Post-Game Talk: Series Discussion: Stars @ Blues

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Huge Stars fan here, from years and years of cheering...

This topic is very enlightening. With an exceptional voice here and there, it appears to be a resounding Blues in 5 or 6 cakewalk from the majority of Blues messengers. You've only got to beat "1" competent scoring line and a hot, but frail goalie! Who'd'a thought it'd be so easy?!

This topic gives me the confidence and grit I'll need to sustain a moderate heart level through a long series. Nobody is skating to a 4-0 or 4-1 sheet of frosting. I can't wait to get to the arena for game 3 back in Dallas!

Addendum: A "Blue" mentioned several pages back that this team will be easier to beat than the 2016 team. Blues fans should thank Sequin for getting his calf muscle sliced during the last few minutes of the final game of that season. His constant PP sniper scoring was sorely missed in the playoffs, otherwise, that series might not have gone 7 games. Oh, and we had Kari back then.

Addendum II: Here's to an upcoming battle. I didn't care who Dallas faced. If a team is going to skate the Cup, they have to "beat" the other big boys on the block! St. Louis is obviously one of the big boys, but they just might go home black and blue, but none of us knows just yet. That's why they play the games! The NHL Playoffs are the best!

...wisdom

Blues in 5. Hope that helps your emotional state.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Game 1 is crucial for the Blues. The Stars only get two full days of rest before a road game in STL. The Blues will have had four full days of rest and no travel since Game 6 vs. Winnipeg.

The roles were reversed in 2016. We had a quick turnaround in round 2 vs. Dallas and looked sluggish in Game 1 and lost a tight one. Dallas had no business taking that series to 7 games with Seguin out and a terrible goalie situation but the first round vs. Chicago wore us down. We could have put them away much quicker with more rest.

The Blues enter round 2 with a sweet setup. They have to take advantage.
Absolutely. Very important to win game 1.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

This topic is very enlightening. With an exceptional voice here and there, it appears to be a resounding Blues in 5 or 6 cakewalk from the majority of Blues messengers. You've only got to beat "1" competent scoring line and a hot, but frail goalie! Who'd'a thought it'd be so easy?!

This topic gives me the confidence and grit I'll need to sustain a moderate heart level through a long series. Nobody is skating to a 4-0 or 4-1 sheet of frosting. I can't wait to get to the arena for game 3 back in Dallas!

Addendum: A "Blue" mentioned several pages back that this team will be easier to beat than the 2016 team. Blues fans should thank Sequin for getting his calf muscle sliced during the last few minutes of the final game of that season. His constant PP sniper scoring was sorely missed in the playoffs, otherwise, that series might not have gone 7 games. Oh, and we had Kari back then.

Addendum II: Here's to an upcoming battle. I didn't care who Dallas faced. If a team is going to skate the Cup, they have to "beat" the other big boys on the block! St. Louis is obviously one of the big boys, but they just might go home black and blue, but none of us knows just yet. That's why they play the games! The NHL Playoffs are the best!

...wisdom

To be fair, we are Blues fans so of course we are going to be picking our team to win the series. I'm sure I can find HFStars picking the Stars in x games. The majority of us wanted to play Nashville because Dallas has been viewed as the tougher match-up, which I agree the Stars are. Picking the Blues in 5 or 6 or 7 is not because we think the Stars are an easy team, they're not, but because we feel the Blues are equally as strong and can beat the Stars in the course of a series, like I said we are Blues fans so of course we are going to want our team to win as much as you want the Stars to win. There shouldn't really be any surprise to find confident Blues fans when visiting HFBlues.

Game 1 is crucial for the Blues. The Stars only get two full days of rest before a road game in STL. The Blues will have had four full days of rest and no travel since Game 6 vs. Winnipeg.

The roles were reversed in 2016. We had a quick turnaround in round 2 vs. Dallas and looked sluggish in Game 1 and lost a tight one. Dallas had no business taking that series to 7 games with Seguin out and a terrible goalie situation but the first round vs. Chicago wore us down. We could have put them away much quicker with more rest.

The Blues enter round 2 with a sweet setup. They have to take advantage.
I agree, getting off to a good start this series is important. Got to take advantage of our home ice while maintaining our solid play on the road. Winning game 1 also puts the pressure on Dallas right away.

Last edited:

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL

...wisdom

I'm not sorry, you guys are annoying.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The Stars have a big advantage in the cheerleader department, where the Blues don't even have any.

In the battle of goal songs, surprisingly the Blues get a significant edge here. Against any other team this may have been a liability.

In terms of the coach fist fight, I like the Blues again.

In #Bang, the Stars have a decided advantage.

It looks like it could be close, but I say Blues in 6.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The Stars have a big advantage in the cheerleader department, where the Blues don't even have any.

In the battle of goal songs, surprisingly the Blues get a significant edge here. Against any other team this may have been a liability.

In terms of the coach fist fight, I like the Blues again.

In #Bang, the Stars have a decided advantage.

It looks like it could be close, but I say Blues in 6.
We have the advantage in towel men!

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I was reading aura's like Charlie Murphy before the Winnipeg series and I'm not sure what to expect in this one.

Low scoring seems a reasonable assumption with the few odd man rushes and PP opportunities being both teams best chances to get that critical goal. This could easily end up with every game being decided by a single goal so huge importance on special teams play would be a safe bet. It looks like we have the edge offensively so hopefully that translates.

This team has been good at disrupting the Blues this year so I can't help but respect what they're capable of doing to us. Going Blues in 6 (could see Stars in 6 or 7 as well). If they pull this series win I'll be very impressed that they faced a rough match up stylistically and pushed past it towards the true matter.

Winnington99

Apr 24, 2019
-Contain the first line
-Protect binny from Benn
-Test Bishop early and often
-Body’s in front of Bishop
-Outwork the Stars

Blues in six

Burynai

Nov 10, 2010
St. Louis
If Blues play Game 6 level....nobody will beat them. Not many holes on this team. This isn't your '16 Stars though. This will be their toughest test in the West. Just my opinion....

Winnington99

Apr 24, 2019
If Blues play Game 6 level....nobody will beat them. Not many holes on this team. This isn't your '16 Stars though. This will be their toughest test in the West. Just my opinion....
If the Avs beat the Sharks yeah. I just think the sharks are also a well rounded team like Winnipeg with a lethal blue line when you have burns and Karlsson on it, two of the best offensive defensemen around.

Burynai

Nov 10, 2010
St. Louis
If the Avs beat the Sharks yeah. I just think the sharks are also a well rounded team like Winnipeg with a lethal blue line when you have burns and Karlsson on it, two of the best offensive defensemen around.

Sharks are tough no doubt.

Agreed.....Sharks always play us tough. Although between the Joe Pavelski injury and goaltending being extremely suspect, think we have the edge. (If it comes to that)

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
no team in the west is a threat to the blues if they play their game outside of dallas.

m1a2lt

Jul 13, 2009

Oh, and eat a box of butts...aka eat a bag of dicks.

...wisdom

Ugh, Texas and hockey. Spent 14 of my last 20 years in Texas and loved it, but hockey analysis is not your forte. Way to pull for non sequitur argument. Looking forward to the next round.

So, basically...eat a bag of ****s...

Last edited:

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I’m quite worried about the Blues’ ability to score in this series. More than anything else (Dallas’ top line, who has the better D corpse, JB), I feel that this is the key to the series. I suspect that Berube will need to be more open to line juggling in order to find some offensive production.

Winning game 1 will be more important in this series than any of the others IMO. This is a series you don’t want to be chasing.

Last edited:

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Stars' worst period is the first. Gotta take advantage and get early leads in this series. They are great in the 2nd however, so we gotta be careful with our long changes and avoid getting hemmed in/taking icing calls. They'll just roll their top line out there and impose their will.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Stars' worst period is the first. Gotta take advantage and get early leads in this series. They are great in the 2nd however, so we gotta be careful with our long changes and avoid getting hemmed in/taking icing calls. They'll just roll their top line out there and impose their will.

Exactly the number of times Nashville got caught in their own zone and that line went to work against them hurt them a ton in that series. I know against Winnipeg there was one point where Berube talked about the Blues needing to get the puck out of their quicker, I think after games 3 and 4. So hopefully we can continue moving the puck the way we did in games 5 and 6 in order to limit the amount of zone time in D-zone against that line and others.

Reactions: HighNote

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis

...wisdom

Snake Plissken

Apr 23, 2019
21F1A002-1BA7-414E-9FC6-0FD113DD1F8B.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad