Series Discussion: Columbus (3) vs Pittsburgh (2)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I've got to quit reading the mains. JFC, I'm pretty sure that Penguins translates to insufferable in yinzer. For fans that root for the reigning champs, I've never seen such a heavy persecution complex. I guess I've been watching a different Jackets team all year because apparently the Jackets are the dirtiest team in the history of the league because someone has the gall to touch Crosby. Just enjoy rooting for your team, holy hell, the Jackets only wish they had that much skill and can flip the switch like they can.

There's certainly quite a few fans like that and I can't stand 'em either. That said, I've been making a point of keeping an eye out for Pens fans who aren't acting like that, and there's actually quite a few. More than the complainers, in fact, which is a bit of a relief. I prefer to be able to respect my foes, and that makes it possible.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Part of our complex about it is because of how many injuries we get year in year out. It doesn't help that a couple of our core players seem to be made out of glass.

Injuries happen. Two years ago, the Jackets were decimated by injuries and it ruined the entire season. What Pens fans lose sight of is that they have FOUR elite talents on there roster (Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and Letang). There are only two other franchises that have that (Hawks and Kings) and they've won 7 of the last eight cups combined. I'm not sure the Jackets have had one in their history. Arguments can certainly be made for Nash, Bobrovsky and soon Werenski and Jones. You're blessed to root for a team that has had some pretty good fortune. All I'm saying is take a deep breath and enjoy it, because it won't always be this way.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Blackhawks down 0-3
Caps down 1-2
Rangers down 1-2
Wild down 0-3

Only one metro team may make it out of the first round.

Pens fans must be feeling great on their wide open door to back-to-back cups.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'm not sure I buy this whole we have played with them the whole series...they have dominated keeping possession in our zone, they have completely flummoxed us trying to enter their zone. They have had better scoring chances and their goalie has outplayed Bob.They have had more odd man rushes.

The best "possession tracking" stat available says CBJ have actually held a possession advantage.

Agree on the rest, though.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Injuries happen. Two years ago, the Jackets were decimated by injuries and it ruined the entire season. What Pens fans lose sight of is that they have FOUR elite talents on there roster (Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and Letang). There are only two other franchises that have that (Hawks and Kings) and they've won 7 of the last eight cups combined. I'm not sure the Jackets have had one in their history. Arguments can certainly be made for Nash, Bobrovsky and soon Werenski and Jones. You're blessed to root for a team that has had some pretty good fortune. All I'm saying is take a deep breath and enjoy it, because it won't always be this way.

Nailed it for CBJ. Just never have had elite talent outside of maybe Nash and regular season Bobrovsky. Need at least 3 to make a Cup run, probably 4. If you pencil in Jones and Werenski, you still need a forward to become a threat every time he has the puck. Is it Wennberg? Saad? Bjorkstrand? Abramov? Future draft pick? One player needs to pan out as a top 10-15 offensive threat in this league and we need a 2nd to be a top 20 guy. We're not close yet.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
It's just been such a letdown. I was looking forward to this for months and it could be over in six days. If Dubi scores in OT instead of hitting Fluery's mask tonight would have a different tone, but he didn't. It just has really sucked any interest I've had in the rest of the playoffs. Couldn't watch any of the games last night. I can't watch another Pittsburgh run to a title where everything falls just right for them. I've seen that movie before.

I'm just really mad at the league right now. To go through the best regular season ever and our reward is playing the defending cup champs on the road. It just feels like it was all for nothing. It sends the message that the regular season doesn't matter and in the end you'll just be humiliated by a Pittsburgh team. Again.

Last edited:

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
oh, come on. Yeah, it's a bummer, and I agree the playoff format is absurd, but if we can't keep up with the champs, that says something about the Jackets.

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
I'm just really mad at the league right now. To go through the best regular season ever and our reward is playing the defending cup champs on the road. It just feels like it was all for nothing. It sends the message that the regular season doesn't matter and in the end you'll just be humiliated by a Pittsburgh team. Again.
Just our luck, right? In our previous two playoff appearances, we have to play a cup contender because of our low seeding, then they change the playoff format and we have a good regular season, and have to play a cup contender anyway.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
It's kind of our fault. The Pens were decimated with injuries all season and got to 111 points. We took our foot of the gas for the last 40 games and coasted to 108 points.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Why does Bob fade in the playoffs?

He's about as strong as Mason mentally when it comes to the NHL playoffs.

Internationally, there may not be a better goaltender.

Regular season, definitely top 5 of the last 5 seasons

Playoffs... 2-9

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
oh, come on. Yeah, it's a bummer, and I agree the playoff format is absurd, but if we can't keep up with the champs, that says something about the Jackets.

Yeah it does say something about the Jackets, but I'd rather learn this lesson in the second round where this series should've happened than go through an entire season like the one we just watched and not only not get rewarded for it, but get punished for it. I'm watching Boston/Ottawa and Montreal/New York knowing we could hang with either team. We got the worst possible matchup because we were too good. I can't help but feel cheated.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'm watching Boston/Ottawa and Montreal/New York knowing we could hang with either team. We got the worst possible matchup because we were too good. I can't help but feel cheated.

Scoring 1 goal against Pittsburgh's backup goal tender in first two games doesn't give me much hope that we would have matched up well vs anyone.
Our offense is pretty poor right now and Bob is not sharp at all.
We were one of the best teams in the league for a good portion (at least a third maybe even half the season) but we player terribly down the stretch. It's just not our year, have to have great goaltending and clutch goal scoring and not getting either right now.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Why does Bob fade in the playoffs?

Here's how I'm choosing to think about it- he hasn't established himself in the playoffs. Remember last year, when he melted down in the first game of the season, soon thereafter to say he didn't have any confidence? Then the whole year he was inconsistent.

But then this year happened, and he's been great.

So it's always darkest before the dawn, right?

So next year in the playoffs, Bob will be LIGHTS OUT.

Never mind 2014, first playoffs never count.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Here's how I'm choosing to think about it- he hasn't established himself in the playoffs. Remember last year, when he melted down in the first game of the season, soon thereafter to say he didn't have any confidence? Then the whole year he was inconsistent.

ideas.jpeg

OnYourIgnoreList

Dec 21, 2006
When you step back and take it all in, this seeding format is breathtakingly stupid and robs teams and fans of something they've earned.

Many years ago, I remember reading or hearing that each home playoff game was about $1 mill in "free" revenue for the home team since salaries are not paid in the playoffs. This had to have been 10 years ago maybe, so I'd guess each home game is closer to $1.25 mill per now.

So if we were seeded like any rational format dictates against a lower team, there's a pretty decent shot the org would get a minimum of 3 home games of extra revenue (presuming a loss in 5 games in the first round) and possibly several more if they extended the series and/or won it. This is not to mention the ancillary revenue in the Arena District before and after games.

For a cash strapped franchise, being able to claw back some small portion of the losses from prior years could be a big deal. Of course, all that's predicated on the idea of playoffs being "unpaid" time, which I never confirmed was true.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Just our luck, right? In our previous two playoff appearances, we have to play a cup contender because of our low seeding, then they change the playoff format and we have a good regular season, and have to play a cup contender anyway.

It's kind of our fault. The Pens were decimated with injuries all season and got to 111 points. We took our foot of the gas for the last 40 games and coasted to 108 points.

I started on one of my epistles, then read these 2 posts and stopped.

My short version...We have not been to the playoffs enough as a team for fans or players to not be feeling devastated after Sunday. We have not been to the playoffs enough for Bob to get his bearings either. That doesn't mean he couldn't or shouldn't have played better, it is just fact that we have been here INFREQUENTLY, and this season's 108 points raised expectations. Had we squeaked in, maybe the expectations would have been easier to place.

I love what I've seen/heard from ZW the past 36 hours.

The series tells me that our D (once we have all of them on the ice together) is highly talented - I don't get the 53-54 3rd pairing for the series, but that is a different discussion.

The series and the last month of the season tell me that our veteran forwards are a bunch of grinders who care a bunch but are not elite talents. We love them BECAUSE of that, but there are simply too many of them with similar characteristics, with Boone and Andy still young but in similar molds. And it is in part this love affair with this team that makes the sudden end of this season that much harder to take. Because we are sad this group could not get it done, and this particular group probably cannot get it done. They blessed us with 108 pt season out of nowhere, but the last month and the PO's show that having to play at the constant pace they played in November/December took a lot out of them, and when they let off the gas in early March, they couldn't find the gas or their confidence to get things ramped up for the PO's. We weren't supposed to be on the doorstep of contending for another couple of years. The D is ready. The veteran forwards, as a group, are not, at least not at the elite level that taking the Pens out requires. The G I think is ready, just a bad stretch at wrong time. How long do we move along with 43, 17, 71 and 89? Do you start the slow purge now by not re-signing 89 and buying out Hartnell? Or only the first of those moves? I suppose that is determined by A) how quickly are PLD, Abramov, Bjorksrtrand, etc...ready? B) Is Wennberg going to take another big step forward or this the Wennberg for the duration? and C) Is there other elite F talent available via FA or trade, at an acceptable (albeit high) cost? Not talking blow it up, we need a 17 and/or a 71. We don't need 4-6 of them, however, in today's speed-demon NHL. That's what Crosby's line has shown to me - it isn't just 87's skill, its the speed and skill of his two kid wingers.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I started on one of my epistles, then read these 2 posts and stopped.

My short version...We have not been to the playoffs enough as a team for fans or players to not be feeling devastated after Sunday. We have not been to the playoffs enough for Bob to get his bearings either. That doesn't mean he couldn't or shouldn't have played better, it is just fact that we have been here INFREQUENTLY, and this season's 108 points raised expectations. Had we squeaked in, maybe the expectations would have been easier to place.

I love what I've seen/heard from ZW the past 36 hours.

The series tells me that our D (once we have all of them on the ice together) is highly talented - I don't get the 53-54 3rd pairing for the series, but that is a different discussion.

The series and the last month of the season tell me that our veteran forwards are a bunch of grinders who care a bunch but are not elite talents. We love them BECAUSE of that, but there are simply too many of them with similar characteristics, with Boone and Andy still young but in similar molds. And it is in part this love affair with this team that makes the sudden end of this season that much harder to take. Because we are sad this group could not get it done, and this particular group probably cannot get it done. They blessed us with 108 pt season out of nowhere, but the last month and the PO's show that having to play at the constant pace they played in November/December took a lot out of them, and when they let off the gas in early March, they couldn't find the gas or their confidence to get things ramped up for the PO's. We weren't supposed to be on the doorstep of contending for another couple of years. The D is ready. The veteran forwards, as a group, are not, at least not at the elite level that taking the Pens out requires. The G I think is ready, just a bad stretch at wrong time. How long do we move along with 43, 17, 71 and 89? Do you start the slow purge now by not re-signing 89 and buying out Hartnell? Or only the first of those moves? I suppose that is determined by A) how quickly are PLD, Abramov, Bjorksrtrand, etc...ready? B) Is Wennberg going to take another big step forward or this the Wennberg for the duration? and C) Is there other elite F talent available via FA or trade, at an acceptable (albeit high) cost? Not talking blow it up, we need a 17 and/or a 71. We don't need 4-6 of them, however, in today's speed-demon NHL. That's what Crosby's line has shown to me - it isn't just 87's skill, its the speed and skill of his two kid wingers.

Yup, thats my complaint. Team has way to many good players, not many great players, and at the forward position, we are way to grinder like, with Hartnell, Boone, Anderson, Foligno, and Dubinsky. Too me, Dubinsky and Foligno are basically the same player. We need speed and ability to break defenses down with that speed. I know some here dont like Duchene, but watch this video, and see what jumps off the screen, his crazy speed, and his ability to pot goals that i have rarely seen as a jacket fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8IrrAPtQfU

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
When you step back and take it all in, this seeding format is breathtakingly stupid and robs teams and fans of something they've earned.

Many years ago, I remember reading or hearing that each home playoff game was about $1 mill in "free" revenue for the home team since salaries are not paid in the playoffs. This had to have been 10 years ago maybe, so I'd guess each home game is closer to $1.25 mill per now.

So if we were seeded like any rational format dictates against a lower team, there's a pretty decent shot the org would get a minimum of 3 home games of extra revenue (presuming a loss in 5 games in the first round) and possibly several more if they extended the series and/or won it. This is not to mention the ancillary revenue in the Arena District before and after games.

For a cash strapped franchise, being able to claw back some small portion of the losses from prior years could be a big deal. Of course, all that's predicated on the idea of playoffs being "unpaid" time, which I never confirmed was true.

The players are paid, but I believe the money comes from a league wide fund and it's not that much money.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Never considered this. It really doesn't seem equitable.

Give Montreal an extra. OK. They won their division. But, Ottawa, who finished 10 points behind the Jackets gets an (potential) extra revenue game? Really.

I suppose the argument that "it all evens out over the long run" would be valid except that playoff formats change so regularly.

Maybe the Jackets will stiff the league on some payments:laugh:

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
"As much as you want to hit them I don’t think, well, obviously it’s not working," said Hartnell, who has no points and is a minus-2 in the series. "Basically, all it does is tire you out. Watching the other (playoff) series, there hasn’t been that much of the ‘I’m going to run you over for the fun of it.’ At the end of the day, you’ve got to outscore them and I hope that’s what the guys do tonight.

Scotty knows what's up. Torts is Team USA Torts. Sigh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad