Series won and lost in a single moment

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Missed high stick from Gretzky on Gilmour in 1993.
Not a good choice. A minor missed infraction in overtime in game 6 does decide a series -- especially when the eventual loser still has chances to win that game in overtime and win the final game at home.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Of course my mind has completely blanked that one out, bad bad memories!!! I knew the Habs would tie and win the game, you could just feel it.
Thank Christ I was only 3 and in my bed. Otherwise, I’d have THAT memory floating around with Super Bowl XLII and Game 6 of the ‘86 World Series.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I was about 14 watching the game on TV. By this time I had seen the Bruins lose 3 finals, and this was clearly their best chance to beat the Habs as well. Bad memories!

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
It was game four of the 88 finals that had game four at Boston suspended due to a power failure. The remainder of that game was played in Edmonton on the same date game 5 was scheduled.

Correct. Bruins faced Oilers in 88 and 90 finals and the three- overtime game was during 1990 playoffs. The lights out in Boston Garden happened during 1988 finals. I was also quite young at the time and despite watching those games my memory confused the two.

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Correct. Bruins faced Oilers in 88 and 90 finals and the three- overtime game was during 1990 playoffs. The lights out in Boston Garden happened during 1988 finals. I was also quite young at the time and despite watching those games my memory confused the two.

I had to double check myself. I really didn't think the B's would win in 88, and was so disappointed with game 1 and 2 of the 90 finals that I didn't really pay serious attention to them. I also just got a motorbike in 89 so I was usually nowhere near a TV if possible. I actually forgot about game 4 being resumed in Edmonton until I read it. Both series were odd for different reasons.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Also from last year...in addition to Braden Holtby in Game 2, you had the epic meltdown in Game 4 that was the beginning of the end of Vegas.

Going back to when Stevens played, what about when Tie Domi elbowed Scott Niedermayer in 2001 ECSF? Thee video is not as good here as the CBC broadcast, but I like the call here better, especially when they call Tie Domi by his government name. Scott Stevens was given a misconduct, but he had to be sent to the locker room to prevent him from killing Tie Domi. Here's the CBC broadcast of it:
Domi ended up suspended for 10 games. The terms of the suspension were: rest of the playoffs if they advanced (they did not), or the first 8 games of the next season if they didn't. Toronto won that game, but lost the series. NJ ended up going to the SCF that year, losing in 7 in a tough series against the Avs. Niedermayer would miss the rest of the playoffs, which could have had an impact in the SCF.

Last edited:
Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Also from last year...in addition to Braden Holtby in Game 2, you had the epic meltdown in Game 4 that was the beginning of the end of Vegas.

Going back to when Stevens played, what about when Tie Domi elbowed Scott Niedermayer in 2001 ECSF? Thee video is not as good here as the CBC broadcast, but I like the call here better, especially when they call Tie Domi by his government name. Scott Stevens was given a misconduct, but he had to be sent to the locker room to prevent him from killing Tie Domi. Here's the CBC broadcast of it:

Domi ended up suspended for 10 games. The terms of the suspension were: rest of the playoffs if they advanced (they did not), or the first 8 games of the next season if they didn't. Toronto won that game, but lost the series. NJ ended up going to the SCF that year, losing in 7 in a tough series against the Avs. Niedermayer would miss the rest of the playoffs, which could have had an impact in the SCF.

in that cbc clip, is stevens ordering holik to murder domi? feels like holik is some random henchman, stevens is james cahn, and lou lamoriello is brando up in the press box somewhere.

a tangent, but wanna read the most delusional, self-serving thing anybody's ever written in an autobiography?

"Scott Stevens, he would’ve been suspended probably every other game. That’s why I always chased him around. Because he always targeted guys when they were vulnerable. He never fought me. He was the type of guy who hit guys who were vulnerable. When we policed the game, we made guys accountable. That’s the bottom line. It’s a different time."

Q&A: Tie Domi on his new book, fighting in hockey

scott stevens, who played almost his entire career in the patrick division fighting dave brown, tocchet, and lindros repeatedly, whose fight card includes knuckles nilan, probert, dave manson, and several sutters... yeah he never fought domi because he was a punk, not because it was a waste of his time.

and tie domi... policed the game and made guys accountable, against other players who targeted guys when they were vulnerable. tie domi "policed the game" like we need guns in public schools to shoot the shooters.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
one of the weirdest series i can remember: vancouver vs winnipeg, 1992.

i'm not sure there's a moment, per se, but if there is it's either pavel scoring late in the first

or a couple minutes later when pavel's stick broke on his point shot on the PP and sandlak redirected his floater past tabaracci

so let me set the scene for you. 1992 was a great year for the canucks. kirk mclean had the regular season of his life and finished 4th in hart voting and runner up to roy for the vezina. linden was blossoming as one of the best power wingers in the game, picking up a stray hart vote and finishing 4th himself in all-star voting at RW. the life line (courtnall, ronning, linden) that was so good in the playoffs the previous year was complemented by a formidable second line of rookie bure with greg adams and a resurgent larionov. the bottom half of the lineup was filled with promising young guys (nedved, sandlak, kron) and veteran experience (momesso, tom fergus, ryan walter). they won the smythe for the first time ever and finished... you guessed it, 4th in the league.

game one: winnipeg steals one on the road, 3-2. no biggie. bure scores his first playoff goal.

game two: vancouver evens the series.

but then winnipeg wins the next two at home. vancouver doesn't score in either game until the third period, while already down four and three goals, respectively. and bure is pointless since game one.

meanwhile, two rookies you've never heard of are giving vancouver fits. some big kid named keith tkachuk is a force of nature and hitting everything that moves, while rick tabaracci is playing lights out. i mean light out like his .932 SV% (in 1992) is actually misleadingly low because three of the eight goals he let in were during garbage time in games where he was pitching a shutout deep into the third.

so when that bure goal went in, it was important both because he got on the board again (remember, he ended the regular season on a 22 goals in 23 game run) and because they finally got an early one on tabaracci, who was looking unbeatable.

and when that sandlak goal went in, making it 2-0, that was the kind of lucky bounce that can do things to a hot team and hot goalie's concentration and confidence. which is exactly what it did.

vancouver wins game five 8-2. tabaracci gets chased after five. bure is on the ice for four of them and finishes with a goal and three assists.

paddock starts tabaracci again, confident in his bounce-back ability and plus he was so good at home. big mistake. i call this the phil housley game. bure scores a hat trick. 8-3 vancouver.

vancouver caps off the 1-3 --> 4-3 series comeback with a resounding 5-0 win in game seven. natural hat trick by geoff courtnall. tabaracci started again, for some reason that only hitler knows.

a weird series. bob essensa was a young guy thought to be a future star, coming off his best regular season, where he was the 3rd vezina finalist and himself got a stray hart vote, but didn't start a single game in the series. bure co-led the series with eight points but seven of them came in those two games. meanwhile, tom fergus, who also scored eight points, picked up a point in every game.

and as for itchy scratchy tabaracci,

RkDateGAgeTmOppDECGASASVSV%SOPIMTOI
11992-04-18123-107WIN@VANWW21917.8950060:00
21992-04-20223-109WIN@VANLL34138.9270060:00
31992-04-22323-111WINVANWW22624.9230060:00
41992-04-24423-113WINVANWW13130.9680060:00
51992-04-26523-115WIN@VANLL52621.8080027:20
61992-04-28623-117WINVANLL83628.7780060:00
71992-04-30723-119WIN@VANLL53328.8480060:00
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I have never understood the decision to start Tabaracci over Essensa in this series. Goalie Bob was in his prime, and at 27, was nominated for the Vezina Trophy. Rick Tabaracci, 25 at the time, was never more than a backup goalie. Yet he played a couple of good games at the end of the season, and got the nod to start the series.

Tabby played well for the first four games, but collapsed in the final 3 games, allowing 18 goals. Essensa had been the starting goalie for the Jets for 2 seasons, and worked a tandem with Beauregard for the 89-90 season. It made no sense to bench him. It had the adverse effect of killing off Essensa's confidence, as he would never have a year like the 91-92 season again, and was relegated to a career backup after the trade with Detroit in 1993-94.

I am still convinced that the Jets would ahve won that series had Essensa started.

Regular season stats:

Essensa: 21-17-6, 2.88 GAA, 0.910%
Tabaracci: 6-7-3, 3.23 GAA, 0.889%

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Steve Smith's own goal (Edmonton vs Calgary, 1986)
Well, I disagree here. The Flames won that series fair and square, and were the better team in every game of the series except game four, and maybe game six.

The Oilers were basically unbeatable on home ice in the playoffs in those days. But not once in four tries did they beat Calgary in three periods on home ice.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
in that cbc clip, is stevens ordering holik to murder domi? feels like holik is some random henchman, stevens is james cahn, and lou lamoriello is brando up in the press box somewhere.

a tangent, but wanna read the most delusional, self-serving thing anybody's ever written in an autobiography?

"Scott Stevens, he would’ve been suspended probably every other game. That’s why I always chased him around. Because he always targeted guys when they were vulnerable. He never fought me. He was the type of guy who hit guys who were vulnerable. When we policed the game, we made guys accountable. That’s the bottom line. It’s a different time."

Q&A: Tie Domi on his new book, fighting in hockey

scott stevens, who played almost his entire career in the patrick division fighting dave brown, tocchet, and lindros repeatedly, whose fight card includes knuckles nilan, probert, dave manson, and several sutters... yeah he never fought domi because he was a punk, not because it was a waste of his time.

and tie domi... policed the game and made guys accountable, against other players who targeted guys when they were vulnerable. tie domi "policed the game" like we need guns in public schools to shoot the shooters.
Stevens had the best look of what happened, and he told Bobby Holik as Holik had a letter on his jersey to tell the referee what he saw. That eventually led to the match penalty.

Separately, what about when Chris Chelios elbowed Brian Propp in the 1989 playoffs? He was not called for a penalty or supplemental discipline and that took out their best scorer, averaging 32 goals a season before that.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
what about when Chris Chelios elbowed Brian Propp in the 1989 playoffs? He was not called for a penalty or supplemental discipline and that took out their best scorer, averaging 32 goals a season before that.

Doesn’t fit the criteria. Propp got elbowed in game 1, Philly still won that game and another one in Montreal and extended a superior Habs team to 6 games.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
1992 Pittsburgh vs Chicago. Pittsburgh won the conference finals 4-0 destroying Boston, Chicago destroyed Edmonton 4-0 in the conference Finals

Game 1- Chicago has 3-0 lead on Pittsburgh home ice. Then a 4-1 lead. Then the Mario Lemieux show started and Chicago lost 5-4. Then it was a constant beatdown the next 3 games against Belfour and Dominic Hasek and the Hawks lost 4 games to 0. After game 1 everyone knew it was over and Lemieux wasnt getting stopped. After Lemieux scored the game winner in Game 1, the Penguins led every minute of every game in the rest of the series from there on out.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lidstrom's center ice blast on Cloutier didn't just change that series, but the rest of the 2002 playoffs.

And he did it twice, also at 2008.

That Elli goals didn't turn around the series, but opened some mental locks there was on in the Game6.

Somebody has to do something... "okay, let's put it in behind the red line."

I'm still wondering how both of those attempts went in, because I don't remember any other "behind the red line" Lidström attempts from regular season or playoffs he ever tried. It was those two attemps in a most meaningful time of a playoff run and both in.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016

Game 1, Wales Finals, Boston has a chance to steal a road game in overtime against a Penguin team still playing without Lemieux that in this night seemed like they had a letdown after the Rangers series

While not as remembered as his Cup Final effort vs Chicago, Jagr’s goal really took away any chance Boston had to spring an upset.

This was the only close game of a lopsided Wales Finals- Pittsburgh won the next 3 games by a combined score of 15-4.

If Boston had stolen a game on the road as a big underdog knowing Pittsburgh was without Lemieux, it might have been a shot in the arm for their confidence.

Instead, their best effort of the series was for naught and Lemieux returned and that was that. Even if 66 didn’t score that famous shorthanded goal in game 4 where he put the puck through Bourque’s skates, that wouldn't Have changed the outcome of this series.

This Jagr goal olooking back won the series for PIT

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I have never understood the decision to start Tabaracci over Essensa in this series. Goalie Bob was in his prime, and at 27, was nominated for the Vezina Trophy. Rick Tabaracci, 25 at the time, was never more than a backup goalie. Yet he played a couple of good games at the end of the season, and got the nod to start the series.

Tabby played well for the first four games, but collapsed in the final 3 games, allowing 18 goals. Essensa had been the starting goalie for the Jets for 2 seasons, and worked a tandem with Beauregard for the 89-90 season. It made no sense to bench him. It had the adverse effect of killing off Essensa's confidence, as he would never have a year like the 91-92 season again, and was relegated to a career backup after the trade with Detroit in 1993-94.

I am still convinced that the Jets would ahve won that series had Essensa started.

Regular season stats:

Essensa: 21-17-6, 2.88 GAA, 0.910%
Tabaracci: 6-7-3, 3.23 GAA, 0.889%

i’m not convinced a goalie other than, say, patrick roy could have played better than tabaracci did in games 1-4. so imo essensa would have done better in games 4-7, as anyone would have (and i ride for backup bob, he was underratedly good), but i don’t think he wins three of four to start so a moot point.

upthread, someone suggested that paddock started tabaracci instead of essensa bc essensa was up for a new contract and they wanted to keep it low. seems insane, but with that org you never know. they were in the period btw cutting salary on hawerchuk and giving away selanne/selling the team.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
upthread, someone suggested that paddock started tabaracci instead of essensa bc essensa was up for a new contract and they wanted to keep it low. seems insane, but with that org you never know. they were in the period btw cutting salary on hawerchuk and giving away selanne/selling the team.

Jets GM Mike Smith had started drafting tons of Russians during his tenure. He reportedly told others it was because "Russians play cheaper than North Americans." Smith ran Hawerchuk out of town. Three years later he would do the same with Housley, the guy Hawerchuk was traded for.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
another one: game 1 of the 1992 finals.

chicago opens the scoring with a PP marker by chelios, who might have been the best player in that playoffs before the finals. they get two more quick ones before the first period is up. then the teams trade goals and in the second pittsburgh draws within one with two quick goals of their own.

so deep into the third it's still 4-3 chicago. and chicago's captain has three points while mario only has one.

then jagr introduces himself to the world as hockey's next superstar by undressing the entire chicago team, then tying the game.

mario scores with thirteen seconds left to take the game, but i think that jagr goal, which capped off the pens scoring three unanswered goals to come back from a three goal deficit, did it. pittsburgh would sweep the blackhawks.

Reactions: frisco

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
another one: game 1 of the 1992 finals.

mario scores with thirteen seconds left to take the game, but i think that jagr goal, which capped off the pens scoring three unanswered goals to come back from a three goal deficit, did it. pittsburgh would sweep the blackhawks.
The Jagr goal, considering how spectacular it was and how important it was in the context of the series, really doesn't get its due as one of the great goals of all-time. I mean an incredible goal from an aesthetic viewpoint but to tie Game One in a semi-epic comeback and turn the tide of the Finals it's huge. People remember Chicago getting swept but they were riding an 11-game winning streak into the series. Had they taken game one who knows what would've happened.

My Best-Carey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad