TSN: Seravalli: Flames trying to get a right-shot winger

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What the heck, dube and 1st for brust?

the flames need to rebuild, why do they want to trade a young player and a lottery pick for an older player that won’t make a difference?

That wasn't the proposal. It took 5 seconds to check and not embarrass yourself...and you didn't do it. Have some respect for yourself.

Not a bad start of you pull Tkachuk out if the deal and then find a way to

Rust isn't getting 20 minutes a night of ice time with Crosby in Calgary.

Yeah but you can say that about any legit wing that produces well with other good players. Not to mention the bulk of Rust's breakout came with Malkin so it shows he works well with other good players. Plus, Sid and Geno are 33 and 34, he could work just as well with other young players.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
That wasn't the proposal. It took 5 seconds to check and not embarrass yourself...and you didn't do it. Have some respect for yourself.

yes it was because the other guy is throw in garbage

Whoever made that proposal is clueless....and an embarrassment

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It's fine if that's not your taste.

Rust was a PPG player last year and is on pace for 60+/per 82 this year while excelling with elite talent. He has speed, skill, and a great forechecker. Right hand shot and makes $3.5mil this year and next. Seems like the ideal candidate...

Mang and Dube are 30-40pt players (I get pumping the tires and the idea of "well ONE day they COULD...") but you're getting a player that produces at nearly 2x the pace. If either were the answer to your wing needs, we wouldn't be having this thread. The 1st incentivizes us to part with Rust and the reduction in point production. I added Riikola to bolsters your back end.

I used the Kapanen+ for 1st+Hallander+ as a guide for value. 1sts should be close. Mang/Dube > Hallander but Rust is a much better producer than Kapanen was (at the time of the trade). Top line winger vs 3rd line. Given the fact we are adding a roster PMD (not something we got with Kapanen) at good value, I don't think the value is that far off, if at all. You can say no though, that's fine but let's not dilute ourselves into thinking it's a low ball.
It's a low ball. Mangi is scoring almost as much as B. Rust this year without playing with a superstar and is 4 yrs younger and cheaper, Dube is even younger. At their age, B. Rust was in the minor. And you want us to throw in the potential lottery pick?

Last edited:
Reactions: Boomstick

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Per Friedman, the Flames were discussing options for a right handed winger from Nashville but it never went anywhere. Among right handed forwards, they have (just listing guys that are recognizable, so no McCarron);
Arvidsson, Forsberg, Grimaldi, Jarnkrok, and Sissons. Of those guys I wonder who Calgary was really looking at and where things fell off.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Not a bad start of you pull Tkachuk out if the deal and then find a way to

Rust isn't getting 20 minutes a night of ice time with Crosby in Calgary.

Are you suggesting that Rust is a product of Crosby? Because that could not be further from the truth. His career year he played the majority of the season on a line with Evegni Malkin and wasn't even on the first PP unit. If you look at both Sid and Geno's numbers with Rust and without Rust, they are better when Rust is on their line, not the other way around. Rust is making his line mates better.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Armia is only good if he comes in at 50% and costs less than a 2nd

Rust wouldn't fit the team so no real interest inhim especially at the cost of a 1st, maybe a 2nd + Kylington/Ruzicka.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Are you suggesting that Rust is a product of Crosby? Because that could not be further from the truth. His career year he played the majority of the season on a line with Evegni Malkin and wasn't even on the first PP unit. If you look at both Sid and Geno's numbers with Rust and without Rust, they are better when Rust is on their line, not the other way around. Rust is making his line mates better.

So Rust makes Crosby and Malkin better, not the other way around?

Ok.....

Reactions: Waivers and Bond

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's a low ball. Mangi is scoring almost as much as B. Rust this year without playing with a superstar and is 4 yrs younger and cheaper, Dube is even younger. At their age, B. Rust was in the minor. And you want us to throw in the potential lottery pick?

Bryan rust was winning his 1st Stanley cup at 23 going on 24, and at Mangs age now 24 going on 25 real soon, Rust was winning his second.

I get not wanting to trade your guys who are young, but Rust comes with more experience, and probably have way more impact for the Flames.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Bryan rust was winning his 1st Stanley cup at 23 going on 24, and at Mangs age now 24 going on 25 real soon, Rust was winning his second.

I get not wanting to trade your guys who are young, but Rust comes with more experience, and probably have way more impact for the Flames.

Ah yes, I remember when Rust strapped those Pens team on his back; in back to back seasons and said ‘this one’s mine Sidney.’

Who cares about guys who’ve been there? Flames over the years have churned out a bunch of the Chicago winning roster players, as leadership guys and that’s panned out as imagined. Having complimentary players and saying ‘this guy was 9th fiddle on a cup winning team’ is worthless.

If we’re giving in Andrew Mangiapane, we’re not going to do it for a guy who’s put up similar numbers, plays with one of the top 5 players in the world, and is more expensive. It doesn’t make sense. Like you have to see that.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Everyone in the league shouting at the Canucks and Flames to just kiss already

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ah yes, I remember when Rust strapped those Pens team on his back; in back to back seasons and said ‘this one’s mine Sidney.’

Who cares about guys who’ve been there? Flames over the years have churned out a bunch of the Chicago winning roster players, as leadership guys and that’s panned out as imagined. Having complimentary players and saying ‘this guy was 9th fiddle on a cup winning team’ is worthless.

If we’re giving in Andrew Mangiapane, we’re not going to do it for a guy who’s put up similar numbers, plays with one of the top 5 players in the world, and is more expensive. It doesn’t make sense. Like you have to see that.

Well, I stated a case proving Rust wasn't just some guy sitting in the minors at their age. Don't get all offended on my account proving that fact.

Similar numbers as of this year? A team playing bad... now picking up?

You have seen Rust's numbers, right? Not just this years. And Rust wasn't "always on the top line(s)." 16'17 and 17/18 he wasn't. Regular season. That spot was filled by Kessel, and Sid's was filled by Simon.

It's also proven the top 5 stars just don't make every player more than they are already, because if they did, Rust would have been closer to a point per game a lot sooner. So, as things go, you'd be looking for a guy like Rust if you were a playoff or cup contender, and most certainly you'd move one for his services, but Calgary is not, so in comes not moving them for high prices. Same as not for Rakell, who'll probably be at equal or--->more than Rust.

I understand your end. You just wouldn't get Rust cheap either. No matter the age, no matter the fact Mang is having a good year from the 3rd line...

I didn't make any offers in here. You have to see that...

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Honestly at this point they should like just call Phillips up. He lacks size but he’s likely got more skill than anyone the Flames will be able to target in a trade.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

lol... Scott Wilson also won the cup, how come nobody wants him?

but that’s not the issue, I have no problem with Rust. The issue is the guy want a lottery pick from a rebuilding team on top of it.

Does that make sense?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
lol... Scott Wilson also won the cup, how come nobody wants him?

but that’s not the issue, I have no problem with Rust. The issue is the guy want a lottery pick from a rebuilding team on top of it.

Does that make sense?

No. But there's two things: 1.) Slap the lottery protection tag on it and 2.) He didn't say which 1st in the first place.

So, basically, you all got crazy over just seeing a 1st.:scared:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
No. But there's two things: 1.) Slap the lottery protection tag on it and 2.) He didn't say which 1st in the first place.

So, basically, you all got crazy over just seeing a 1st.:scared:

I know which 1st the way the Flames is going....they should not trade it to build with rust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad