Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: Round 1 - Kings @ Oilers II: The Rematch

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think you're missing the point he's trying to make. No one seriously believes in hockey gods like you keep bringing up.

The issue is Michaels does stupid shit like talk about Skinner getting a shutout before the 3rd period's even started. Sports fans are definitely a superstitious bunch even if they recognize it's silly and not actually true.
I hear you.
Jack does a lot of stupid shit.

I sure hope the Leafs tank and we get Cuthbert sooner rather than later.

He will be a breath of fresh air after listening to Jack butcher the PbP for an entire season.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My main concerns are LA looking for retribution on McDavid and taking him out of the series, Kane taking ill timed penalties, and officiating.

If this game is called down the middle and we remain relatively healthy, I think this goes 5 or 6.
It really does hinge on the reffing.

It baffles me why the NHL (historically at least) caters to slog hockey.

The one saving grace is that if the Refs are going to call a tighter game then that will usually happen in the first round and then the standards tend to slide in the later rounds.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I am wondering who is going to officiate our series. So many sh** refs out there that made the playoff cut

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
For those talking about "revenge series" I give you the 98 through 2003 EDM DAL "rivalry" where the more talented Stars beat the Oilers for fun. No doubt after each defeat the Oilers were bitter and angry, eager to take on the Stars to get "revenge." The problem: the Stars were more talented and just as committed.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
For those talking about "revenge series" I give you the 98 through 2003 EDM DAL "rivalry" where the more talented Stars beat the Oilers for fun. No doubt after each defeat the Oilers were bitter and angry, eager to take on the Stars to get "revenge." The problem: the Stars were more talented and just as committed.
The Oilers went from Clutch Cujo to Sieve Salo. That was the biggest difference.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
people saying LA is a bad matchup for us. Do they actually think we’re not a bad matchup for them? They gotta be pissing themselves right now.

I hope Oil Country is LOUD tomorrow. Get Corpsesalo shaking in his boots like Manny Legace did. They should be afraid, they’re about to face a juggernaut.

Doughty and Kopitar see the writing on the wall.. their generation is riding into the sunset. The torch is being passed this year to the greatest player in the game and the best team in the NHL this season

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
1681683362578.png

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Meh

There was an entire generation of Toronto based media who never got over the Oilers having Gretzky. There is a whole new generation of Toronto based media who will never get over the Oilers having McDavid. Adam Proteau is just another one of those guys.
“Veritable Bible”?? The Hockey News hasn’t been relevant in a decade.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
My main concerns are LA looking for retribution on McDavid and taking him out of the series, Kane taking ill timed penalties, and officiating.

If this game is called down the middle and we remain relatively healthy, I think this goes 5 or 6.
Staple Kane to McDavid's wing+one of Nurse, Ekholm, or VD will likely be on the ice at most points of a game. If they even so much as breathe on Connor then bash the offending player's face in.

The Oilers went from Clutch Cujo to Sieve Salo. That was the biggest difference.
Was Salo that bad for us? He put up >0.920 save percentage 2 of the playoff runs. We just got slapped around by Dallas' wallet.

Reactions: xoczar99ox

OILFAN FOREVER

Feb 26, 2021
Kings boarded their flight and are on their way to Edmonton as we speak. No word on if Fiala or Valiardi will play game 1 yet.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
people saying LA is a bad matchup for us. Do they actually think we’re not a bad matchup for them? They gotta be pissing themselves right now.

I hope Oil Country is LOUD tomorrow. Get Corpsesalo shaking in his boots like Manny Legace did. They should be afraid, they’re about to face a juggernaut.

Doughty and Kopitar see the writing on the wall.. their generation is riding into the sunset. The torch is being passed this year to the greatest player in the game and the best team in the NHL this season
I can get behind this hell yeah!!!!

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Is anyone else nervous about this series?

Like yeah the Oilers have been playing really well but it’s a bit unnerving that seemingly everyone has us beating LA and potentially going on a deep run.

Maybe it’s just the Oilers PTSD in me but I really hope they don’t blow this. God that would be embarrassing.
I think LA is the 2nd best team in the pacific and likely 3rd/4th best team in the conference. This will be a harder match up than r2 imo. Just like it was last year.

Anyone who thinks this will be easy is in for a rude awakening imo. I think we win in 6 but id not be shocked if it went 7 and whoever wins this series should stomp round 2.

I will also be nervous to play Dallas in the WCF should we make it thay far.

Reactions: soothsayer

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I think LA is the 2nd best team in the pacific and likely 3rd/4th best team in the conference. This will be a harder match up than r2 imo. Just like it was last year.

Anyone who thinks this will be easy is in for a rude awakening imo. I think we win in 6 but id not be shocked if it went 7 and whoever wins this series should stomp round 2.

I will also be nervous to play Dallas in the WCF should we make it thay far.

Anything can happen in the playoffs. Just ask Tampa a few years ago when the got swept by Columbus.

That said, I think this Oilers team is even better than they appear. McDavid and Draisaitl haven't even engaged their playoff gears and the Oilers are already one of the best teams in the league.

I'm trying to not be biased, but I really think they're going to kick the shit out of LA, who became weirdly overrated at the start of the season. Again, you have to play the games and anything can happen, but it would not shock me if the Oilers beat LA in 4 or 5.

Every year, there's been that one team waiting in the wings who you just thought deep down, "the Oilers aren't getting passed them." Last year it was Colorado. In 2017 it was Nashville.

This year, I can honestly say that team does not exist. Of course, the Oilers could lose; but there is no team in the West that is obviously better than the Oilers. Not even close.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
This year feels different. McDavid and Drai in their prime, Nuge playing his best hockey, depth in bottom 6, a stud defenseman on the backend. If Skinner can post respectable numbers (.910-.915) I think we can get to the final.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad