Rumor: Seravalli- 'Canucks were ready willing and eager to move Miller' where does he go this off-season if moved?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I don’t think that contract is that bad. He’s a 1st line player and not even 30 yet

Nobody should think that contract is that bad.

Not when there's guys like Horvat making 8.5 and Kadri signing 49 million dollar contracts at age 32.

Miller would be perfect for a win now team that has a 3-4 year window of being cup contenders.

Avs
Caps
Pens
Stars
Leafs
Bruins
Lightning

Miller is fresh, he was sparingly used in New York and Tampa. I believe he will have at least 3-4 more years of prime production. After that then who knows how much he dips, but the cap will go up and an 8mil player will be like a 5-6mil player in terms of percentage on the cap.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Management is already talking about playoffs next season… they traded the Islanders 1st plus our 2023 2nd round for Hronek… I just don’t see them moving Miller as he’s a great player, makes us much better and he’s a hard player to replace with everything he brings. I’d like to trade him because I don’t feel the Canucks are that close to winning, but I don’t see this management group trading him as it opens a massive hole in the line up.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Yeah and we'll take Seider for a 2nd. Hughes-Seider would be a sick pairing.
Seider isn't 29 and signed for @ 8 million for 7 more years on a rebuilding team lol. enjoy hronek with hughes (cant really play defense tho)

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Management is already talking about playoffs next season… they traded the Islanders 1st plus our 2023 2nd round for Hronek… I just don’t see them moving Miller as he’s a great player, makes us much better and he’s a hard player to replace with everything he brings. I’d like to trade him because I don’t feel the Canucks are that close to winning, but I don’t see this management group trading him as it opens a massive hole in the line up.

This is probably where the 2c return comes in.

If the Canucks can target someone like Hayton, or Kotkaniemi etc....then i think the Canucks will definitely be willing to move Miller.

If not then i think you're right, Miller is still a very good player and the Canucks will just keep him and look to build the rest of the roster another way.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Seider isn't 29 and signed for @ 8 million for 7 more years on a rebuilding team lol. enjoy hronek with hughes (cant really play defense tho)

Larkin will make 8.7 mil until he is 35 yr old on a rebuilding team.

What the difference?

and yes we will enjoy Hronek. who btw has better defensive numbers than Seider. Yeesh.. If you say Hronek cant play defense, then what does that say about big MO!

Goals Against- Hronek- 58
Seider- 94

CF% - Hronek - 49%
Seider- 46%

GF% - Hronek - 58%
Seider - 44%

• Haha
Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Vancouver wanting a roster player from the Pens would have killed the deal. The Pens needed to add Miller to the roster.

The other thing is it would be very poor taste for a team to sign a player to an extension and then trade him. Miller would have to be on board with coming to the Pens. Pittsburgh is basically his home town. Pens still have their 1st this coming draft.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Vancouver wanting a roster player from the Pens would have killed the deal. The Pens needed to add Miller to the roster.

The other thing is it would be very poor taste for a team to sign a player to an extension and then trade him. Miller would have to be on board with coming to the Pens. Pittsburgh is basically his home town. Pens still have their 1st this coming draft.

Miller was on board, thats where the whole "week to week injury" played in.

IMO he was actually sitting becuase of "trade related purposes" but the Canucks and Miller didnt want to call it that.

Then when the deal fell through with the Pens, Miller was miraculously healthy again and playing.

I think it was a really dumb move by Hextall to choose over the hill scrubs like Granlund , Kulikov , Bonino instead of Miller who is in his prime and will directly match the window that Crosby and Malking have left.

Reactions: Play

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Don't worry, Seider is young, he will get that kind of value eventually.

Yeah, we got the memo RD Hronek. Now we need another left handed D to complement left and right puck movers, not just right handed ones.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Miller was on board, thats where the whole "week to week injury" played in.

IMO he was actually sitting becuase of "trade related purposes" but the Canucks and Miller didnt want to call it that.

Then when the deal fell through with the Pens, Miller was miraculously healthy again and playing.

I think it was a really dumb move by Hextall to choose over the hill scrubs like Granlund , Kulikov , Bonino instead of Miller who is in his prime and will directly match the window that Crosby and Malking have left.
There is no way to know how the conversation unfolded and if the Pens kicked the tires and didn’t like the cost for whatever reason. Especially if Vancouver wanted a roster player, then the Pens need to plug another hole.
My hunch for a draft day offer would be 1st + Granlund.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
IMG_20230307_150608.jpg

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
There is no way to know how the conversation unfolded and if the Pens kicked the tires and didn’t like the cost for whatever reason. Especially if Vancouver wanted a roster player, then the Pens need to plug another hole.
You're a first short of the reported price, and Granlund would have to be about 8-10 years younger, and would probably have to be cheaper.

No, seriously, this same guy reporting this was saying the cost was two firsts and a young center.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Larkin will make 8.7 mil until he is 35 yr old on a rebuilding team.

What the difference?
Is that a serious question? Does Detroit look like a team that's twisting in the wind in terms of how they're trending?

When Larkin is Miller's age, Detroit will likely have a competitive roster. How many years will it take for Vancouver to build a roster that many will consider a contender. How old will Miller be then?

There's a difference.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

I dont think it will be Granlund. Canucks are flushed with wingers. and Granlund quite frankly is not good.

I think it will be something like

Miller, Rathbone, 4th

for

Pettersson, 1st, 3rd

Nov 1, 2011
Why even sign the man in the first place, forcing your captain outta town in the process? What a mess.

Kept the better player on a better contract.

There aren't too many people who would disagree with that.

The only thing some Canucks fans say is that Miller is the wrong age profile for a team that should be doing a tear down rebuild (I say that).

That being said, it's clear the team won't do a tear down rebuild.

Nov 1, 2011

It'll be Petterson+ 2 x 1sts and VAN will turn it down because we refuse to rebuild...instead, Vancouver will trade their 2024 1st for Petterson.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
You're a first short of the reported price, and Granlund would have to be about 8-10 years younger, and would probably have to be cheaper.

No, seriously, this same guy reporting this was saying the cost was two firsts and a young center.
The Pens aren’t the team if your GM is asking for the moon. There is no center to give.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I don’t think that contract is that bad. He’s a 1st line player and not even 30 yet
He’s 30 in less than a week. I think we can go ahead and say he’s 30. Either way he’s signed until he’s 37 has a NMC for the duration plus a M-NTC for the last 3 seasons. Personality issues aside he’s probably worth his AAV. But for how long?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Why even sign the man in the first place, forcing your captain outta town in the process? What a mess.

Miller the more superior player.

If you're the management team that wants to win now who would you keep?

Miller- 273 pts in 266 games @ 8mil per year
Horvat - 198 pts in 244 games ( last 4 season w. the Canucks) @ 8.5 mil per year

It wasnt one or the other either. Canucks offered Horvat a contract after the Miller extension. The contract offer was probably at most around 7mil and deservingly lower than Millers Horvat rejected it and went for the money ( good for him) so Canucks moved on and traded him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad