Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
One game at a time boys.

First objective is to just win a game. We don't want the whole "Haven't won a playoff game since 2012" narrative next time we hit the playoffs. We get that under our belts and then worry about the next steps.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Tyler Johnson is what worries me in this series. I think the Zajac line can do a decent enough job with the Stamkos/Kucherov pairing, but another line + either of our bottom 2 D pairings going up against a guy that has looked unstoppable in his previous 2 playoff runs (40 points in 43 games) is a scary thought.
They have so much depth that I wouldn’t mind putting Coleman back at 4C as another defensive line to matchup with. He’s been excellent on Zajac’s wing, but I fear Boyle is gonna get ripped going against their bottom 6.

The Grinder

No Respect
Oct 17, 2008
Jefferson, NJ
So at about the 40 game mark into the season I decided to make a bet with my Rangers buddy. He was sure that the Devils would fall off a cliff and that the Rangers would continue to climb. The bet was that if one team made the playoffs and the other didn't then the loser would have to buy the winner playoff tickets. Well.. when the rangers didn't find their form and then decided to sell off I was pretty excited. And now I am going to game four for free. Which means I can also go to game 3. And both games are on my days off. Sweet.

As for this series I think it is our best possible matchup we could have asked for. That being said its going to be a tough one. A lot of pressure on our D and Kinky to not wilt under the onslaught that will be coming from the Lightning. If Hall and Nico don't perform we are toast. If secondary scoring doesn't show up and chip in we are toast. What gives me hope is the Devils play of recent and their record against Tampa which has to give them confidence to compete. If this series gets to 6-7 games I will consider that a success somewhat. But we all know the Devils can win this, so they should just do that.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
They have so much depth that I wouldn’t mind putting Coleman back at 4C as another defensive line to matchup with. He’s been excellent on Zajac’s wing, but I fear Boyle is gonna get ripped going against their bottom 6.

I wouldn't touch one thing... we have 4 balanced lines and that's just fine by me.

Our 4th line will get minimal minutes on the road since Cooper will try and throw out the Stamkos line the second he sees Boyle jump the boards.

We did a great job against them in the regular season, so it's not like Hynes doesn't know what he's doing. Their bottom 6 is nothing special... having Kunitz and Callahan on their 4th line is actually to our advantage. Someone like Grabner will blow by them if we can make solid breakouts and no, that wasn't a reason for you to post about Severson ;)

palek1019

Oct 7, 2017
It'll be tough. Tampa is just stacked. But, with how this season has gone - never being out of a playoff spot, despite being pegged as last prior to the season start, going 4-2 on the road trip that could've ended our season, having it all come down to the last point, Hall's insane season, Boyle's story, that stretch where every game felt like the refs couldn't help but throw a questionable call (against the Devs, of course!) in, even things like ending the Penguins 11 game win streak at home or winning at Colorado for the first time since 2008 ....

Maybe I've been watching too many playoff hype videos, but if any team can take Tampa out, it's this one. They've got a lot of fight and they've been proving people wrong all season. I can't wait to see playoff Hall and also playoff Nico, who has already shown he steps up during big games. If the Devils can carry the level of playoff intensity that they have already been playing at since the "road trip of death" over, they could really bring it to Tampa.

Either way, this is gonna be an exciting series. Can't wait for the return of Devils playoff hockey!

Reactions: mtnet

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I wouldn't touch one thing... we have 4 balanced lines and that's just fine by me.

Our 4th line will get minimal minutes on the road since Cooper will try and throw out the Stamkos line the second he sees Boyle jump the boards.

We did a great job against them in the regular season, so it's not like Hynes doesn't know what he's doing. Their bottom 6 is nothing special... having Kunitz and Callahan on their 4th line isn't anything special either. Someone like Grabner will blow by them if we can make solid breakouts and no, that wasn't a reason for you to post about Severson ;)
They have the best offensive depth in the NHL. Their bottom 6 certainly is something special.

Rolling 4 lines is critically important in the playoffs generally. Our 4th line was huge last time we made the cup. Maybe Boyle surprises and handles his minutes well, but I see them getting pinned in when he steps on the ice.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
They have the best offensive depth in the NHL. Their bottom 6 certainly is something special.

Rolling 4 lines is critically important in the playoffs generally. Our 4th line was huge last time we made the cup. Maybe Boyle surprises and handles his minutes well, but I see them getting pinned in when he steps on the ice.

Miller-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Point-Johnson
Killorn-Cirelli-Gourde
Kunitz-Paquette-Callahan

I'm having a hard time calling that bottom 6 "special", sorry.

Their top 6 is special but their bottom 6 isn't any better then ours IMO.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Looking at Tampa's roster, a lot of things are going to have to go right for the Devils to pull this off.

Zajac's line is going to need to come up huge. Special teams are going to need to come up huge. Kinkaid is going to need to continue his recent play as well.

I'm hoping for the best, but this is going to be tough.

Just remember that is also true for TB. Their goalie and defense and special teams need to play well.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I fully expect a noticeable Devils contingent in Tampa.

It would be ludicrous to assume that none of our fans down there who transplanted from Jersey won't find a way to watch our first playoff game in six years in person.

I remember being like "woah, what?" looking around the building after we broke the ice in game one in Sunrise.

DevilWithin

Feb 24, 2015
New Jersey
If Eddie Lack didn't have that marvelous performance in Tampa maybe we wouldn't have made the playoffs. :)
But yeah, the Devils can definitely pull off something special. Coming in as the underdogs with no pressure. I expect Palmieri to have a big series.

Reactions: Darkauron

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That’s borderline unconstitutional lol

Do they plan on doing strip searches as every fan heads to their seat? This sort of stuff incentivizes people to try and sneak something in. Normally I wouldn’t wear a jersey to a game but I’d do my best to wear something team oriented in TB. I have to imagine most visiting team fans would feel the same way.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
What's up Devils? Congratulations on making it in. I'm nervous but excited about this series. Cheers to your boy Hall, MVP worthy for sure. It's not impossible to say that he and Vasilevskiy are key to this series. Shoddy goaltending will do us in because you play so tough. Conversely no Hall not much of a chance.

All the very best to you guys

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I fully expect a noticeable Devils contingent in Tampa.

It would be ludicrous to assume that none of our fans down there who transplanted from Jersey won't find a way to watch our first playoff game in six years in person.

I remember being like "woah, what?" looking around the building after we broke the ice in game one in Sunrise.
nah, they're ban opposing colors. article i posted addresses what they do. it's insane though, if you have a credit card with an area code outside of the tampa area, you can't buy directly from them. some bs about providing a comfortable fan environment, but it's more like being in a bubble.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
What's up Devils? Congratulations on making it in. I'm nervous but excited about this series. Cheers to your boy Hall, MVP worthy for sure. It's not impossible to say that he and Vasilevskiy are key to this series. Shoddy goaltending will do us in because you play so tough. Conversely no Hall not much of a chance.

All the very best to you guys
thanks, same goes back at you, don't hate your team (yet), but can hope for an intense series.

what's the deal with amalie arena, by the way, and opposing fans jerseys? is it really banned?

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
We are kinda even in goal at the moment it seems based on their goalies play latey... But everything else they are better at. I dont see us winning at all.. I am going with TBL in 6 most likely but still id be happy.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
If I watch all these games in the middle of the night I will end up like this:
3B2A18AE-5D4A-4864-B289-9040C9B192A1.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1