Series won and lost in a single moment

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
2009, first round, game six, Flyers-Penguins, Max Talbot vs Dan Carcillo

Pens are in position to clinch but are having trouble closing the deal. They lost game five 3-0 and here they are in the 2nd again down 3-0. Talbot baits Carcillo--way above his weight class--to drop the gloves and they go. Carcillo wins the battle but Talbot wins the war: the Penguins score on the next shift and add four more to take the series (and eventually the Cup).

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
I don't remember the Havlat goal - I remember it as Kyle Wellwood losing a key puck battle and giving the puck away. It was an easy shot for Havlat after Wellwood pretty much gave the puck away.

2009 - it may not have been won in that particular moment as Washington did win another game but the momentum of the Pittsburgh-Washington series in 2009 really changed when Kris Letang scored that OT goal in game 3 to prevent the Pens from going down 3-0 in the series.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
1988 Edmonton vs. Calgary, game two overtime (at the Saddledome), Gretzky scores. Once that shot went in, everybody in Alberta knew not only that that series was over, but that Edmonton was winning the Cup again.

I also had the sinking feeling when Roloson went down in the 2006 finals, game one, that the Oilers' goose was cooked.

I think he's looking for a case where one team got momentum, and never looked back. The Oilers battled back from 3-1 to force game 7.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
tbh i don’t count cloutier because the canucks were never going to win that series. other than old man linden and then-playoff virgins the sedins, no one on that team has ever in his life closed out a series without the other team contracting the bubonic plague.

unlike the 93 nordiques i don’t think this is hindsight speaking. i think the whole world knew it was only a matter of time before the 17 hall of famers on detroit had their way with the canucks. clouts, something of a showman, just happened to start off the festivities in spectacular fashion.

Canucks were up 2-0 in the series. Game tied at 1-1 with a minute left in the second period of game 3. The bolded doesn't add up.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
1983 jets oilers
1984 jets oilers
1985 jets oilers
1987 jets oilers
1988 jets oilers

When the Jets stepped on the ice much to young me's dismay.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
1983 jets oilers
1984 jets oilers
1985 jets oilers
1987 jets oilers
1988 jets oilers

When the Jets stepped on the ice much to young me's dismay.
Actually 1990 Jets-Oilers was probably the worst. Jets lead 3-1 in games and 3-1 on the scoresheet midway through the second period of game five when the Oilers scored three in a row to win that game. They took the next two and ran to the Cup.

My Best-Carey

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Actually 1990 Jets-Oilers was probably the worst. Jets lead 3-1 in games and 3-1 on the scoresheet midway through the second period of game five when the Oilers scored three in a row to win that game. They took the next two and ran to the Cup.

My Best-Carey

I've erased that one from my memory.

TheRealPepman

Jul 8, 2018
whatsapp-image-2017-04-18-at-12-41-57-pm.jpeg

Ugh. This stings as a Flames fan.

Blackhawk93

May 2, 2018
2015 cup finals. Series is tied 2-2 with no score in the first. Bishop comes out to play the puck and runs into Hedman, giving Sharp an easy empty net goal.

Lightning looked flat for the rest of the series after that.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Im not sure it counts, since it was literally the final moments of the series, but... well, a lot can change in 17 seconds.

These 2 moments doomed the Bruins in 2013

You went up 2 games to 1 after the first whiff, and were tied 2-2 after the second. Thats a very generous definition of the word 'doomed'.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016

Caps miss a chance to go up 3-1 in the series. Including Nedved’s goal, Pittsburgh outscored WAS 8-3 the rest of the series and the Caps never led again.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Things that come to mind:

Steve Smith's own goal (Edmonton vs Calgary, 1986)
Brian Skrudland goal 11 seconds in OT (Game 2, Montreal vs Calgary 1986 SCF)
Wayne Gretzky OT slapshot goal (Game 2, Edmonton vs Calgary 1988)
Mario Lemieux dekes out both D-men for the GWG (Game 5, Pittsburgh vs Minnesota 1991 SCF)
Marty McSorley illegal stick (Game 2 LA vs Montreal SCF 1993)
Patrick Roy "Statue of Liberty Pose" (Detroit vs Colorado 2002)
Cloutier lets in the weak goal from Center Ice (Detroit vs Vancouver 2002)
Holtby incredible save (Game 2 Washington vs Vegas 2018 SCF)

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
1990 - Winnipeg Jets lead the Edmonton Oilers three games to one. Back then, that was a guaranteed series win as only two teams in history ever came back from that deficit to win a series.

This is incorrect. Five teams on six occasions came back from 3-1 deficits to win the series:

-1942 Toronto Maple Leafs
-1975 New York Islanders
-1987 New York Islanders
-1987 Detroit Red Wings
-1988 Washington Capitals
-1989 Los Angeles Kings

Then, head coach Bob "Goat of the Franchise" Murdoch, decided to robotically stick with his alternating goalie strategy, pulling red hot Bob Essensa for ice cold Stephane Beuregard.
That led to three straight wins for Edmonton and likely cost the Jets their best shot at a Stanley Cup.

That is incorrect. Beauregard actually had the higher save percentage in the Jets-Oilers series. Murdock never "pulled" Essensa for Beauregard. Essensa was hurt in Game 4, and could not continue. Beauregard actually played better in the game than Essensa, allowing only one goal throughout the 3rd period and two overtimes, compared to the two goals Essensa allowed.

Series Stats:

Essensa: (0.880%)
Beauregard: (0.886%)

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
one of the weirdest series i can remember: vancouver vs winnipeg, 1992.

i'm not sure there's a moment, per se, but if there is it's either pavel scoring late in the first

or a couple minutes later when pavel's stick broke on his point shot on the PP and sandlak redirected his floater past tabaracci

so let me set the scene for you. 1992 was a great year for the canucks. kirk mclean had the regular season of his life and finished 4th in hart voting and runner up to roy for the vezina. linden was blossoming as one of the best power wingers in the game, picking up a stray hart vote and finishing 4th himself in all-star voting at RW. the life line (courtnall, ronning, linden) that was so good in the playoffs the previous year was complemented by a formidable second line of rookie bure with greg adams and a resurgent larionov. the bottom half of the lineup was filled with promising young guys (nedved, sandlak, kron) and veteran experience (momesso, tom fergus, ryan walter). they won the smythe for the first time ever and finished... you guessed it, 4th in the league.

game one: winnipeg steals one on the road, 3-2. no biggie. bure scores his first playoff goal.

game two: vancouver evens the series.

but then winnipeg wins the next two at home. vancouver doesn't score in either game until the third period, while already down four and three goals, respectively. and bure is pointless since game one.

meanwhile, two rookies you've never heard of are giving vancouver fits. some big kid named keith tkachuk is a force of nature and hitting everything that moves, while rick tabaracci is playing lights out. i mean light out like his .932 SV% (in 1992) is actually misleadingly low because three of the eight goals he let in were during garbage time in games where he was pitching a shutout deep into the third.

so when that bure goal went in, it was important both because he got on the board again (remember, he ended the regular season on a 22 goals in 23 game run) and because they finally got an early one on tabaracci, who was looking unbeatable.

and when that sandlak goal went in, making it 2-0, that was the kind of lucky bounce that can do things to a hot team and hot goalie's concentration and confidence. which is exactly what it did.

vancouver wins game five 8-2. tabaracci gets chased after five. bure is on the ice for four of them and finishes with a goal and three assists.

paddock starts tabaracci again, confident in his bounce-back ability and plus he was so good at home. big mistake. i call this the phil housley game. bure scores a hat trick. 8-3 vancouver.

vancouver caps off the 1-3 --> 4-3 series comeback with a resounding 5-0 win in game seven. natural hat trick by geoff courtnall. tabaracci started again, for some reason that only hitler knows.

a weird series. bob essensa was a young guy thought to be a future star, coming off his best regular season, where he was the 3rd vezina finalist and himself got a stray hart vote, but didn't start a single game in the series. bure co-led the series with eight points but seven of them came in those two games. meanwhile, tom fergus, who also scored eight points, picked up a point in every game.

and as for itchy scratchy tabaracci,

RkDateGAgeTmOppDECGASASVSV%SOPIMTOI
11992-04-18123-107WIN@VANWW21917.8950060:00
21992-04-20223-109WIN@VANLL34138.9270060:00
31992-04-22323-111WIN VANWW22624.9230060:00
41992-04-24423-113WIN VANWW13130.9680060:00
51992-04-26523-115WIN@VANLL52621.8080027:20
61992-04-28623-117WIN VANLL83628.7780060:00
71992-04-30723-119WIN@VANLL53328.8480060:00
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Michael Farkas

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
o
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Let me set the stage for you.

Bob Essensa was benched for the playoffs in 1992 so they wouldn't have to pay him as his contact was expiring. Instead they played some loser who couldn't stop a beach ball, I'm well aware you named him in your post but I refuse to type his name properly.

Rick Tobacco was easily the most crap goalie I ever saw in a jets uniform. Calgary had their very own Rick Tobacco a few years later, his name was Trevor Kidd.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Bruins never recovered from Petr Klima's goal in third OT in game 1 during 1990 finals. The overtime was longest in NHL history and there was extra delay due the lights in Boston Garden went out for nearly half an hour during the regular time. The game went on until 1:22 AM.

Ray Bourque said the series would have been different if Bruins had won the game 1. Instead, Oilers rallied to Cup in five.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
1990 - Winnipeg Jets lead the Edmonton Oilers three games to one. Back then, that was a guaranteed series win as only two teams in history ever came back from that deficit to win a series.

Then, head coach Bob "Goat of the Franchise" Murdoch, decided to robotically stick with his alternating goalie strategy, pulling red hot Bob Essensa for ice cold Stephane Beuregard. That led to three straight wins for Edmonton and likely cost the Jets their best shot at a Stanley Cup.

Essensa was hurt in 1990.

It was 1992 where he was ready to go and benched for no reason.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Decades as a Bruin fan, but game one might be too early to call it a single moment turning point of a series. While I think the B's would have made more of a series of it, I think the Oilers would have prevailed when all was said and done.

It was game four of the 88 finals that had game four at Boston suspended due to a power failure. The remainder of that game was played in Edmonton on the same date game 5 was scheduled.

That goal was a real stinger though, Klima did not play at all until sometime into the overtime. Boston had a few chances to put it away as well.

Reactions: Puck Dogg

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Let me set the stage for you.

Bob Essensa was benched for the playoffs in 1992 so they wouldn't have to pay him as his contact was expiring. Instead they played some loser who couldn't stop a beach ball, I'm well aware you named him in your post but I refuse to type his name properly.

Rick Tobacco was easily the most crap goalie I ever saw in a jets uniform. Calgary had their very own Rick Tobacco a few years later, his name was Trevor Kidd.

I'm pretty sure Calgary's very own Rick Tabaracci was actually Rick Tabaracci...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad