discount. The notion that his high level performance was unpredictable is false. He was a first overall pick with all the tools and it took him a few years to become an elite performer-a perfectly normal career arc for anyone not named McDavid.

He was also on terrible teams. The Avs made the playoffs his first year (eliminated first round) and didn't qualify the next 3 years.

He's no Wild Bill equivalent.

Well there is only one Wild Bill. But if you look at Mackinnon's playstyle there was a dramatic change from 2016-17 to 2017-18. He always had the speed but he was predictable with it. Defenders could read what he was going to do, and goalies could read where he was going to shoot. That summer he added a whole library of fakes and pretty much doubled his scoring. It was an unusual jump. And it had nothing to do with teammates.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
O.K. tell, Colorado wants Jones. How is situation:

- MacKinnon, Rantanen and Makar are untouchable
- Burakovsky`s contract is to 2021/22 and than UFA
- Kadri is M-NTC
- Landeskog and Saad are UFA
- Byram .... a pipe dream
- Newhook... I doubt, probably a pipe dream too
- Seattle can take one from trio Girard, Graves, Toews and if Colorado interest in Jones, IMHO they don`t need Girard, so Avs must trade him still before expansion draft or make a deal with Seattle
- Jost - an interesting center but he doesn`t have a big value now so Colorado must offer more
- 1th round (28) ... probably yes

Last edited:
Reactions: Fro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad