Series Discussion: Columbus (3) vs Pittsburgh (2)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I understand the article, but don't understand your comment.

Think he meant the article was good in that it explained why the CBJ went away from focusing so much on hitting/physical play and decided to get down to business in trying to score on Fleury. Think the surprise is because Portzline comes across as an old school guy? Maybe?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Think he meant the article was good in that it explained why the CBJ went away from focusing so much on hitting/physical play and decided to get down to business in trying to score on Fleury. Think the surprise is because Portzline comes across as an old school guy? Maybe?
It's more that Portzline has historically been a very strong supporter of "must bring in more tough guys". He was seemingly all for making Jon Mirasty a roster regular a ways back, for example.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It's more that Portzline has historically been a very strong supporter of "must bring in more tough guys". He was seemingly all for making Jon Mirasty a roster regular a ways back, for example.

Don't forget Oleg Yvenko, who was all the rage around Columbus after he destroyed Oliver Bjorkstrand in development camp and had an ice fight or two in preseason.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Well we do need a Prout replacement now.

His name is Gavrikov.

(a little OT, training camp is gonna be intense for that bottom pair next season. Nuutivara, Carlsson, Harrington, Gavrikov all fighting for one, maybe two spots. And I'm sure I'm missing a player or two who could fight for that spot.)

Back on topic.. Jackets need to come in focused and ready to play a full 60 minutes. We've seen what happens when they let off the gas in the 2nd. We've also seen what happens when they put the pedal to the floor, turn on cruise control and run through the league for 16 straight. Like others have said, if Bob can lock it down for a game I think he can get his mojo back. And as long as the offense is scoring there's no reason why they can't put up a fight.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Our heads were not completely in it these last few weeks. We need to acquire more talented players like P.K. Subban. That is how your build a championship franchise.

Like Jones and Werenski? Skill on the blue line is fine, very young but very good. Upgrading skill is never a bad thing but obviously its needed up front much more then on defense

OnYourIgnoreList

Dec 21, 2006
Game 4 I couldn't bring myself to watch, and then they won, so superstition being what it is, I didn't watch game 5 either. Anyone have a link to the disallowed goal? I want to see it for myself.

Having said that, I would think that in an elimination playoff game, it would have to have been an exceedingly clear instance of interference to be waved off.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Game 4 I couldn't bring myself to watch, and then they won, so superstition being what it is, I didn't watch game 5 either. Anyone have a link to the disallowed goal? I want to see it for myself.

Having said that, I would think that in an elimination playoff game, it would have to have been an exceedingly clear instance of interference to be waved off.

Wennberg hit Fleury in the head. It was the right call. However, a penalty SHOULD NOT have been called.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Not sure why coach and players are saying that this wasn't a 4-1 series. Team lost 3 games in Pitt by a combined 12-4. Maybe with better goalie play it wasn't a 4-1 series, but yes, after what I watched with Pens scoring an average of 4-5 goals a game... 4-1 is about right.

OnYourIgnoreList

Dec 21, 2006
Wennberg hit Fleury in the head. It was the right call. However, a penalty SHOULD NOT have been called.

Thank you.

I'm not sure I agree that it was the right call to wave off the goal. I see Wennberg deliberately moving his stick out of the way just before impact, but having nowhere to go due to pressure and body contact on his right. I'm not sure how he could have avoided the contact. But, tonight of all nights, I am not going to quibble with a fellow CBJ fan.

But the idea that he also got a penalty - I didn't even realize that. That's...not a thing for which I would commend the refereeing.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Didn't see it live but from the second gif it sure as heck looked like Wilson hooked Wennberg and forced him into Fleury. At worse it should have been a penalty on Wilson and goal disallowed for incidental contact. Can't say one call cost the Jackets the series but as calls go this one really blows.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
I'm not saying the series was decided by the officials, and they were bad both ways, but only one team got away with stuff or were gifted calls in the high leverage situations that the other team didn't get. Game 3 and Game 5 especially. That part is incredibly disappointing because I feel like we didn't get a fair shake. I kept saying that one team knows they can get away with everything and is playing like it while the other team doesn't even know what the rules are. Maybe that's just as simple as being less experienced with playoff officiating.

I don't know how the Gagner penalty is a penalty when that happens all the time. I don't know what Wennberg is supposed to do. He's hooked, held, pushed into Fluery, who dives, we get a penalty and we miss out on what was turning into a great scoring opportunity. Of course they scored on both power plays because it seemed like they only scored on the power plays they shouldn't have had. The Penguins are hard enough to beat when everything's on the level. Borderline impossible when they're gifted chances.

The other thing that sucks is Bob was absolutely dreadful. If we'd gotten the good Bob we're likely moving onto the second round right now and we're the story of the playoffs, not Nashville.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The other thing that sucks is Bob was absolutely dreadful. If we'd gotten the good Bob we're likely moving onto the second round right now and we're the story of the playoffs, not Nashville.

We scored 4 goals in 3 away games how many of those should Bob have won?

Granted he was awful but our offense on the road was pathetic as well.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I don't know how the Gagner penalty is a penalty when that happens all the time. I don't know what Wennberg is supposed to do. He's hooked, held, pushed into Fluery, who dives, we get a penalty and we miss out on what was turning into a great scoring opportunity.

It was also a nice touch by the Pens' bench to send their trainer out to check on Fleury after Wennberg mauled him lol. That's sadly a piece of gamesmanship we might need to start using if we want to get anywhere in the playoffs.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
We scored 4 goals in 3 away games how many of those should Bob have won?

Granted he was awful but our offense on the road was pathetic as well.

Good Bob wins Game 3 and Game 5, and maybe Game 1 where if you take away the second period meltdown that was a close game. Dealing in hypothetical what ifs we have to assume that if Bob keeps puck out of the net at one end we have no idea what could've happened at the other. The offense plays differently when they don't have to worry about what's going on in the net behind them.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
My initial thought after the fifth Pens goal and I tweeted it, was if they think we're goons, then give them goons and hurt someone. It was emotional, admittedly, but looking back the Jackets played that game exactly how they should have. They never quit, continued to play hard and try to even it up. Proud of them for that. I can never get too angry if a team leaves it all on the ice/field. The Pens are just better. They have oodles more skilled offensive talent than the Jackets (Captain Obvious). One thing that I rolled through my head, especially last night, is that the Jackets injuries ended up being far more significant than the Pens. Not having Z, Murray and Foligno was just back breaking.

That said, I hope the front office sees where the holes are at and do their very best to fill them. This league is about speed and skill, not size and brawn and the series proved as such. We've got a lot of good pieces, but a lot of pieces that don't fit quite right. I hope this series loss burns all summer long, drives their offseason training and they come back better than this season. They made a lot of gains with the fan base and they can't take steps backward like they did in 2014. Hopefully this is the season we can say as fans that we've turned the page on the suck.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
It was also a nice touch by the Pens' bench to send their trainer out to check on Fleury after Wennberg mauled him lol. That's sadly a piece of gamesmanship we might need to start using if we want to get anywhere in the playoffs.

Didn't they do the same thing for Malkin? I'm still not sure how they didn't call a dive on him. Pens fans were giving Foligno crap, didn't see anyone willing to give that to Malkin. Mediocre sell job at best. Anderson shouldn't have reacted, but that was a love tap at best.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Dating back to the regular season, Wennberg had 1-7-8 in his last 25 games and was a -4. #1 C material? Kid just might have cost himself a couple million by disappearing.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
In that room, I think they very clearly think the refs screwed them in this series. HOWEVER they and their coach will not make excuses. "That was not a 4 to 1 series". Torts "You watched the series". These veiled shots the refs. And rightfully so.

You are supposed to manage these sorts of situations, but there were a number of game swinging bad calls that went the way of Pittsburgh.

Game 3 especially had a blatant hold/trip in a corner that immediately led to their 3-1 goal. Werenski in a pool of blood for their 3-2 goal. Fleury 6 inches out of his crease and Wennberg gets pushed into him disallows a goal.

Add in a few phantom calls like Gagner and Anderson last night. Foligno games before.

We had a puck bounce off an open door that could have been blown dead. A missed trip from Saad in Game 1. That's the most I can think of.

Torts talked more about surges in this series. Refs do affect these surges. Do these things happen if you play someone other than Pittsburgh? Who knows. Who cares.

At least Torts might be able to recycle his effective "gain respect in the league" line.

ALL this considered AND awful goaltending AND losing two of our top 5 dman -- minute to minute we played the defending champs pretty well. Hopefully this launches us this summer.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Pens never felt out of control in the series. Even in Game 4, they were just so tactical and a buzzsaw of momentum. We dominated 1st period but who cares? They ALWAYS pushed back or "surged" in the 2nd periods and carried that momentum into the 3rd periods. We never figured that out or figured out how to counter. Pens showed poise of champions (because they are). We've got to learn that and get better next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad