Serie A 2022-23

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
After that signing, offensively I think Milan aren't that much behind of any team in Europe on their best day with Leao and de Ketelaere on the flanks (obviously their CF is much worse than the absolute top teams).

That said, I'm far less convinced with them as a team when it comes to defensive side of the game. Neither of those guys have been committed defensive players.

Adli (or Brahim Diaz) probably won't be able to do that much defensive work if they play as high on the pitch as anticipated. Not to mantion their group of center forwards.

With Theo Hernandez not being a stalwart defensive player either, I'm afraid they can be exploited on the flanks. It will put enormous pressure on Tonali/Bennacer (or anyone else in that spot) plus the CB's to be great defensively. Maignan also has to make several great saves during the season.

I would be satisfied with Milan finishing 3rd in Serie A and going relatively far in the CL (say QF's) while playing more attractive football than last year, where they had quite a few 1-0 or other narrow wins after stellar defensive work.

Reactions: Power Man

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
He's very good IMO. Tall, talented forward.
Thanks

He reminds me of Zlatan, which is kinda of ironic
Can't be a bad thing, can it? :)

I would be satisfied with Milan finishing 3rd in Serie A and going relatively far in the CL (say QF's) while playing more attractive football than last year, where they had quite a few 1-0 or other narrow wins after stellar defensive work.
Milan looked promising in a tough CL group last season, they deserved a better outcome

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
After that signing, offensively I think Milan aren't that much behind of any team in Europe on their best day with Leao and de Ketelaere on the flanks (obviously their CF is much worse than the absolute top teams).

That said, I'm far less convinced with them as a team when it comes to defensive side of the game. Neither of those guys have been committed defensive players.

Adli (or Brahim Diaz) probably won't be able to do that much defensive work if they play as high on the pitch as anticipated. Not to mantion their group of center forwards.

With Theo Hernandez not being a stalwart defensive player either, I'm afraid they can be exploited on the flanks. It will put enormous pressure on Tonali/Bennacer (or anyone else in that spot) plus the CB's to be great defensively. Maignan also has to make several great saves during the season.

Adli apparently impressing, which is good to hear.

Reactions: SempreMilan

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
with Leao and de Ketelaere on the flanks

He reminds me of Zlatan, which is kinda of ironic

Okay so De Ketelaere is not a winger nor is he a striker. He did play both positions (along several others lol) for Brugge at times because when he first broke through our coach kinda used him everywhere on the pitch because he's got so many tools and is so intelligent. But by now its clear that his best position is probably the 9.5 or 10 so as a playmaker or behind a striker. I would say the best comparison is probably Havertz.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Okay so De Ketelaere is not a winger nor is he a striker. He did play both positions (along several others lol) for Brugge at times because when he first broke through our coach kinda used him everywhere on the pitch because he's got so many tools and is so intelligent. But by now its clear that his best position is probably the 9.5 or 10 so as a playmaker or behind a striker. I would say the best comparison is probably Havertz.

Yeah, I'd think he wil play a sort of an inside forward for Milan like Leao. If Milan would put him behind the striker in the middle of the pitch, then certainly Milan have no use for both Adli & Diaz (not to mention some other players).

With the Milan strategy, it seems that the best place for a player looking to score or contribute offensively is on the flanks (outside of the more static lesser players on CF spots).

I think he will start in the right forward position.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
In the games i saw him, he played as a forward. He is tall, lanky and good technical skills. Kind of reminded me of a young Zlatan.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
So Raspadori is basically trying to force a move to Napoli and has already agreed terms but ADL is holding firm over $10 million which is probably going to result in him going to Juve. Fun.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
AFCON should be during the summer. Find a way to play the games in cooler parts of the continent, all the games at night, or in indoor stadiums in the Gulf states.
Not sure why some African nations shouldn’t be able to host or have a normal tournament just because of European leagues.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
AFCON should be during the summer. Find a way to play the games in cooler parts of the continent, all the games at night, or in indoor stadiums in the Gulf states.
The Gulf states? They’re not in Africa

Not sure why some African nations shouldn’t be able to host or have a normal tournament just because of European leagues.
To be fair these clubs pay their salaries. I can see an argument for it

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Then don’t use players from Europe. Clubs pay their salaries.

The Gulf states? They’re not in Africa

But it’s right near Africa and it’s a neutral location with those types of stadiums. It would be equivalent to a Copa America in the USA.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Then don’t use players from Europe. Clubs pay their salaries.

But it’s right near Africa and it’s a neutral location with those types of stadiums. It would be equivalent to a Copa America in the USA.
That was a one off and connembol does this to include more teams in the tournament since SA doesn’t have many teams to participate. This isn’t an issue for Afcon. You’re talking about having a continental tournament move full time into another continent.

Reactions: Savant

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Should Juve be worried? They got trashed 4-0 by Atletico week before start of the season, Morata hattrick. Looks like they were playing close to first choice line-up.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Some sloppy defending, but Milan start their title defence with 4-2 win over Udinese. Rebic with two goals.

Liked Brahim Diaz effort and skill in the match. Sub debuts for Origi and De Ketelaere. Latter played sometimes deep, but largely in middle of the pitch. Showed some nice playmaking skills and passing.

Another Belgian sub Saelemakers showed his typical sparkplug performance, but also his usual lack of finish and no general end product.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad