Post-Game Talk: Series Discussion: Stars @ Blues

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Another big takeaway from that article is the gap between our middle-six forwards and theirs. Originally, I thought the Stars forward group was a bit underrated because I really like Hintz and the addition of Zuccarelo, but if Zuccarelo is really injured (and he certainly played like it in round one) that changes a lot. Dom's model had Zuccarelo carrying most of the value of the Stars second line, but considering his abysmal first round (37.72 xGF%), and our new second line playing amazing to close the series vs. Winnipeg as well as being rated higher in overall strength in the first place, that looks like a matchup that could sway heavily in our favor. Then you have the third line which was arguably our best all series vs. Winnipeg against a below-average Stars third line.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I was responding to someone citing Tarasenkos #s against the Stars.

I'm aware and I'm responding to both of you.
One player is not going to win a PO series against anybody.
It is a clash of teams, not of individual players.

A player can go into slump.
A player can be targeted.
A player can be adjusted for.

Over-analyzing the numbers for specific players is pointless.
All of the individual numbers pointed towards the Jet's destroying us in round 1.
That didn't happen.
Learn from that lesson and shift the focus onto the bigger scope of things.
What Benn has historically done against us and what Vladdy has historically done against Dallas is pretty much irrelevant; especially since neither player has much of a track record against the other team with their current goalie.

Indianation65

Oct 14, 2014
Currently, North Tex
Huge Stars fan here, from years and years of cheering...

This topic is very enlightening. With an exceptional voice here and there, it appears to be a resounding Blues in 5 or 6 cakewalk from the majority of Blues messengers. You've only got to beat "1" competent scoring line and a hot, but frail goalie! Who'd'a thought it'd be so easy?!

This topic gives me the confidence and grit I'll need to sustain a moderate heart level through a long series. Nobody is skating to a 4-0 or 4-1 sheet of frosting. I can't wait to get to the arena for game 3 back in Dallas!

Addendum: A "Blue" mentioned several pages back that this team will be easier to beat than the 2016 team. Blues fans should thank Sequin for getting his calf muscle sliced during the last few minutes of the final game of that season. His constant PP sniper scoring was sorely missed in the playoffs, otherwise, that series might not have gone 7 games. Oh, and we had Kari back then.

Addendum II: Here's to an upcoming battle. I didn't care who Dallas faced. If a team is going to skate the Cup, they have to "beat" the other big boys on the block! St. Louis is obviously one of the big boys, but they just might go home black and blue, but none of us knows just yet. That's why they play the games! The NHL Playoffs are the best!

...wisdom

Reactions: Balloon

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
This 8:30 CST crap is killing me. Does the NHL really need to stagger the Eastern Conference games with the West's?

Reactions: Sushiko

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I dunno...they've played grind-it-out winning hockey consistently since late February...shutting teams down in the process. Winnipeg gave out 3rd period goals like Christmas presents...that was never Dallas' problem. Winnipeg's best defenders were routinely burned in their own end this year. Stars just out-Nashville'd Nashville. They're legit, and yes, make the Jets defense look like **** comparatively. The Stars two best defenders are better than anyone that the Jets can ice.

Again, I'm not saying that they are a bad team, but Bishop is a gigantic part of how they play "grind it out, winning hockey' despite allowing a big number of chances against. Bishop's GSAA through 6 games in round 1 was over 6. With average goaltending, 'grind it out, winning hockey' gets described as 'turtling.'

I don't see any real-world explanation for how Dallas' expected goals against was significantly worse than the Jets' if their D makes the Jets D look like shit comparatively.

Instl

Dec 21, 2011
St. Louis
Dallas pressures the point hard. With the Blues being a perimeter playing team (except the Bozak line), they better get the puck moving quickly, especially on the PP. Try to miss a few shin guards with those shots from the point.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

This topic is very enlightening. With an exceptional voice here and there, it appears to be a resounding Blues in 5 or 6 cakewalk from the majority of Blues messengers. You've only got to beat "1" competent scoring line and a hot, but frail goalie! Who'd'a thought it'd be so easy?!

This topic gives me the confidence and grit I'll need to sustain a moderate heart level through a long series. Nobody is skating to a 4-0 or 4-1 sheet of frosting. I can't wait to get to the arena for game 3 back in Dallas!

Addendum: A "Blue" mentioned several pages back that this team will be easier to beat than the 2016 team. Blues fans should thank Sequin for getting his calf muscle sliced during the last few minutes of the final game of that season. His constant PP sniper scoring was sorely missed in the playoffs, otherwise, that series might not have gone 7 games. Oh, and we had Kari back then.

Addendum II: Here's to an upcoming battle. I didn't care who Dallas faced. If a team is going to skate the Cup, they have to "beat" the other big boys on the block! St. Louis is obviously one of the big boys, but they just might go home black and blue, but none of us knows just yet. That's why they play the games! The NHL Playoffs are the best!

...wisdom
Why are you here......

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
Benn is 19-20-39 against us in 39 career games...
When-he-finds-perfect-place-drink (1).gif

Reactions: ManyIdeas

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada

...wisdom
That's nice, dear.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
They might be on the shelf at the market, but nobody's buying them.
Combined this year they had 41 points in 145 games(Brouwer: 12-9-21 in 75 games; Backes: 7-13-20 in 70 games).

Well at 850k this year, Brouwer's contract is actually decent value for a little depth scoring, veteran presence and some grit in the bottom 6. I'd expect there to be a few teams willing to offer him 1-2 years for around 1-1.5m in UFA this summer.

However, for 6m against the cap, Backes' cap hit just looks bad - especially with another 2 years to go at that price. His heavy game has definitely taken its toll on him.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
This 8:30 CST crap is killing me. Does the NHL really need to stagger the Eastern Conference games with the West's?

You know, you could join the dark side and move out West!

PVR those pesky 7pm EST starts (4pm PST) skip commercials and then watch the 10pm EST starts live for a 10pm PST finish most nights! ;)

Reactions: Sushiko and mk80

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
So tomorrow is a jam packed day for me. If I am lucky I will make it home just in time for puck drop. So I won't be able to make a GDT for Game 1. Hopefully I will be able to get back into a groove for game 2.

Reactions: The Note

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Game 1 is crucial for the Blues. The Stars only get two full days of rest before a road game in STL. The Blues will have had four full days of rest and no travel since Game 6 vs. Winnipeg.

The roles were reversed in 2016. We had a quick turnaround in round 2 vs. Dallas and looked sluggish in Game 1 and lost a tight one. Dallas had no business taking that series to 7 games with Seguin out and a terrible goalie situation but the first round vs. Chicago wore us down. We could have put them away much quicker with more rest.

The Blues enter round 2 with a sweet setup. They have to take advantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad