Pre-Game Talk: Series discussion: NYR vs MTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
31, my problem with that analysis is that it's using regular season stats. The Rangers were not a good possession team in the last series. I have to think their possession stats through two rounds haven't been 50%.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Habs fan coming in peace.

I feel bad for you guys because you're now stuck with Boston fans on your bandwagon... :laugh:

Just kidding, here's hoping to a great series. I love it that skill, speed and goaltending will be at the forefront in this year's ECF. :handclap:

Nah too bad we don't have 6'4 250 LB behemoths riding the best of the other team every time they have the puck like the Kings then we'd REALLY get our respect. :sarcasm:

It pisses me off that the Rangers and even Habs have been called boring but that eye sore in LA is the model franchise. #Toffness I guess.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
31, my problem with that analysis is that it's using regular season stats. The Rangers were not a good possession team in the last series. I have to think their possession stats through two rounds haven't been 50%.

Hasn't been. But the Habs numbers are still worse, albeit not by much (49.5% vs 48.9%).

Part of that, however, is playing with a lead and clearing the zone (killing time by losing possession).

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Oh is it supposed to be funny? O.K. I didn't know if it was or wasn't. I'm so confused. Is it like a Canadian thing that's funny with all the wavy pictures / Photoshop filters? Is that like emulating that you are on LSD or something? I'd ask in the thread but it's locked....

lololololol

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hasn't been. But the Habs numbers are still worse, albeit not by much (49.5% vs 48.9%).

Part of that, however, is playing with a lead and clearing the zone (killing time by losing possession).

Does that take into account our play when down vs. even or ahead? Against Philly as long as weren't down we dominated possession (except game 3 when we sat on the lead but it worked). Against Pittsburgh there were games that we got dominated when we were even too, like game 2. Also was Montreal, out-possessed in the Tampa series?

sark76

Oct 9, 2011
Pripyat Marshes
I just liked your description with the LSD

Oh yeah...it's said it "LSD" lol I'm not making that up!! I've been trying to figure out if thats like a acronym for something...Im just really interested in what this is and why it's funny or interesting or even done at all.

It's reminds me the way I felt when I first saw this animation on liquid T.V.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Does that take into account our play when down vs. even or ahead? Against Philly as long as weren't down we dominated possession (except game 3 when we sat on the lead but it worked). Against Pittsburgh there were games that we got dominated when we were even too, like game 2. Also was Montreal, out-possessed in the Tampa series?

I was actually looking at stats for 5 on 5 close. Rangers possession numbers are a bit better 5 on 5 normal.

Anyway, go to http://www.extraskater.com/teams/on-ice?sit=5v5&season=2013p&sort=pdo They probably have the situational stats you're looking for.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
This is a total toss up series. Neither team has a huge advantage.imo. Very even.
I think the difference will be which forward goes crazy from either team. and/or who's special teams does the best.

Which series this year wasn't a toss-up before it started?

It's time for everyone to admit we don't have a clue how any of those series will turn out. The so-called experts, too.

All this analysis beforehand is kind of funny. Could be a sweep for either team, go 7 or anything in between.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
7 games < 82 games

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
if the NHL is rigging anything, I think having New York in the finals (especially if we go up against Chicago or LA, even Anaheim is LAish enough as far as the rest of the country is concerned) will be in their best interest. LA vs NYR will probably break a lot of TV records for them.

Nothing is rigged. Fans of teams that lose toss this out with the usual bucket of other excuses. Oddly, no one ever thinks their team ever wins a rigged game.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Nah too bad we don't have 6'4 250 LB behemoths riding the best of the other team every time they have the puck like the Kings then we'd REALLY get our respect. :sarcasm:

It pisses me off that the Rangers and even Habs have been called boring but that eye sore in LA is the model franchise. #Toffness I guess.

No idea why anyone hates the Kings. I love watching them. Kopitar is one of the best in the game to watch. Doughty, too.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Which series this year wasn't a toss-up before it started?

It's time for everyone to admit we don't have a clue how any of those series will turn out. The so-called experts, too.

All this analysis beforehand is kind of funny. Could be a sweep for either team, go 7 or anything in between.
So what you're saying is: Anything Can Happen?

ncmike

Aug 5, 2011
Habs fans, not trying to be an ass, but why do you guys boo without stopping every game? The Habs fans in this thread are cool, but the way the fans at the Belle Centre boo every time anyone breathes on a Hab makes you guys look AWFUL. It undermines your knowledge of the game, which is possibly the best in the league. I also can do without the "ole" chants, but whatever, I don't want to start THAT discussion because I don't want to cross a line.

These are the same fans who booed Stamkos after he got up from an injury in the first round. Hans fans always classy!!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
7 games < 82 games

See this is why I love your posts amazing grasp of complicated math. :laugh:

The Rangers that played in the Penguins series looked like they brought some Torts with them and were out-possessioned a lot. Like they changed their strategy. I mean the Pens are also a good team, but the Rangers wouldn't normally sit on a lead starting in the first period after going up 1-0 and try to win a game 1-0 during the regular season. I really think that the Rangers are playing a more cautious playoff game, at least they were in the Penguins series. So unless they don't "respect" the Habs as much as they respected the Pens' superstars, don't you think that those 7 games may be more relevant?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
No idea why anyone hates the Kings. I love watching them. Kopitar is one of the best in the game to watch. Doughty, too.

The thing is they have skill players, as evidenced by having two of the top 5 or so scorers in these playoffs. They don't play a skill game. In fact they play the opposite of that. I've never seen a team this blatantly mug the opposition and slow the game down. I don't understand what's so appealing about it.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I was actually looking at stats for 5 on 5 close. Rangers possession numbers are a bit better 5 on 5 normal.

Anyway, go to http://www.extraskater.com/teams/on-ice?sit=5v5&season=2013p&sort=pdo They probably have the situational stats you're looking for.

That's strange because doesn't that take away the effects of playing behind and in front with a lead in the 3rd? The Rangers have been awful in both scenarios all playoffs. So I would think Fenwick close would be much better because they get outpossessed in either situation, down or up in the 3rd.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Oh yeah...it's said it "LSD" lol I'm not making that up!! I've been trying to figure out if thats like a acronym for something...Im just really interested in what this is and why it's funny or interesting or even done at all.

It's reminds me the way I felt when I first saw this animation on liquid T.V.

It's a new upgrade over LCD tv screens. :sarcasm:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Nothing is rigged. Fans of teams that lose toss this out with the usual bucket of other excuses. Oddly, no one ever thinks their team ever wins a rigged game.

IMO NHL on ice officiating leaves a lot to be desired. I think bad officiating can screw things up pretty good. There's the cliche that that will always even out. If a bad call costs you a game though and the other side a penalty they kill off anyway then it doesn't really even out. Now it's true that can happen to either team--but I worry about it pretty much in respect to my own team. I don't want the Rangers to be ****ed over by the officiating.

That doesn't mean things are rigged by the officials on ice so much as that things are very often subject to human error and/or stupidity. Justin St. Pierre is one referee I don't want to see anymore.

As for the off ice--the War Room in Toronto IMO has ****ed us over numerous times this year. Whether deliberate or not--there seems to me to be a lack of consistency in a lot of their calls. Just from early in the season. JT Miller has a goal called back for kicking it in the net--Steve Mason basically clearing the puck into his skates as he was crashing the net. About a week or so later an unmolested Galchenyuk gets a goal that bounced in off his skate as he turned his skate towards the goal. Cam Janssens point after touchdown kicked in goal just about settled the matter for me that these guys aren't to be trusted.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
1554363_396106460532170_1070879832208400791_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad