Pre-Game Talk: Series discussion: NYR vs MTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I like how Montreal plays, and their roster construction as well. Seeing Montreal end their longest Cup drought in their history would be epic. I like Anaheim's team as well but talk about a snoozer.

As someone that wasted close to a couple of hundred bucks on a birthday gift to my dad that ended up in one of the most boring games I've seen live (or ever) when we lost to Anaheim 2-1, Anaheim COULD be boring. However, they could also be fun to watch. That series with Dallas was fun. This series is boring because the Kings are the death of hockey. Seriously, every time a Duck gets the puck, I see a 6'4 dude in a black jersey bare hugging him. That's beyond obstruction.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I know I mean excitement off the ice; I'd rather see a Cup brought out into psychotic Bell Centre than the Honda Pond or whatever it's called. It'd just be so...meh.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know I mean excitement off the ice; I'd rather see a Cup brought out into psychotic Bell Centre than the Honda Pond or whatever it's called. It'd just be so...meh.

Eh, I love it when a non-traditional market gets the cup and goes crazy. Canada will go crazy because it's actually life there, so who cares? I appreciate it when a non-traditional market goes crazy. I feel like MAYBE hockey is growing.

sark76

Oct 9, 2011
Pripyat Marshes

Speaking of psychotic, whats with that ridiculous GDT for the NYR vs. MTL sticky on the main board? Is that like some kind of inside joke with the LSD stuff and the Calvin and hoobes peeing on the Boston logo?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Speaking of psychotic, whats with that ridiculous GTD for the NYR vs. MTL sticky on the main board? Is that like some kind of inside joke with the LSD stuff and the Calvin and hoobes peeing on the Boston logo?

I think it was a GDT used for a game against Boston and he just pasted in the Rangers' lineup. :laugh:

Idk, I think it's funny. It's very odd, but if it wasn't kosher, it wouldn't still be up.

KreiMeARiver*

Guys, let's all go home. According to everyone on the main boards, we have no shot against the Habs, and the West will destroy whoever they play from the East.

Phew, now I can watch the Bachelorette with my girlfriend on Monday!!

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Guys, let's all go home. According to everyone on the main boards, we have no shot against the Habs, and the West will destroy whoever they play from the East.

I don't have to go to the main boards to hear that.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Its been so crazy lately with the Pitt series, talking about the Habs and just getting back from vacation for me.

I just took a step back for a day or two and caught my breath a little. The Rangers are in the conference finals. It almost doesnt seem real right now. After tonight only 4 teams can win the Stanley Cup and the Rangers are one of them. 4 teams. Think about it and let it settle in for a second. Regardless of what we think of the management of this team, how certain players are performing (or not performing). They have the opportunity to take care of unfinished business in becoming the Eastern Conference Champions.

The Rangers have a chance to play for the Cup if they can take 4 of 7 from the Canadiens. Not the big bad Bruins, not the Penguins. The Habs. I respect that team, i really do - but if you look at the core of this Rangers team, Staal, McDonagh, Girardi, Henrik, Hagelin, Boyle - they've been building towards this for a while with all of the playoff games they've played in the last few years. You gotta think that counts for something. Then you throw in the vets who may not have another shot at this in Richards, St. Louis even Dom Moore, who are really seizing the moment - and I think experience wise, purely knowing the magnitude of the situation the Rangers have the advantage. Throw in the coach as well because he's been close. This is huge. Start off this series right and take advantage of the opportunity. Believe.

Proud of this team.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
Its been so crazy lately with the Pitt series, talking about the Habs and just getting back from vacation for me.

I just took a step back for a day or two and caught my breath a little. The Rangers are in the conference finals. It almost doesnt seem real right now. After tonight only 4 teams can win the Stanley Cup and the Rangers are one of them. 4 teams. Think about it and let it settle in for a second. Regardless of what we think of the management of this team, how certain players are performing (or not performing). They have the opportunity to take care of unfinished business in becoming the Eastern Conference Champions.

The Rangers have a chance to play for the Cup if they can take 4 of 7 from the Canadiens. Not the big bad Bruins, not the Penguins. The Habs. I respect that team, i really do - but if you look at the core of this Rangers team, Staal, McDonagh, Girardi, Henrik, Hagelin, Boyle - they've been building towards this for a while with all of the playoff games they've played in the last few years. You gotta think that counts for something. Then you throw in the vets who may not have another shot at this in Richards, St. Louis even Dom Moore, who are really seizing the moment - and I think experience wise, purely knowing the magnitude of the situation the Rangers have the advantage. Throw in the coach as well because he's been close. This is huge. Start off this series right and take advantage of the opportunity. Believe.

Proud of this team.

No doubt. It's incredible.

Think of this too: Two of the last three years we've been in the NHL's final four.

sark76

Oct 9, 2011
Pripyat Marshes
I think it was a GDT used for a game against Boston and he just pasted in the Rangers' lineup. :laugh:

Idk, I think it's funny. It's very odd, but if it wasn't kosher, it wouldn't still be up.

Oh is it supposed to be funny? O.K. I didn't know if it was or wasn't. I'm so confused. Is it like a Canadian thing that's funny with all the wavy pictures / Photoshop filters? Is that like emulating that you are on LSD or something? I'd ask in the thread but it's locked....

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
No doubt. It's incredible.

Think of this too: Two of the last three years we've been in the NHL's final four.

And yet the Rangers are still already penciled in to get destroyed by the Habs or any western team.

We aren't the Big bad broons man. We have no chance

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Actually the message seems to be the Canadiens are better and the Rangers are pretty mediocre but neither has a chance when a real team from out west plays them. So there's no point to this series--the Cup should go to the winner between Chicago--Anaheim/Los Angeles.

Truly to me Chicago is the best team left--that doesn't mean they're a slam dunk. Of the goalies I would take both Lundqvist and Price over Crawford. The Ducks goalie situation if they're the winner tonight is a little up for grabs--not happy with either Hiller or Andersen they're going with John Gibson. Gibson looks like someone with a huge future but he has very little NHL experience. Similarly this was kind of the situation in 1986 when Patrick Roy appeared out of nowhere so it's not to say that Gibson couldn't go all the way but he definitely fits as an unknown at this point. If the Kings win Quick is in the conversation with Lundqvist and Price--all of them better than Crawford IMO but the Blackhawks still should be the favorites because they have the most weapons starting with Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Keith and Seabrook and they also have a playoff overachiever like Bickell. Apart from that their lineup is pretty much filled out like any of the rest of the teams still left. The Ducks have two special players really--Getzlaf and Perry and the Kings three--Kopitar, Doughty and Quick with two great goalscorers Gaborik and Carter. California fans seem to assume we don't know anything about their teams but looking at the Anaheim lineup--pretty much the challenge is to contain Getzlaf and Perry and your chances get a lot better. They have better depth than say the Penguins but Getzlaf/Perry while elite players are really not in Crosby or Malkin's class. Kopitar is great on both sides of the puck. IMO he may be the best forward left--it's between him and Toews. As far as Carter and Gaborik--they're very dangerous but both have been in the east and both have failed out in the east. The difference between Doughty, Subban and McDonagh--not a whole hell of a lot IMO if they're all playing their best.

Anyway the way I look at it is Chicago is the best team and the other three teams pretty much equal. The winning California team is going to have to go through Chicago anyway to get to the finals. If for no other reason that team doesn't have a better chance of winning the Cup than the Rangers or Montreal.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I think you guys can shut the Habs down entirely. You're rolling some excellent defensive depth on both forward and defense, not to mention Hank is playing pretty good.

You guys will win in 6 or 7.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
people always seem to accuse Sather of making questionable moves because they don't consider this team a contender so assets are essentially wasted because we don't even have a chance at the cup. Fortunately or unfortunately, simply having a healthy Hank in the line up makes us a contender every year. We just aren't an elite contender but playing perfect games 4 out of 7 times gets us the results we need.

It sounds both crazy and sensible but I think a strange bizarro key to our matchup with the Habs will be Rick Nash shutting down PK Subban.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
This is a total toss up series. Neither team has a huge advantage.imo. Very even.
I think the difference will be which forward goes crazy from either team. and/or who's special teams does the best.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Maybe, but if Mtl beats N.Y., a lot of Rangers fans will be *****ing about the refs and the dirty Canadiens. That's a guarantee.

if the NHL is rigging anything, I think having New York in the finals (especially if we go up against Chicago or LA, even Anaheim is LAish enough as far as the rest of the country is concerned) will be in their best interest. LA vs NYR will probably break a lot of TV records for them.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
Maybe, but if Mtl beats N.Y., a lot of Rangers fans will be *****ing about the refs and the dirty Canadiens. That's a guarantee.

Haha, probably.

If the Habs win and wind up playing LA or Anaheim, I'll be rooting for them.

If they win and wind up playing Chicago, I'll probably root for Chicago, but maybe them.

Hopefully that won't be an issue though.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Habs fan coming in peace.

I feel bad for you guys because you're now stuck with Boston fans on your bandwagon... :laugh:

Just kidding, here's hoping to a great series. I love it that skill, speed and goaltending will be at the forefront in this year's ECF. :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad