Rumor: [Seravelli] Georgiev will not Re-Sign, Rangers Actively trying to Trade Him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The Henrik situation wasn't known at the time. The two aren't related. DeAngelo would've gone off the deep end anyway. He was upset about the election and vocal about it (mods this was discussed by Edge). Him and Quinn had issues. Quinn sucked and couldn't keep the room behaving.

He's currently injured and because of the Kotkeniemi extension, he probably goes to another team. He's going to have a very journeyman career.
The Hank situation was something everyone in the org & Hank knew about for over a decade... they had no way of knowing he would need to retire when he did but everyone knew his # would go up when he did.

We bought out the greatest, by far, NYR goalie of all time giving us cap issues to keep Geo who by all accounts wasn't nearly as good and apparently had issues with teammates & coaches.

That's a mistake regardless of Hank's heart and as I have stated the mistakes do ADD UP especially when navigating a rebuild.

And again I am not lamenting ADA being gone... I do however take a big issue w getting squat for him after dealing Stepan for he and #7 Lias

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
I’m suspicious of Servavelli. Could a pundit be doing a favor for a favor for a G.M. trying to acquire Georgiev on the cheap? From our brief history with Drury’s group we know there are zero leaks there. And up to this point Mike Luit’s agency has kept to the usual talking points.
I can’t imagine Luit would risk all his future dealings with Drury over one client.
The sports insider is a double agent. They spread propaganda for G.M.’s in exchange for information from failed conversation that those G.M.’s have had with other teams.
Hmmm you could be right.
As Trunp and Derek Jeter taught us - never trust or believe the media.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
There's no conspiracy here. This isn't he first time it has been suggested that Georgiev wants out and his value is at an all time low. Seravelli isn't going to be some GM's mouthpiece just so that GM can pay a 6th instead of a 5th.
Sorry, gonna keep my tin hat on for this one.
Pundit calls G.M. and asks “you’ve got anything for me?”.
G.M. Says yeah “Team A is try to move player John Doe; the asking price is a 1st and an A prospect for which I have no interest.”

Later on the G.M. Calls the Pundit and says “hey, I need you to put this out there; many teams have been calling me asking if would be willing to trade J.Q. Public.”
Pundit says “is that true?”
G.M. “Nah, gotta move him and am trying to up the value.”
Pundit “Geez, I don’t know about that.”
G.M. “Hey, don’t I always take your calls; don’t I throw you a bone now and then.”
Pundit “okay, I’m your guy”.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I’m suspicious of Servavelli. Could a pundit be doing a favor for a favor for a G.M. trying to acquire Georgiev on the cheap? From our brief history with Drury’s group we know there are zero leaks there. And up to this point Mike Luit’s agency has kept to the usual talking points.
I can’t imagine Luit would risk all his future dealings with Drury over one client.
The sports insider is a double agent. They spread propaganda for G.M.’s in exchange for information from failed conversation that those G.M.’s have had with other teams.
Is Ron Duguay in on the conspiracy?

I know Drury runs a tight ship but it’s not like these issues are something that could be hidden from the outside world. If fans are noticing it, teams front offices around the league certainly do

Reactions: Cmox

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If they extend the QO and he refuses to sign it he can sign overseas and that's it, and we don't get compensation in any way. We'd hold his NHL rights I believe through his age-27 season, so not even much longer.

I'd just move him out for what ever we can get and see if we can then acquire someone else under control who isn't expensive. I don't care if we give up more for that person than we get for Georgiev as we'll need a backup beyond this season. Kinkaid isn't a solution, I don't think Huska is either. Garand and Boyko are probably a season or two away from being able to contribute.

Correct. NHL rights of a player expire on July 1st after their 27th birthday*. In the past, the Rangers have had this happen with Jensen and Klingberg. It all but guarantees we get nothing for Georgiev being so close to his UFA status but at this stage, I think the ship for a trade has sailed because a team has to extend a QO to retain his rights which could result in him signing it and the team getting an unproven starter at 2.65m

*The only exception is a KHL player who never came over. Those rights are retained indefinitely.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Guy doesn’t want to be here.
Guy needs to go.

Part that makes me angry is that he wants to leave to be a full time starter. That’s bullshit. He’s not well liked and it’s partly because there’s guys in the room that happened to like the other player.

Everyone thinks that Lindgren and Fox are the best of friends but Fox and Tony D were super tight. Best buddies even. It could be argued all day long that this is Fox’s team now. How does that work for their relationship? It doesn’t.

This is not a Tony D redemption post. He was in the wrong. It was blown out of proportion, one guy stayed one guy went. The guy went wanted to stay. The guy that stayed wanted to go. The internet blogger blew it up to a racial incident. He’s as much to blame as Jesse Smollet. The worlds a powder Keg. The Rangers lost a Major asset. They are about to lose another one.

The move should have been move both players.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
Then thanks for the help, Mr. Seravelli. Id gladly take any pick for him.

Edit: still getting used to this new shit

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't really think the TDA thing has anything to do with Georgiev's status in the locker room. The rumors about Georgiev have been around going back to when TDA was still on the team. If Georgiev isn't well-liked, I think it's just because of him and who he is. The players came to Georgiev's defense during that altercation, from all reports. Anything to do with TDA at this point is just trying to tie the whole thing together and put a bow on it.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
The Hank situation was something everyone in the org & Hank knew about for over a decade... they had no way of knowing he would need to retire when he did but everyone knew his # would go up when he did.

We bought out the greatest, by far, NYR goalie of all time giving us cap issues to keep Geo who by all accounts wasn't nearly as good and apparently had issues with teammates & coaches.

That's a mistake regardless of Hank's heart and as I have stated the mistakes do ADD UP especially when navigating a rebuild.

And again I am not lamenting ADA being gone... I do however take a big issue w getting squat for him after dealing Stepan for he and #7 Lias
Not to mention it was the final season of Lundqvist’s contract in a rebuilding season. They valued Georgiev that much that they were willing to buy out a franchise icon. And Georgiev rewarded that faith by being a huge baby, a bad teammate and his his play got worse.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Great point!

So in other words, there is a GM out there wanting Geo but Drury wants a 3rd or a 2nd. Interesting!

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

Dude I knew about the Hank heart situation since 2006. I talked about it on these boards when the announcement was first made and what I said came out to the press a few days later. I knew two people associated with the Rangers back around that time up until about 2011.

No one knew how good Igor would be at the point Hank was bought out. Georgiev has gotten progressively worse since right before the 2020 stoppage. But at the point of the buyout, he was the better of the two options. The Hank buyout cap wise wasn't the problem. That was Shattenkirk and Girardi.

Yes Cullye is the only piece left from that trade and it sucks. Gorton was a very good GM however there was a lot of turmoil in the organization while he was in charge. He had to basically beg Quinn to come to NY and pay him big $. Quinn was terrible.

Gorton also had infrastructure issues like the organization being too soft and lots of moody diva kids they drafted who quit on the Rangers (it was something like seven). I'm not a Drury fanboy at all. I actually really disliked him as a player here by the second month however if he can fix the root cause issues that occurred during Gorton's reign, cool.

The whole "we can't buy out Henrik because it's disrespectful" argument was cringe. The team traded away or had to get rid of at least 4-5 players during his tenure due to his cap hit. His number was always going up to the rafters. It was time to move on.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Not to mention it was the final season of Lundqvist’s contract in a rebuilding season. They valued Georgiev that much that they were willing to buy out a franchise icon. And Georgiev rewarded that faith by being a huge baby, a bad teammate and his his play got worse.

Once again, no one knew what Igor would be based on a small sample size and durability issues. Igor's "breakout" season is arguable this year.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Dude I knew about the Hank heart situation since 2006. I talked about it on these boards when the announcement was first made and what I said came out to the press a few days later. I knew two people associated with the Rangers back around that time up until about 2011.

No one knew how good Igor would be at the point Hank was bought out. Georgiev has gotten progressively worse since right before the 2020 stoppage. But at the point of the buyout, he was the better of the two options. The Hank buyout cap wise wasn't the problem. That was Shattenkirk and Girardi.

Yes Cullye is the only piece left from that trade and it sucks. Gorton was a very good GM however there was a lot of turmoil in the organization while he was in charge. He had to basically beg Quinn to come to NY and pay him big $. Quinn was terrible.

Gorton also had infrastructure issues like the organization being too soft and lots of moody diva kids they drafted who quit on the Rangers (it was something like seven). I'm not a Drury fanboy at all. I actually really disliked him as a player here by the second month however if he can fix the root cause issues that occurred during Gorton's reign, cool.

The whole "we can't buy out Henrik because it's disrespectful" argument was cringe. The team traded away or had to get rid of at least 4-5 players during his tenure due to his cap hit. His number was always going up to the rafters. It was time to move on.
I knew someone on here mentioned the Hank heart thing before it was made public... didn't remember it was you. Kudos.

I still would've kept Hank for one yr and rolled Shesty and him... the issue back then was everyone saying we had 3 goalies.

We had two and we bought one out.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I'm surprised Hank's buyout is still a talking point here when another team's doctors looked at him and immediately said he was medically unfit to play, like some awkward cap management that thought Alexander Georgiev was good could have saved his life, it's more serendipitous than anything else

Reactions: haveandare

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Filip Gustavsson in Ottawa. The Senators have Matt Murray signed for the next two seasons. $6.25M. They also have Anton Forsberg. He is a free agent this summer. One day Ottawa is planning to re-sign him. The next day Ottawa will try to trade him. If Pierre Dorion does re-sign Forsberg, Gustavsson is the odd man out. His contract becomes a one day deal next season. $825,000. $787,500 cap hit. His waiver exemption expires after this season. He played a good game against the Rangers last month.

Sounds interesting . The price might be right . I should watch more Sen hockey . They are young and exciting but a bit banged up of late .

Reactions: haveandare

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
So just as we said, he is unliked in the locker room. Cannot believe we lost Tony D because of this hump. Same old Rangers at their finest.

Georgiev not being liked in the locker room doesn't make Tony D a better person. Tony D clearly crossed the line too many times and earned what happened to him. It's not like the Georgiev incident was some isolated thing.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Everything said about Georgiev is true. But none of that changes the fact Tony D was a problem that needed to go. Both being a problem is a valid answer.

what reason other than not liking his politics would anyone have to explain why tony needed to go? just cant wrap my head around how insane it is to take offense to someone elses opinion. who gives a sht if it aligns with you or doesnt. idno if thats you but its basically the only rationale ive seen, maybe theres a competent case to be made. because he was very well liked in the locker room. we were a better team with him than without...thats a guy i keep around. stupid decision.

georgiev we should fire into the sun yesterday

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Oversimplification. It's nice to say things like this but is it really even true? Which other goalies in the world wouldn't be playing second fiddle to Igor Shesterkin?

Realistically, even if Georgiev played to the absolute best of his personal abilities he would still be backing up Shesterkin for the rest of his career. As would pretty much every single other goalie currently playing ice hockey in the world today. Andrei Vasilievskiy would be backing up Igor Shesterkin.

It's not oversimplified at all and he hasn't proven shit to be a starter anywhere else either. What is he, roughly 45-55 in terms of goalie rankings in the NHL? That's barely backup level and he's pouting and being a poor teammate to boot? Like Kravtsov, he should've sucked it up and performed at his best until an opportunity arose. He doesn't *deserve* anything based on his performance and neither did his RW counterpart and now their both looked at as prospects/players with baggage which doesn't help either of them. It's poor professionalism and being a poor teammate.

• Haha
Reactions: Chaels Arms

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
what reason other than not liking his politics would anyone have to explain why tony needed to go? just cant wrap my head around how insane it is to take offense to someone elses opinion. who gives a sht if it aligns with you or doesnt. idno if thats you but its basically the only rationale ive seen, maybe theres a competent case to be made. because he was very well liked in the locker room. we were a better team with him than without...thats a guy i keep around. stupid decision.

georgiev we should fire into the sun yesterday
If you don’t shut up about it, look to start arguments with others about conspiracy theories you know they disagree about, and are a complete ass about it, it likely matters. But I’ve never been in a locker room so I dunno.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Georgiev not being liked in the locker room doesn't make Tony D a better person. Tony D clearly crossed the line too many times and earned what happened to him. It's not like the Georgiev incident was some isolated thing.
I don’t consider telling a shitty goal that he’s shitty a fireable offense and a reason to 86 the more talented player, past history or not. Now were stuck with a goalie who can’t stop pucks and the more talented player is having a great season with a very good team.

Great business decision though. No wonder Dolan fired the guy who made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad