Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: Round 1 - Kings @ Oilers II: The Rematch

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Hard to tell if the Oilers improved so much from last year to this year, or if the kings got much worse. Series felt like a grind, but it wasn't all that close considering both the King's wins came off terrible reffing with a bit of a push from the ever unreliable NHL situation room. A far cry from last year where they had the Oilers on the brink by the end of game 5. Also seems like the Kings went from low-key dirty last year, to passive with a ton of diving this year. Considering Edmonton absolutely blitzed them on the powerplay, might have been the right decision overall, but it feels like the Kings had a ton less swagger this year and were playing not to lose rather than doing everything in their power to win.

Not sure about the King's future either. Their key guys are getting older, but their top draft picks are trending towards busting. From the outside looking in, the fans calling for Blake's firing might have a point. Though, as an oiler fan, I do hope whatever they do, they keep Mclellan incase the Oilers play them again in the playoffs next year :laugh:

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Hard to tell if the Oilers improved so much from last year to this year, or if the kings got much worse. Series felt like a grind, but it wasn't all that close considering both the King's wins came off terrible reffing with a bit of a push from the ever unreliable NHL situation room. A far cry from last year where they had the Oilers on the brink by the end of game 5. Also seems like the Kings went from low-key dirty last year, to passive with a ton of diving this year. Considering Edmonton absolutely blitzed them on the powerplay, might have been the right decision overall, but it feels like the Kings had a ton less swagger this year and were playing not to lose rather than doing everything in their power to win.

Not sure about the King's future either. Their key guys are getting older, but their top draft picks are trending towards busting. From the outside looking in, the fans calling for Blake's firing might have a point. Though, as an oiler fan, I do hope whatever they do, they keep Mclellan incase the Oilers play them again in the playoffs next year :laugh:
I think both teams were better. However one has incredible star power.

Kostin was also unreal

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Fun series! As a Kings fan I have to root for McDavid to win the cup in secrecy. Enjoy the run Edmonton is going to make here fellas.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

They are at a bit of a crossroads here. They will have a hard time re-signing either of Korpisalo and Gavrikov unless they are able to move out some significant money or unless they buyout Peterson which it sounds like they won't do. They have Clarke making the jump next year most likely but they also have not done well in developing what looked like a dynamite prospect pool. With Kopitar and Doughty aging guys like Clarke and Byfield will have a lot of pressure on them to take the next step.

I think they need to prioritize finding room to sign Gavrikov. If they don't their left side will definitely be a weakness. If they do sign him I suspect that they stay at about the same level for a couple more years.

ozhenson

Jul 26, 2007
Ok people, I want to win so f***in badly, with every fiber of my being. And we are a quarter of the way there.

This guy made a pretty good playoff hype video a few weeks ago, and hes followed it up with a round 1 vid. Worth a watch!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad