Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
..from the best PP in last 25 years in PO...and he still had second best PK sv% among four. 1 shorthanded goal that he allowed sunked his sv% in this PO.

Do you have the full breakdown somewhere Maylo?

I want to know the 5v5 and 4v5 sv% for all four goalies. I think I've seen you post it before. Not sure where I saw it, I know I didn't calculate it myself.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Do you have the full breakdown somewhere Maylo?

I want to know the 5v5 and 4v5 sv% for all four goalies. I think I've seen you post it before. Not sure where I saw it, I know I didn't calculate it myself.

MAF (5 games)873 sv% ESEvSA 125722 sv% PPPPSA 18
Bob (6 games)926 sv% ESEvSA 162827 sv% PPPPSA 52
Vasy (7 games)911 sv% ESEvSA 191867 sv% PPPPSA 26
Murray(6 games)915 sv% ESEvSA 142765 sv% PPPPSA 17
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
SHh sv% .857 (1 goal on 7 shots. ) all other 3 goalies had 100% SHsv%

source. NHL.com - Stats

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
From the looks of it here, the choir thinks Bob is a bad playoff goalie, and will continue to be.
I meant choir simply as in being on the same side as me.

And even if it were true that he breaks down for some reason in the playoffs, it probably doesn't affect his salary all that much. Somebody is going to pay him $10 million or more just to get them into the playoffs.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
MAF (5 games)873 sv% ESEvSA 125722 sv% PPPPSA 18
Bob (6 games)926 sv% ESEvSA 162827 sv% PPPPSA 52
Vasy (7 games)911 sv% ESEvSA 191867 sv% PPPPSA 26
Murray(6 games)915 sv% ESEvSA 142765 sv% PPPPSA 17
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
SHh sv% .857 (1 goal on 7 shots. ) all other 3 goalies had 100% SHsv%

source. NHL.com - Stats

Someone send this to Porty, AlisonL, etc... When they talk about Bob in the playoffs they've been lumping together this year with his other years. It seems they're in the dark.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
For me, it's not about the money, it's the term. He can make 10 million a year, but anything over 4 years is too much of a risk for a goalie who will be in his early 30s

No doubt it's risky - I'd go 6 years, maybe more at that price because I don't see a big drop-off anytime soon. Late 30s is more what I'm concerned about, not 30s. 30s can be the best time for an elite goalie. It's frequently better than the 20s.

Look at the elite goalie comparables. Here's a list of goalies from the top end of the career save percentage chart, who played in the last twenty years and are now over 35:

Luongo
Lundqvist
Hasek
Thomas
Vokoun

Adding:

Brodeur
Belfour
Roy

Luongo is 39 and just put up a .929 sv%.
Lundqvist is now roughly average but was elite until 34.
Hasek's ungodly elite run was almost entirely in his 30s.
Thomas' ungodly elite run was entirely in his late 30s.
Vokoun's best years were in his 30s.
Brodeur won multiple Vezinas in his mid-30s.
Belfour's best seasons were in his 30s.
Roy had great seasons on either side of 30, but his entire long run with the Avs was in his 30s.
Rinne, I'll throw in, is 35 and just won the Vezina.

I think it's safe to say that the age to expect a decline at for elite goalies is late 30s, not early 30s as it is for skaters.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
All the stuff about Bob's 5v5 save percentages vs. Washington compared to the other goalies is good and well, but it still doesn't change the fact that he's never given up less than 3 goals in a playoff game.

It is fair to say that he's a bad playoff goalie. It's also fair to wonder if he'll ever find his game in the post season. While his sample size isn't big, it's not tiny.

While he can carry a team during the regular season, he is sub par save for a few cherry picked measures in the post season.

NHL.com - Stats

major major

Feb 18, 2013
All the stuff about Bob's 5v5 save percentages vs. Washington compared to the other goalies is good and well, but it still doesn't change the fact that he's never given up less than 3 goals in a playoff game.

It is fair to say that he's a bad playoff goalie. It's also fair to wonder if he'll ever find his game in the post season. While his sample size isn't big, it's not tiny.

While he can carry a team during the regular season, he is sub par save for a few cherry picked measures in the post season.

NHL.com - Stats

This never less than 3 goals stat has to be so grating for Bob. He went half an hour into overtime before allowing the Caps the third goal in game 3. He had some great games in the playoffs that belie the idea that he's a bad playoff goalie. Highlight reel saves as well. Playoff Bob is a myth.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
This never less than 3 goals stat has to be so grating for Bob. He went half an hour into overtime before allowing the Caps the third goal in game 3. He had some great games in the playoffs that belie the idea that he's a bad playoff goalie. Highlight reel saves as well. Playoff Bob is a myth.
NHL.com - Stats

NHL.com - Stats

Um. No. It's not. 89.1 save pecentages and 3.49 gaa are, well, putrid.

Holtby has a 92.9% playoff career save percentage and a 2.04 gaa. In 81 games. That is not putrid. It's anti putrid.

Even Steve Mason, he of a not-so-stellar 2-9 lifetime playoff record ,has a better save percentage (89.7) and gaa (3.27). And those are god awful numbers.
NHL.com - Stats

No way of getting around this, mm. No matter how much you cherry pick stats and want Bob not to be a post season failure.

FWIW, I am not opposed to signing him to a 5 year deal for around $8.5 million. I'll roll the dice on him becoming a serviceable post season player. Because without him, the post season is likely a fantasy for the CBJ. Bad post season > No post season.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
To say Bob is a good playoff goalie is nonsense. Just because he was better than the others who sucked in the playoffs means little if anything. To his credit, I'm pretty sure I remember saying something to the effect that Bob stole either game 1 or 2, 3 goals against not withstanding.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
The team played shit defense in the playoffs this year, and gave up a brutal amount of penalties. Playoff Bob certainly is a thing, but IMO, except for Game 6, he drastically improved this past season. He played very well 5 on 5 and made some big saves that he shouldn't have had to make. The .926% at even strength is a pretty striking stat, especially when you consider how bad our PK was last season- not to mention facing double or more the amount of shots on the PP that any of those other goalies faced.

That was a very winnable series, and I still don't think Bob is the reason we lost. Lack of discipline was.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
To say Bob is a good playoff goalie is nonsense. Just because he was better than the others who sucked in the playoffs means little if anything. To his credit, I'm pretty sure I remember saying something to the effect that Bob stole either game 1 or 2, 3 goals against not withstanding.
3.49 gaa , .891 sv% 5-14 record. Never allowing less than 3 goals in any one playoff game. That is his playoff record. There is a mental aspect needed to excel in the playoffs , and yes Bob played better this playoffs, but his stats are amongst the worst of All active goalies, when you look at his body of work , in the playoffs. There are cup winning goalies out there , making 1/2 of what Bob currently makes, and less than 1/3 of what hes seeking. Why is anyone suprised that the Jackets will be moving on from Bob ? He will be going on 31, with this new contract, has a history of bad groin issues, and has shown he may be a mental case in the playoffs. We have probably the best core of defenseman, 1-6 in the league, yet on offense, aside from Panarin, have no real players that can create their own offense. We went 40 plus games last season, where we struggled to score more than 2 goals , per game. Its really not that hard to understand from a team perspective, why they wont resign Bob. Take that 10 mill, and remake the offense, to go along with one of the best defensive cores in hockey. Thats how you win in todays NHL.

Not to mention, where are you as a team, if you decide to pay a goalie 10 mill, and he gets hurt. Then you have a mediocre offense, a cheap back up trying to fill in, with just a good defense.

Reactions: thebus88

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
We have probably the best core of defenseman, 1-6 in the league, yet on offense, aside from Panarin, have no real players that can create their own offense. We went 40 plus games last season, where we struggled to score more than 2 goals , per game. Its really not that hard to understand from a team perspective, why they wont resign Bob. Take that 10 mill, and remake the offense, to go along with one of the best defensive cores in hockey. Thats how you win in todays NHL.

Not to mention, where are you as a team, if you decide to pay a goalie 10 mill, and he gets hurt. Then you have a mediocre offense, a cheap back up trying to fill in, with just a good defense.

San Jose & Nashville to name a couple who say hello. The rest of your argument is solid imo with the exception of using the 10 mill to remake the offense. I'm not sure that is possible given the
way free agency works in today's NHL. Most teams are locking up their stars with 8 year deals. We're just lucky to be in the Isles' camp in that regard.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Has Bob ever started during a playoff series where his team was the higher seed?

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
NHL.com - Stats

NHL.com - Stats

Um. No. It's not. 89.1 save pecentages and 3.49 gaa are, well, putrid.

Holtby has a 92.9% playoff career save percentage and a 2.04 gaa. In 81 games. That is not putrid. It's anti putrid.

Even Steve Mason, he of a not-so-stellar 2-9 lifetime playoff record ,has a better save percentage (89.7) and gaa (3.27). And those are god awful numbers.
NHL.com - Stats

No way of getting around this, mm. No matter how much you cherry pick stats and want Bob not to be a post season failure.

FWIW, I am not opposed to signing him to a 5 year deal for around $8.5 million. I'll roll the dice on him becoming a serviceable post season player. Because without him, the post season is likely a fantasy for the CBJ. Bad post season > No post season.

I'm not interested in a goalie's career numbers when we just saw him play well in the playoffs this year, and when we know he's an elite goalie. The elephant in the room here is that it's the same job. It's stopping pucks, which he is the best at. Playoffs vs Regular season is largely just short-run vs long-run.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
That was a very winnable series, and I still don't think Bob is the reason we lost. Lack of discipline was.

After that series I don't remember anyone on here blaming Bob for it. It was obvious at the time that it wasn't his fault. He stole us a game and was heroic in game 3, played decently until the third of game 6.

A few months later, barely anyone remembers how he played. People are just looking at his base save percentage, without context, without memory.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Take that 10 mill, and remake the offense, to go along with one of the best defensive cores in hockey. Thats how you win in todays NHL.

That would be lovely. The tragedy is that the only elite players hitting free agency are the players that are leaving the Blue Jackets. There's no one to spend it on, unless you want to give it away to lesser players.

Reactions: Viqsi

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Do you just let them all go then? All 4 who faced the Caps had depressed numbers, with Bob handling it the best of the bunch, by far.

Fleury was getting Conn Smythe talk until he had to face them. Could it be that this is just what a great shooting team does?

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

Our power play, led by Coach Brad Larsen, going something like 1 for 20 in the series might have also played a large part in the series outcome.

I don't place the blame squarely on Bob. Everyone could/should have played better.

But thats not to say I feel he deserves or has earned 7-8 x $10 million.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
San Jose & Nashville to name a couple who say hello. The rest of your argument is solid imo with the exception of using the 10 mill to remake the offense. I'm not sure that is possible given the
way free agency works in today's NHL. Most teams are locking up their stars with 8 year deals. We're just lucky to be in the Isles' camp in that regard.
Nonsense, if you have cap room, it gives you flexibility in trades, etc. to aquire elite players, similiar as to how we did with Panarin. Teams will always make bad cap decisions, and have to dig out. Plus, I dont look at the Panarin situation, and think we will have problems getting a good free agent here. The perception around Columbus has continued to improve, and Jones, Werenski, Pld will make Columbus a desired location. All thats missing is to break thru. Golden State (Nba) was a laughing stock forever, now look at people lining up, and playing for way less to have a shot at a championship. Most players want to go where they have a shot to win it all.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
After that series I don't remember anyone on here blaming Bob for it. It was obvious at the time that it wasn't his fault. He stole us a game and was heroic in game 3, played decently until the third of game 6.

A few months later, barely anyone remembers how he played. People are just looking at his base save percentage, without context, without memory.

It's not, I don't think, that anyone's forgotten. It's that we, while not holding him responsible, were still disappointed the team lost the way it did, and Bob was a part of that.

And now there's this apparent rift and concern over how much he might want to get paid and it's easy to fall back on "playoff Bob" as a way to tip the scales in the debate over whether or not the team should pay him.

Reactions: CPTN71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad