Post-Game Talk: Series Discussion: 2015-16 ECQF - Detroit vs. Tampa Bay

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
That's my biggest knock on Cooper. He's trying to ice a defensive-minded team that, with what he got in terms of player ressources, is as physical as possible. Why? Because (and of course I'm just speculating) that's how it's supposed to be in a playoff environment. Hard-nosed, low-scoring and physical. He completely ignores that even without Stamkos and with a banged up Johnson or Callahan, his team is still highly competitive in terms of offensive prowess. Because that's the way it's built by Yzerman.

He completely ignores that he has the possibility to dictate the game flow and pace with all these fast and talented players. Why not ice three lines of dynamic and energetic players? Kucherov, Palat, Johnson, Drouin, Marchessault, Namestnikov, Brown, heck even Killorn or Filppula - they all can fly. Make these slow teams looking to play the body and clog up the middle of the ice get dizzy when our team trucks by them. I mean we're talking Detroit Red Wings here, not Washington Capitals or other teams like that that are on a whole different level right now.

Too bad we didnt practice and optimize this brand of hockey at all the entire season. It's the old personnel vs. game plan debate from the other thread, really.

Bingo. Guy Boucher said it best: speed intimidates. Last year, we were the fasted team in the league, no doubt. If you ask me, no one else really came close besides the Stars and Hawks. Now... I can't remember a game where we've dictated play, much less a game where we did it with our speed.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
As I've said in the Jon Cooper thread, Cooper can't just close his eyes anymore when it comes to Drouin. The trade demand, him refusing to play later on and getting suspended brought lots and lots of attention to the situation. Suddenly it was all eyes on Tampa (players, GMs, coaches, fans and the media of course from all across the league and the world of hockey). Now after he has reported back and the team has lifted the suspension, Drouin has performed on all levels (Syracuse, Tampa). Simpy put, people will argue in favor of Drouin, if Cooper goes back to putting Drouin on a line with Boyle and Brown for 5-8 minutes a game. He can't afford it. The organization can't afford it. With Drouin answering his critics with goals and assists and two-way play on the ice, Cooper's and eventually Yzerman's credibility would be questioned in case of another demotion or - how the media and both Tampa Bay and outside fans will put it - further mismanagement of a high caliber talent.

On a scale compared to Drouin nobody gives a crap about Marchessault or Namestnikov.

i do but im just a fan so guess im a nobody:( your ruining me today hahaha vladdy is our next palat ive said it for two years think is proving right

cooper today talking about playing in closets i wanted to strangle something lol he already has an ideal of how this series will be that is where he FAILS and i agree with everyone its about adjusting as a player and as a coach and this year he will have to totally adjust in order to take us anywhere so interesting to view this at the end where we end up

I wouldnt go in thinking this is going to be any one way myself id be open to what happens and make adjustment to style and lines etc.. as needed so yes this is his time to get burned or shine im hoping he shines in spite of all the fears we still got a shot we are going to be tested like never before i still feel we can make a run my heart feels this

my head says ohh the loses but its never easy to win the cup the injuries etc.. we have a good enough team to win with bishop playing the way he has so is interesting season and playoffs for sure

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...red-wings-tampa-bay-lightning-fight/83125722/
“It’s been a physical series,†Abdelkader said today at Joe Louis Arena, where the Red Wings will host the Lightning for Game 3 on Sunday night. “Each game kind of takes its own shape. Yeah, I don’t expect anything else. I think both teams are focused on playing hockey and winning games. Obviously, sometimes that stuff happens at the end. I think the major focus is to win the game.â€

What set Abdelkader off?

“It was kind of a play in front of the net where Richie had slashed Sustr’s stick," he said. "And then Sustr engaged with him and (Nikita) Nesterov kind of jumped in and put Richie in a headlock. Richie was in a tough place with both those guys … I just went to grab Nesterov. Before I know it, I’m getting jumped from behind on my back. And then I’m at the bottom of the pile, which is always really dangerous there. Sliding myself out.

"Obviously, there’s some punches thrown. Obviously, emotions run high at the end of a game. Wasn’t looking to go out and fight anyone or to do anything. But sometimes, altercations like that happen.â€
The Wings are 1-for-10 on the power play after two games. Blashill dismissed the idea of bringing back Anthony Mantha from Grand Rapids to help out.

The Wings had an optional skate today. The only regular on the ice was Gustav Nyquist. The others who practiced were goaltender Petr Mrazek, defenseman Brendan Smith and forwards Teemu Pulkkinen, Tomas Jurco and Drew Miller.

Asked if there was any consideration to playing Pulkkinen, who could help get the puck on net on the power play, Blashill said all things are being considered.

Blashill said Pulkkinen hasn’t done as good a job in limited opportunities in the NHL as he did in the AHL.

“As he gets more opportunity, he will deliver lots to the net, but can you get comfortable enough in one game is what we’re going to have to measure and decide as we decide our linup tomorrow,†Blashill said.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
So he knows about being under a pile is dangerous and puts you in a vulnerable position yet he is wailing on a guy in a vulnerable position. Sounds good man. :thumbu:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
What a joke this Abdelkader quote is:

And then I’m at the bottom of the pile, which is always really dangerous there.
Blunden was in exact that position when Abdelkader decided to punch the back of his head while Blunden was lying on his stomach completely defenseless.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Game 2:

dashboard-1-96.png

https://gamecharts.wordpress.com/2016/04/16/2200/

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I'm not a stats guy. Can someone explain to me exactly what corsi is? It's just quality of competition, isn't it?

ill let an expert take this one

i think eye test is most important stats bear out the truth imho over time of the eye test what your seeing usually is correct

corsi the rest has a lot to do with roles on team if you didnt look at things like defensive toi or zone starts and all the rest you would think guys like carle filppula and callahan are absolutely useless but when you look at deep stats and corsi among other things you get a bigger picture to use

the good hedman would have good numbers or purcell or filppula:) the bad stamkos and msl would be horrendous or very low corsi numbers

so palat ive never looked at his he controls the puck but moves it fast in straight line therefore im not big on corsi im more the big picture overall picture who starts where do they consistently either get the puck out of zone or enter hold in other teams zone:)

corsi is big on shots over goals for and against etc..

is just another tool not sure how i feel about it myself:)

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
I'm not a stats guy. Can someone explain to me exactly what corsi is? It's just quality of competition, isn't it?

Corsi is a metric that people use to quantify possession, although it's not perfect. It counts not only shots on goal, but also shots that miss the net and blocked shots. So on a player by player basis, it's essentially shot attempts for your team that you were on the ice for, minus shot attempts for the other team you were on the ice for. On a team by team basis, it takes the whole game into account. In certain cases it can be misleading, but in general it shows how much your team possessed the puck while you were on the ice/throughout the game.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Corsi is a metric that people use to quantify possession, although it's not perfect. It counts not only shots on goal, but also shots that miss the net and blocked shots. So on a player by player basis, it's essentially shot attempts for your team that you were on the ice for, minus shot attempts for the other team you were on the ice for. On a team by team basis, it takes the whole game into account. In certain cases it can be misleading, but in general it shows how much your team possessed the puck while you were on the ice/throughout the game.

I'll add it can be more useful when looked at with zone starts as someone that generally starts in the offensive zone should have a higher corsi than someone that starts defending more frequently.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Well it just shows what everybody already knows. The Johnson line and especially Johnson was shutdown completely. Meanwhile Filppula (4) and Drouin (3) had 7 of our measly 16 SOG.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Also shows how awful Nesterov was, which we already knew. Nestea is only good when we're the ones dominating.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
All I know is we have to win Tuesday and go home with a 3-1 lead. Can not let them tie this and give them new life.

Tampa always has issues putting games away its the same thing with this series, they take their foot off the gas and give Detroit a chance to comeback and steal it. Game 4 is huge now, it can put us back in a nice lead or give Detroit more momentum and tie it up putting even more pressure on Tampa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad