Series Discussion: Columbus (3) vs Pittsburgh (2)

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
We scored 4 goals in 3 away games how many of those should Bob have won?

Granted he was awful but our offense on the road was pathetic as well.

It also has to be noted that Fleury was every bit as bad as Bob in games 3 and 4.

Dating back to the regular season, Wennberg had 1-7-8 in his last 25 games and was a -4. #1 C material? Kid just might have cost himself a couple million by disappearing.

If would be silly to sign him to anything more than a bridge deal at this point.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
It also has to be noted that Fleury was every bit as bad as Bob in games 3 and 4.

My point was the away games. It wasn't Bob that lost those games alone. Our offense scored 1 goal in 2 games and 2 goals in other.
At home I agree pin game 3 on Bob.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
By and large I was more impressed with the way our young guys played than our veterans.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
By and large I was more impressed with the way our young guys played than our veterans.

One of Viqsi's cookies for you.

Our kids brought it...not one of them was out of place.

The Forward vets were largely invisible. The Goalie vet found the puck to be invisible.
Saad still young, but a vet on this team - he didn't suck, but was just Ok.
Hartnell disappeared in the jet fumes - just too slow.
Foligno fumbled the puck the entire series and killed momentum.
Dubi would make a dumb play for every good one.
Gagner - enough said. We got more than we paid for, he helped get them to January, but "NEXT."
Cam was invisible except for first 5 minutes of Game 3.
Calvert is exception - he was good with exception of end to Game 2.

Bob - ouch, fought it every game.

The young guns were very visible, mostly in good ways.
Andy was very good, if not exceptional, most of the time.
Boone was the Boone we want to keep - banger who thrives in PO type play.
Bjorkstrand didn't score but he held his own - he needs some strength, which he will get.
Wild Bill found his game - he struggled with Malkin early in the series but was good at both ends the last half of the series..
Sedlak was solid when he finally got on the ice.
Wennberg was the exception for the young guns - he wasn't wretched horrible, but he didn't do anything to write home about (bad call on him last night).

D is a different story. Both vets and youngsters were good if not great. A few times they got caught standing around and not clearing pucks or people, but for the most part the D was good, close to exceptional in the offensive zone.
The Harrington/Carlsson pairing for Games 1-3 was puzzling. Carlsson looks to be a keeper but a few mistakes in early games and Torts limiting that pair's ice time affected the entire D corp.
IMO Quincey and Nutivarra were fine as 3rd pair in Games 4 & 5 - Nutti was noticeable, mostly in good ways.
Savard and JJ were VERY good, if not exceptional. JJ needs to play the Pens and PO hockey more often!
Seth was mostly stellar, a few mishaps but that will happen with the minutes and role he plays.
Zach was outstanding. Carlsson looked fine paired with Seth.
Murray returns next year tbd.

VERY HAPPY with the season. Very sad and a little disappointed today.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
In Ice Hockey (NES) terms, we need more of the top and less of the bottom

il_570xN.788301482_8tj9.jpg

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Thank you.

I'm not sure I agree that it was the right call to wave off the goal. I see Wennberg deliberately moving his stick out of the way just before impact, but having nowhere to go due to pressure and body contact on his right. I'm not sure how he could have avoided the contact. But, tonight of all nights, I am not going to quibble with a fellow CBJ fan.

But the idea that he also got a penalty - I didn't even realize that. That's...not a thing for which I would commend the refereeing.

Interesting....Steve Kouleas , NHL Network XM radio host, was very critical of the call. On multiple occasions has stated it should have been a goal and the penalty call was ridiculous....of course, matters not now.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Wennberg was being hooked on that call. Just not a good call but I don't think it would've matter given Bob's issues.

Interesting that the Jackets trajectory was upward offensively the entire series, but you can't spot the Pens 2 games. Game 1 and 2 they simply had trouble getting off a quality shot and even Vezina Bob likely isn't enough to win those given the quality shot disparity. Game 3 they had 5-6 frenzied/great minutes early, then weren't very good the rest of the way (with a decent goalie that's a CBJ win, though). Game 4 they were consistently better and aided by Fleury as well. Game 5 was the best offensive game they played. 50ish shots and many quality shots.... good stuff. These weren't shots fired into Fleury's chest from the blue line, Scott Arniel style... They just didn't quite have the skills to sink them and Fleury made very good stops all night.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
So the Caps have got smashed on home ice twice.

Will how this series play out have any impact on your perspective of our season? Considering all the issues we had in our series (depleted d, very questionable officiating, and horrific goaltending), I think we were much more competitive than what I've seen from the Caps so far.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Will how this series play out have any impact on your perspective of our season? Considering all the issues we had in our series (depleted d, very questionable officiating, and horrific goaltending), I think we were much more competitive than what I've seen from the Caps so far.

This sentiment is hugely reinforced by being a DC resident, but nothing would make me happier than the Caps being swept by the Pens.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This sentiment is hugely reinforced by being a DC resident, but nothing would make me happier than the Caps being swept by the Pens.
This. Altho ultimately what I'm hoping for is for the Pens to be crushed by the Preds in the SCF. ;)

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

Like most of us, I was disappointed in the series vs. the Pens. I am wondering now if the Jackets were not really so bad, but more that the Pens have a gear that other teams just don't possess.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
Like most of us, I was disappointed in the series vs. the Pens. I am wondering now if the Jackets were not really so bad, but more that the Pens have a gear that other teams just don't possess.

Yes they do. The Penguins are like the Spurs or the Cavs in the NBA. They know the regular season doesn't matter. Their guys are experienced enough and been through enough regular seasons to know when to ease up in the regular season and experienced enough to know how to turn it up once the playoffs start. The stacked Red Wings teams of the late 90's/early 00's used to do this too. They'd get up by a couple goals and then you could see them start to coast, but when the playoffs started they'd never go into that coast mode.

Our guys were full bore for the regular season and sort of ran out of gas after the clinch and then couldn't get it back once the games mattered again.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Maybe its the time that has elapsed but as I watch other series it seems to me the Jackets lacked playoff intensity. Young guys maybe because they hadn't been there before; veterans maybe because they've only been sporadically.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I don't see an extra gear at all. I saw the youngest team in the league play the most/one of the most experienced playoff team with a hurt D and a goalie that was in his own head. We lost 4-1 but that series could have easily been 3-2 us if the officiating in that last game didn't go to **** and a puck didn't go off a mask in ot.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Maybe its the time that has elapsed but as I watch other series it seems to me the Jackets lacked playoff intensity. Young guys maybe because they hadn't been there before; veterans maybe because they've only been sporadically.
Really? I've only had a chance to watch the Sens-Rangers series, but watching that I think "Wow, the Jackets are so much better than both these teams." And that if they played one of those teams the exact same way they played the Pens, even with bad Bob, we would've beaten them handily.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Really? I've only had a chance to watch the Sens-Rangers series, but watching that I think "Wow, the Jackets are so much better than both these teams." And that if they played one of those teams the exact same way they played the Pens, even with bad Bob, we would've beaten them handily.

I felt the same in 2014.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I don't see an extra gear at all. I saw the youngest team in the league play the most/one of the most experienced playoff team with a hurt D and a goalie that was in his own head. We lost 4-1 but that series could have easily been 3-2 us if the officiating in that last game didn't go to **** and a puck didn't go off a mask in ot.

There is an extra gear. They turned it on when the Jackets and Pens played the last game against each other before the playoffs. They've been a different team since then.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
There is an extra gear. They turned it on when the Jackets and Pens played the last game against each other before the playoffs. They've been a different team since then.

If they have an extra gear it's the same as the CBJ normal gear... look at the stats from every game except the final score we outplayed them whether it's basic stats or advanced and I HATE advances stats. Corsi to me is so stupid I can't stand those arguments but even using those metrics we did better. At the end of the day the only difference was Bob letting in way more then we could deal with. There weren't many goals that you couldn't describe as soft. Even with a lot against us we still outplayed them in all but 1 game... There is nothing about then penguins that scare me as a team except the fact that Malkin and Kessel in the playoffs can be lights out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad