Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Bob's agent giving him bad advice... :naughty:

And Major Major/Etc Group: remember, this won't be a distraction ;)

I never said Bob wouldn't be a distraction, that was about Panarin. I believe I said yesterday that I think the Bob situation very likely will be a distraction. Read literally.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
That second deal is probably a little light. If I had to guess, I could see something like a 2nd, 4th/5th, Tarasov or Vehvilainen, a roster player (Murray?), and one of the non Tex/Abramov/Foudy but still good prospects (Stenlund/Peeke/Davidsson/etc).

They would just sign Bob instead of paying a REDICULOUS price for Lundqvist. They have all these good young goalies for a reason.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Pretty much sums up Korpisalo's time in Columbus.

1 guy will be making 2-3 times more for the near future.

After the Blue Jackets were bounced in the first round by Washington, Bobrovsky angered some in the organization by saying, unprovoked: “After this series, I completely disagree if somebody will say that I need a psychologist.”

"Angered some in the organization"...….some WHAT? Front office, or players?

He might not need a psychologist, but hopefully he didn't get a new glove either.

His glove at the end of last year clearly wasn't 'broken in' the way it should have. 9 million dollar goalies can catch the puck.

In 'hindsight', tell me this isn't a weak as f*** rebound. Shot isn't hard, from WAY out, and no screen. Just drop the puck right out front?.....OK.

Last edited:

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Uh, wait. This is for Henrik Lundqvist, who has three years left at $8.5m per?

I can understand not wanting to commit long term to Bobrovsky because you don't want to risk having to overpay a goalie who has tailed off at the end of his deal. I can't understand why you'd want to skip straight past the elite years to the last three years, to a goalie who has now tailed off like Lundqvist. Clearly, making Bobrovsky heppy again has to be a preferable course to that.

I'm not in favor of taking on a super expensive goalie, unless he really is the best goalie on the planet (Bobrovsky). If we lose him, then go cheap. I'm also not sold that a less-athletic type like Rinne could handle the Jackets playstyle.
This is for Henrik Lundqvist, hypothetically, next offseason when he has 2 years left and Bob has walked, yes. (See post 330 where I first threw out this random hypothetical).

I've seen a lot of people saying "let Bob walk, Korpi's good enough to be our full time starter", and I don't agree. I think Korpi has more to show than he's been able to behind Bob, but that's 30-35 games rather than 55-60. If Bob walks, I think we need another starting goalie for 2-3 years as a CYA move until we know what we have in Merzlikins/VV/Tarasov. As far as I know, I'm the only person who's suggested other goalies that might be a good option. I'm not sure Hank has dropped off as much as the team in front of him was a mess last year. I rather have a Matt Murray/Vasilevsky situation from Elvis with two years of Hank than 8 of Bob. I do see what you're saying, though.

I hadn't given the athleticism thing with Rinne much thought. That is a good point.

In the end, I think Jarmo breaks the bank and gives Bob something like the big contract. I'm not going to be happy about it.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Bob is making $7.4M...CBJ has shown Bob plenty of respect. Very disappointed with Bob's attitude.
He better have a good reason he showed up late today . If not , I’m on the phone arranging a trade . 2 Russian divas are what we have . Panarin now with a strained neck

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Why are we getting worried? He was late, not absent.
For the first day of camp ? After sounding like a spoiled baby yesterday . He has no one to blame but himself . You want to be paid top dollar , you perform when it matters . Bob flopped in the playoffs in Philly, has been brutal in the playoffs here , and expects the Cbj to vastly overpay for a 31 yr old goalie , that has had 0 success in the playoffs .

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
For the first day of camp ? After sounding like a spoiled baby yesterday . He has no one to blame but himself . You want to be paid top dollar , you perform when it matters . Bob flopped in the playoffs in Philly, has been brutal in the playoffs here , and expects the Cbj to vastly overpay for a 31 yr old goalie , that has had 0 success in the playoffs .
Goalies didn't need to be there until 2pm. They had to get up and be there by 645 and then do whatever. I'm not blowing a gasket cause dude didn't get up on time. Should he have been there? Of course, but it's not a huge deal.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
So it's been speculated that Bob was looking for $12 million, correct? Management probably laughed and Bob said "Ok, I'll kick ass again this year and either you or someone else will pay me what I think I'm worth". Those are his "plans" IMO and I don't find anything offensive about it.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
So it's been speculated that Bob was looking for $12 million, correct? Management probably laughed and Bob said "Ok, I'll kick ass again this year and either you or someone else will pay me what I think I'm worth". Those are his "plans" IMO and I don't find anything offensive about it.
Kick ass again by showing up late on the first day of camp ? Seems like we have Panarin with a mysterious sore neck , and Bob creating drama yesterday , and then showing up late today . I don’t see this allowing to fester long .

Reactions: CPTN71

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Yes, I don't find that offensive.

But he's clearly not so cavalier about it. Bob wants the CBJ to want him. He wants to be here, to finish the job, and he wants the team to respect him. You can call it prima-donna but he is in fact, that good.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He better have a good reason he showed up late today . If not , I’m on the phone arranging a trade . 2 Russian divas are what we have . Panarin now with a strained neck

Yes and if Seth Jones at some point feels disrespected by the FO, just go ahead and ship him out too.

I can think of something worse than having divas on your team. How about having no f***ing talent.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If he was late as a power play in negotiations or late for a good reason, neither looks good on someone who is playing for a 10 million dollar contract. I'm assuming Torts will have some sort of punishment to hold him accountable in front of the rest of the team. Otherwise the groundwork is being set for the inmates to run the asylum.

If he thinks he's worth Carey Price numbers he is mistaken. Carey Price isn't worth Carey Price numbers and the Canadiens will regret this contract for years. Bob already makes more than every goalie in the league who has played in the Stanley Cup in recent years.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This is for Henrik Lundqvist, hypothetically, next offseason when he has 2 years left and Bob has walked, yes. (See post 330 where I first threw out this random hypothetical).

I've seen a lot of people saying "let Bob walk, Korpi's good enough to be our full time starter", and I don't agree. I think Korpi has more to show than he's been able to behind Bob, but that's 30-35 games rather than 55-60. If Bob walks, I think we need another starting goalie for 2-3 years as a CYA move until we know what we have in Merzlikins/VV/Tarasov. As far as I know, I'm the only person who's suggested other goalies that might be a good option. I'm not sure Hank has dropped off as much as the team in front of him was a mess last year. I rather have a Matt Murray/Vasilevsky situation from Elvis with two years of Hank than 8 of Bob. I do see what you're saying, though.

I hadn't given the athleticism thing with Rinne much thought. That is a good point.

In the end, I think Jarmo breaks the bank and gives Bob something like the big contract. I'm not going to be happy about it.

Merzlikins/VV/Tarasov honestly, honestly, doesn't mean squat. You get goalie prospects to insure your superstar starter. You don't dump your superstar starter to make room for your goalie prospects. Because even the best of them are question marks until they do it in the NHL. And we don't have the best of them. Not a single one of those guys is making the top goalie prospect lists. Pronman just put out his top 25 G and none are on it. Korpisalo is much higher regarded, and he's maybe an average starter, we can hope.

Hank is putting up ~.910 .915 these days, about what you might expect from Bob when he's 37. That's the downside at the end of Bob's long term deal, hitherto the reason not to sign him. You want to skip the upside part, the elite upside part, to go straight to the downside part, to make room for what are now nothing-special goalie prospects?

Reactions: Viqsi

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Merzlikins/VV/Tarasov honestly, honestly, doesn't mean squat. You get goalie prospects to insure your superstar starter. You don't dump your superstar starter to make room for your goalie prospects. Because even the best of them are question marks until they do it in the NHL. And we don't have the best of them. Not a single one of those guys is making the top goalie prospect lists. Pronman just put out his top 25 G and none are on it. Korpisalo is much higher regarded, and he's maybe an average starter, we can hope.

Hank is putting up ~.910 .915 these days, about what you might expect from Bob when he's 37. That's the downside at the end of Bob's long term deal, hitherto the reason not to sign him. You want to skip the upside part, the elite upside part, to go straight to the downside part, to make room for what are now nothing-special goalie prospects?
1. Pronman admits he doesn't know a thing about Merzlikins, which is when his evaluation of goalies lost it's luster for me. No part of me buys Merz is not in the top 25 goalie prospects in the world.

2. My concern with a long contract for Bob isn't a dropoff in Bob's play. It's (a) you shouldn't pay a goalie, any goalie, not even Martin effing Brodeur, 10% of your available cap space and (b) fear about those exact young goaltenders coming in and giving you equal to better goaltending for a fraction of the cost, then being stuck with Bob's contract. Even when playing well (Fleury/Bishop), it's clear how easy it is for a young, cheap option to come in and steal the crease.

In short, it's not a worry of a dropoff; it's worry about being stuck with a $12 million crease share situation where both goalies are good, and the inability to move the massive contract. If I had to choose protecting Fleury or Murray, I would have picked the younger, cheaper option too to keep the rest of my team together.

I'm advocating for flexibility and quality goalie play longterm. I do see what you're arguing and understanding from me.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I never said Bob wouldn't be a distraction, that was about Panarin. I believe I said yesterday that I think the Bob situation very likely will be a distraction. Read literally.
Sure :laugh:

Move the goal posts are far as you want but the bottom line is we are getting very close to things hanging over the team. The stiff neck and one minute late crap are just the beginning.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Sure :laugh:

Move the goal posts are far as you want but the bottom line is we are getting very close to things hanging over the team. The stiff neck and one minute late crap are just the beginning.

I don't think the Panarin situation is actually going to affect play. Everyone likes playing with each other.

The Bob situation I'm not so sure about. I'm frankly pissed enough about the ingratitude towards Bob that I would break a goalie stick on the post. I think Bob might feel the same way. It could hurt his play. And then thinking about going into UFA, imagine how he would react to the "safe-is-death" hockey in front of him? The bad coverage in front of him hurts his reputation, and the unfairness of that has to be grating.

This isn't moving the goalposts. I said this yesterday.

Stiff neck? You're really trying to rope that into this? You don't think it happens?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
1. Pronman admits he doesn't know a thing about Merzlikins, which is when his evaluation of goalies lost it's luster for me. No part of me buys Merz is not in the top 25 goalie prospects in the world.

2. My concern with a long contract for Bob isn't a dropoff in Bob's play. It's (a) you shouldn't pay a goalie, any goalie, not even Martin effing Brodeur, 10% of your available cap space and (b) fear about those exact young goaltenders coming in and giving you equal to better goaltending for a fraction of the cost, then being stuck with Bob's contract. Even when playing well (Fleury/Bishop), it's clear how easy it is for a young, cheap option to come in and steal the crease.

In short, it's not a worry of a dropoff; it's worry about being stuck with a $12 million crease share situation where both goalies are good, and the inability to move the massive contract. If I had to choose protecting Fleury or Murray, I would have picked the younger, cheaper option too to keep the rest of my team together.

I'm advocating for flexibility and quality goalie play longterm. I do see what you're arguing and understanding from me.

1. I don't see any CBJ goalies on any top prospect lists, not just Pronman's.

2. If your concern isn't dropoff or inconsistency, then I think you're just misjudging the value of a great goalie. Martin Brodeur really was worth 10+% of his team's cap. Roy, Belfour, both worth 10+%. I'd argue that Dominik Hasek was worth 25%! The issue is that if we don't have the benefit of hindsight, we don't know which goalies will be that consistent going forward.

3. Of course you pick Murray over Fleury. We aren't in that situation. Fleury was never that great for the Penguins, never close to Bob's level. And we don't have a young goalie close to Matt Murray's level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad