Series Discussion: Columbus (3) vs Pittsburgh (2)

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
As I was thinking about this series early this morning, I wondered if the CBJ hitting was beginning to take a toll on Pittsburgh physically and the series was beginning to turn. Granted, this could well be just wishful thinking on my part, given my bias.

Then the Scott Hartnell interview article showed up from the Columbus Dispatch. Hartnell basically admitted that the hitting and scrums after whistles was tiring out the CBJ, and not working. He explained this line of thinking in part to justify why he was a healthy scratch last night.

The article draws a correlation between the late regular season Pens games and games 1 & 2 in Pittsburgh. The contrast is the 9 goals scored in the 2 most recent games when compared to the 3 goals scored in the previous 3 match-ups.

This leaves me with conflicted feelings. If John Tortorella is such a good coach, why did he not recognize this sooner. But....credit him for recognizing it before he goes back to the condo in Tampa for the off-season.

Like other regulars in this forum, the Gabe Carlsson role seem curious. Ditto Harrington. Nutivaara contributed well for 66 games this season, while Harrington sat for long stretches. My hopes are very high for Gabriel Carlsson, but not in the playoffs two weeks after he comes to North America. I understand Murray is hurt, but this team isn't that thin.

The series lasts until one team wins 4 times. That hasn't happened yet. Until then....keep working hard. Go Jackets.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Last night CBJ had a HUGE (YUUUGE) advantage in scoring chances and high-danger opportunities. With a league-average tender, that's a 5-2 game. Bob is due for 2-3 extraordinary games in a row after this funk.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Jackets have played 14 playoff games in their existence.

They've never given up less than 3 goals.

Wow. That pretty much sums it up right there.

Allowing 14 games in a row since the lockout in the playoffs has got to be a record. It may be an all time record. That's just horrible.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If Dubi makes the shot in OT Sunday it's a different series.

The defense has been solid. But, man alive Bob!

As much as people wanted to pile on our team after falling down 3-0, they have not played bad at all this series. We literally had no bounces in the first couple games, but on top of that, if Bob was just average nhl goalie in this series, its easily 2-2 , maybe us up 3-1 . Jackets are going to really have to consider if Bob has what it takes to stick with him going forward. This isn't the first time he has crapped the bed in the playoffs. If they do decide to keep him, we absolutely need option 1b instead of Korpi or Forsberg. You cant go into the playoffs assuming Bob wont crap the bed again.

Privet

Sep 25, 2015
Victoria, BC
As much as people wanted to pile on our team after falling down 3-0, they have not played bad at all this series. We literally had no bounces in the first couple games, but on top of that, if Bob was just average nhl goalie in this series, its easily 2-2 , maybe us up 3-1 . Jackets are going to really have to consider if Bob has what it takes to stick with him going forward. This isn't the first time he has crapped the bed in the playoffs. If they do decide to keep him, we absolutely need option 1b instead of Korpi or Forsberg. You cant go into the playoffs assuming Bob wont crap the bed again.

Agreed, imagine if we had traded for Jaroslav Halak in trade deadline. Would be amazing to have him right now.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio

This is what I've said. To lift the Cup the goalie HAST TO BE THE BEST PLAYER ON THE ICE. Bob has not been....... Perhaps, they give Korpi (if he's still around) or Forsberg a shot soon.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The thing with Bob....is I think it would take just ONE shutout, or game where he stands on his head, and then he would run off a string of great performances.

Just has to do it once.

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
If we can win Game 5 in Pittsburgh I think we could ride that momentum all the way through a Game 7.

All depends on Bob though. He's been dreadful and I hope to God he picks it up tomorrow.

We all thought our big problem in this series would be our struggling offense, but the boys are putting up 4 and 5 goal performances and still struggling to get the win.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
If we can win Game 5 in Pittsburgh I think we could ride that momentum all the way through a Game 7.

All depends on Bob though. He's been dreadful and I hope to God he picks it up tomorrow.

We all thought our big problem in this series would be our struggling offense, but the boys are putting up 4 and 5 goal performances and still struggling to get the win.

Scoring goals at home.. not on the road. Need the same offense tomorrow night or else Bob has to stand on his head 100%.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I made a semi-facetious post about Bob having not established himself in the playoffs. While what I said is bunk as a serious point, it's got to be said, playoff Bob isn't the "real" Bob.

This isn't supposed to be an apologist post, but isn't it clear that something is up with him, and he's not playing like we know he can play? I guess what I'm saying is, I know there are those who might contend that the low-level of play exhibited by Bob fits cleanly into an assessment of him as inconsistent, and his regular season numbers should also be read as inconsistent.

I lean towards the argument that what's wrong with him right now can be fixed because we've seen how dynamic and solid he is in real life.

An available rebuttal of that argument is how poorly Rick Nash does in the playoffs versus his (for the most part) effectiveness during the regular season. My response is that Nash is a skater, and I'd need to see a similar regular season vs. playoffs performance drop-off from some goalies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Jackets posted pics of them arriving in Pitt.

Wennberg looks evil

Edit: any word on Murray? I know Jody and Rimer we're saying they were surprised he didn't dress last game and could dress next game.

Ryan Murray that is.

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Jackets posted pics of them arriving in Pitt.

Wennberg looks evil

Edit: any word on Murray? I know Jody and Rimer we're saying they were surprised he didn't dress last game and could dress next game.

Ryan Murray that is.

Looks to be carrying things ok.... time to play!?

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
If Dubi makes the shot in OT Sunday it's a different series.

The defense has been solid. But, man alive Bob!

Hard to make that assumption because if the Jackets win maybe Nuti doesn't play, maybe the Pens come out harder in the 1st, etc.

I agree on Bob though... he's played like a backup.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
If Wennberg looks evil it is because he is killing us with his poor play during the PO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad