Post-Game Talk: Series Discussion: Stars @ Blues

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Bouwmeester always had poor advanced stats, but in his younger days he had the offensive production to match Lindell's.
Their offensive production 5v5 is very similar. Lindell has a slight advantage in P/60 (0.74 vs.0.65), but Bouwmeester also has more primary points. I'd give the advantage to Lindell there, but not by much. Most of Lindell's goals and a very large percentage of his points come from the powerplay. He has a pretty unique role for a defenseman and actually plays in front of the net I'm pretty sure.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Their offensive production 5v5 is very similar. Lindell has a slight advantage in P/60 (0.74 vs.0.65), but Bouwmeester also has more primary points. I'd give the advantage to Lindell there, but not by much. Most of Lindell's goals and a very large percentage of his points come from the powerplay. He has a pretty unique role for a defenseman and actually plays in front of the net I'm pretty sure.
I don't think the difference is that big. Bouwmeester has declined in offensive effectiveness from what he was a few years ago, and that's where I think Lindell currently is.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
Here is how I see the team.

Here is Dallas line up from Game 6

Benn - Seguin - Radulov
Dickinson - Hintz - Zuccarello
Cogliano - Faksa - Comeau
Dowling - Spezza - Pitlick

Lindell - Klingberg
Heiskanen - Polak
Oleksiak- Lovejoy

Ben Bishop

Our Line up

Perron-O'Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Sundqvist
Maroon-Bozak-Thomas
Fabbri-Barbashev-Steen

Pietrangelo-Gunnarsson
Parayko-Bouwmeester
Dunn-Edmundson

Binnington

Currently no real injuries for us.

Stars have Stephen Johns (Who I believe done for season) & Janmark (Day to Day)

Comparing top 6 lines. Blues hold a slight edge. While I think Dallas has better top line, our 2nd line is much better IMO which leads to slight edge for us.

Forwards depth overall. Blues hold a slight edge here.

Top 4 dman. Even

Dman depth Even

Goalie Slightest edge to Stars only since Bishop has been this far and has a track record.

I believe Dallas will be the team more interested in matching lines up against us

I am guessing

Seguin line vs O'Reilly line
Faksa line vs Schenn line
Hintz line vs Bozak line
Spezza line vs Barbashev line

My original prediction was Blues in 5 on NHL bracket.

Thought now is Blues in 6.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I hope they post some hip hop hype video on Twitter. Worked fine for the Jets.

It's Dallas, make it country.

I guess that earlier Stars fan didn't notice that 90% of the fans earlier in the thread preferred to play the Preds. Few Blues fans are thrilled to play the Stars.

We've contained Seguin pretty well in the past, can that continue? The Stars have a lot better second line than they had the last time we played them. Then again, so do the Blues. I think this series will come down to defense and goaltending, to be honest. Would like to pick the Blues in 6, but I can see this one going either way. The way this season has gone I feel like we're playing with house money. LGB!

Reactions: Sushiko

Amberelise

May 8, 2010
Chi-town
Two random thoughts.

1.) I think this series comes down to Petro. I don't have the stats, but I think he's incredibly streaky. When he's on, our team looks awesome. When he's off - meh. Stars have an explosive top line. It's on you Petro.

(Thought 1.a - I thought JayBo looked kinda crappy last two games, so I'm a little nervous about him in this series.)

2.) If I had to pick a goalie I would compare Binnington to, it's Dryden all day. I think their head game is exactly the same. Rookie goalies can win the cup. Rookie goalies that have the mental state of Dryden can absolutely win the cup. Just don't go getting a law degree on us.

(Thought 2.a - There's some cocky commentary for you Dallas Stars fans. And, I don't care.)

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
One thing I am pretty worried about this series is protecting the front of the net. Almost every single goal we gave up in the Winnipeg series came from right in front of the net, and Dallas has generated shots from the front of the net well all season (in fact it is about the only place they are above-average at generating shots from) as well as in their series against Nashville. We were actually very good at limiting net-front shots during the regular season so hopefully we can find a way to turn it around.
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 1.23.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 1.24.07 PM.png

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Damn...I'm assuming that means game 2 will be Saturday and I have a wedding to attend. Guess I'll be getting the crappy phone updates for that one...

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I would be just *hush hush* about Lindell and Heiskanen, they have been pretty darn impressive this season and current Playoff run. Last game they both played over 31min and Heiskanen marked almost 33min.

Its going to be hard to go front of net knowing how good dmen there is, Lindell. He was beast mode vs. Preds forward. That man guy clear the crease.

Its going to be tough fight at boards. Maroon has to improve his game and that line overally.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScratchCatFever

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

Damn...I'm assuming that means game 2 will be Saturday and I have a wedding to attend. Guess I'll be getting the crappy phone updates for that one...

Haha I am in Mexico next weekend for a wedding. Hopefully the NBC sports app works down there, I'm not sure if they have CNBC Deportes. It might be me and a dozen other Bluesiers crowded around someone's smartphone.

Reactions: Brockon

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I would be just *hush hush* about Lindell and Heiskanen, they have been pretty darn impressive this season and current Playoff run. Last game they both played over 31min and Heiskanen marked almost 33min.

Its going to be hard to go front of net knowing how good dmen there is, Lindell. He was beast mode vs. Preds forward. That man guy clear the crease.

Its going to be tough fight at boards. Maroon has to improve his game and that line overally.
I'm more worried about Klingberg in our zone. He's PPG and can really drive the offense. The Fins don't scare me as much. :naughty:

I kid I kid.

Reactions: Ranksu

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Blues in 5. I'll say it again that even if we lose I can tolerate it because I don't hate the Dallas fans, just their captain.

Blues are more talented but they still have to out work the Stars because if they slouch for even a period the talent factor isn't a big enough gap to save them.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I'm interested to see what the defensive pairings look like for game one. We're in a bit of a weird situation as all of our "bottom pairing" defenseman played pretty well. Especially Gunnarson who I thought should have never been scratched given his regular season play. I expect to see this:

Gunnarson - Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester - Parayko
Dunn - Edmundson

I hope I'm wrong because Bortuzzo does not deserve to be scratched, but I expect with Chief to just stick with what got us the series win. What I'd really like to see is this:

Gunnarson - Pietrangelo
Dunn - Parayko
Edmundson - Bortuzzo

I know people aren't going to like Bouw being scratched, but it has more to do with Gunnarson and Edmundson playing well than anything. Either of Gunnarson or Edmundson could be on the top pairing IMO. They both had very good numbers with Petro in the regular season, and in the small sample we saw vs. Winnipeg. The Bouwmeester - Parayko pairing just does not work offensively. They always do a great job limiting goals against, but they also don't score. Shockingly, Dunn and Parayko were statistically our worst two defenseman against Winnipeg, but I think a lot of that could be fixed with a partner who compliments them better. Finally on the bottom pairing I would go with the same bottom pairing we started the series vs. Winnipeg with. These two were actually our only positive pairing in terms of xG outside of Pietrangelo and Eddy/Gunnarson. Really if we can just get Petro with either Eddy or Gunnarson, and Dunn with either Parayko or Bortuzzo I'll be satisfied.

Reactions: Amberelise

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

Benn - Seguin - Radulov

Lindell - Klingberg
Heiskanen - Polak
Oleksiak- Lovejoy

Ben Bishop

Our Line up

Maroon-Bozak-Thomas
Fabbri-Barbashev-Steen

Pietrangelo-Gunnarsson
Parayko-Bouwmeester
Dunn-Edmundson

Binnington

Comparing top 6 lines. Blues hold a slight edge. While I think Dallas has better top line, our 2nd line is much better IMO which leads to slight edge for us.

Top 4 dman. Even

Dman depth Even

Goalie Slightest edge to Stars only since Bishop has been this far and has a track record.

I believe Dallas will be the team more interested in matching lines up against us

I am guessing

Hintz line vs Bozak line

I'm less concerned with matching up forward lines than I am with targeting their D men.

I want the Schwartz/Sundqvist line going up against Klingberg-Lindell, RORSenko going against Heiskanen/Polak and the Maroon line going against Oleksiak/Lovejoy as often as we can get those matchups.
I don't know that Klingberg/Lindell can really handle a fast, aggressive forecheck like Sunny/Schwartz.
I want to test how good Heiskanen and Polak are defensivelywith the ROR line.
And I'm really not convinced that Lovejoy/Oleksiak have the mobility to get the Maroon line out of their kitchen.
I think we can really cause some problems for their D if we match things up right.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I'm interested to see what the defensive pairings look like for game one. We're in a bit of a weird situation as all of our "bottom pairing" defenseman played pretty well. Especially Gunnarson who I thought should have never been scratched given his regular season play. I expect to see this:

Gunnarson - Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester - Parayko
Dunn - Edmundson

I hope I'm wrong because Bortuzzo does not deserve to be scratched, but I expect with Chief to just stick with what got us the series win. What I'd really like to see is this:

Gunnarson - Pietrangelo
Dunn - Parayko
Edmundson - Bortuzzo

I know people aren't going to like Bouw being scratched, but it has more to do with Gunnarson and Edmundson playing well than anything. Either of Gunnarson or Edmundson could be on the top pairing IMO. They both had very good numbers with Petro in the regular season, and in the small sample we saw vs. Winnipeg. The Bouwmeester - Parayko pairing just does not work offensively. They always do a great job limiting goals against, but they also don't score. Shockingly, Dunn and Parayko were statistically our worst two defenseman against Winnipeg, but I think a lot of that could be fixed with a partner who compliments them better. Finally on the bottom pairing I would go with the same bottom pairing we started the series vs. Winnipeg with. These two were actually our only positive pairing in terms of xG outside of Pietrangelo and Eddy/Gunnarson. Really if we can just get Petro with either Eddy or Gunnarson, and Dunn with either Parayko or Bortuzzo I'll be satisfied.

You want to scratch Jbo after he has been as amazing as he has been recently? That's just stupid as f***. Eddy looked far worse last series than Jbo did.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019

Benn - Seguin - Radulov

Lindell - Klingberg
Heiskanen - Polak
Oleksiak- Lovejoy

Ben Bishop

Our Line up

Maroon-Bozak-Thomas
Fabbri-Barbashev-Steen

Pietrangelo-Gunnarsson
Parayko-Bouwmeester
Dunn-Edmundson

Binnington

Top 4 dman. Even

Dman depth Even

I am guessing

Hintz line vs Bozak line

Wow I didn't see that they broke up Heiskanen and Klingberg. Interesting move....

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
You want to scratch Jbo after he has been as amazing as he has been recently? That's just stupid as ****. Eddy looked far worse last series than Jbo did.
Eddy was better by every quantitive measure, but if Eddy was scratched instead of Bouw I wouldn't be mad. Mainly I just want to get Dunn a partner who compliments him well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad