#Senswatch

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
This team needs to be done with missing the playoffs. And the drafting needs to get to the point where they get good players out of late firsts.

Reactions: McMetal

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Imagine if we end with two top5 picks. That would be mental.
I wouldn't like that (unless the Avs acquire that 2nd pick in another trade) . Chances are we already have all key players on the team or hopeful to make the team within 13 months or (unknowingly) waiting to get traded to the team in this season. Let Sakic take care of the remaining parts of the rebuild and let the team improve and rise in the standings.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Worst case scenario this season is two top 10 picks in a deep draft with a very solid top 10 of prospects. That's not so bad. I think with two top prospects from the '19 draft the Avs will be ready to compete for the Cup yearly.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Worst case scenario this season is two top 10 picks in a deep draft with a very solid top 10 of prospects. That's not so bad. I think with two top prospects from the '19 draft the Avs will be ready to compete for the Cup yearly.

Worst case scenario is the Avs are a bubble team that misses out, Ottawa manages to climb out of the bottom ten, and we end up with two picks in the 11-15 range.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Worst case scenario is the Avs are a bubble team that misses out, Ottawa manages to climb out of the bottom ten, and we end up with two picks in the 11-15 range.

I can't see that realistically happening. Too many unlikely things. Ottawa being far better than expected, Avs being just in the bad zone for the draft and the season (bubble).

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I can't see that realistically happening. Too many unlikely things. Ottawa being far better than expected, Avs being just in the bad zone for the draft and the season (bubble).

Oh, I don't either. Ottawa is a bottom ten team, IMO. But it's still worst case scenario.

I think the most likely scenario is a top 5-10 pick and a pick 11-15. Something similar to the Landeskog draft.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I want the 1st and last pick of the first round of the 2019 draft.
Has that every happened before?

I tried to google it but couldn't find anything....so I'm assuming it was either a loooooonnng time ago or hasn't happened.

Did find this really cool article on the 03 draft though: The 2003 Draft: One for the Ages
It's an article about the ducks primarily but....

Fifteen years later, almost half of the players selected in the first round of that draft are still active in the NHL and have made major impacts on the teams that took them. Every pick played at least a game in the NHL and 22 of the 30 have played at least 500. All but nine selected in the second round also reached the NHL. Including Getzlaf and Perry, a staggering 28 players were named an NHL All-Star at least once in their careers (17 from the first round alone).
Oh...the AVs pick that year:
1st - Traded two years earlier for Rob Blake
2nd - David Liffiton
3rd - Traded at some point
4th - David Svagrovsky
5th - Mark McCutcheon
5th - Brad Richardson
7th - Linus Videll
7th - Brett Hemingway
8th - Darryl Jacboski
9th - David Jones

Last edited:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Has that every happened before?

I tried to google it but couldn't find anything....so I'm assuming it was either a loooooonnng time ago or hasn't happened.

Did find this really cool article on the 03 draft though: The 2003 Draft: One for the Ages
It's an article about the ducks primarily but....

Fifteen years later, almost half of the players selected in the first round of that draft are still active in the NHL and have made major impacts on the teams that took them. Every pick played at least a game in the NHL and 22 of the 30 have played at least 500. All but nine selected in the second round also reached the NHL. Including Getzlaf and Perry, a staggering 28 players were named an NHL All-Star at least once in their careers (17 from the first round alone).​

The 03' draft is probably the top draft of all time. Huge amounts of NHL quality in the first round and beyond. Other contenders are '79 and '84. 90' and 91' were quite good, giving us Jagr, Forsberg, Niedermayer and a bunch of players throughout. These drafts were followed by a long drought until '03 in terms of draft depth. '13 and '15 (and maybe '19) are future contenders, indicating a real uptick in current player quality and development in NA and European leagues.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The 03' draft is probably the top draft of all time. Huge amounts of NHL quality in the first round and beyond. Other contenders are '79 and '84. 90' and 91' were quite good, giving us Jagr, Forsberg, Niedermayer and a bunch of players throughout. These drafts were followed by a long drought until '03 in terms of draft depth. '13 and '15 (and maybe '19) are future contenders, indicating a real uptick in current player quality and development in NA and European leagues.

2015' first round could become the best of all time.

Potential 1st liners or 1st pairing dmen: McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski, Rantanen, Barzal, Chabot, Boeser, Beauvillier.

That's just insane.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
This article shows how much Melnyk fiddles around with the team, god damn that sounds like a toxic work environment:

Former Ottawa Senators executive sues Melnyk, team for $1.55M; alleges discord behind the scenes

Very interesting read. If even half of the accusations are true, that organization is even worse than I thought - and I already had a very low opinion of things there. Man, no matter how bad you think things will get in Ottawa, they seem to just keep getting worse and worse. I wonder what will happen next?

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Oh, I don't either. Ottawa is a bottom ten team, IMO. But it's still worst case scenario.

I think the most likely scenario is a top 5-10 pick and a pick 11-15. Something similar to the Landeskog draft.
Why 5-15 for Ottawa's pick I think it's more like 1-10 for Ottawa's pick and 12-17 for our pick. Just my opinion but I think that Ottawa is a bottom 3 team so I think there pick will be at the least top 6.

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd be perfectly ok with pick #2 and pick #16 in this years draft.

#2 - Kaapo Kakko
#16 - Vasili Podkolzin

Or, if Podkolzin doesn't fall like I think he might, snag Newhook at #16.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
I hope #2 Kakko and #16 Suzuki or Lavoie. And with second round a good LHD like Brinkman or Vukojevic.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Why 5-15 for Ottawa's pick I think it's more like 1-10 for Ottawa's pick and 12-17 for our pick. Just my opinion but I think that Ottawa is a bottom 3 team so I think there pick will be at the least top 6.

5-15? I said 5-10. I really do think Ottawa will end a bottom three/four team. I just have a feeling the lottery will continue to screw us.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
First 3 picks are lottery picks so who knows who will get them (see AVS 2017). It's pretty unreasonable to believe that you'll win the lottery.

Expecting 4-10 seems correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1