Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
arrested-development-vulture-3.png

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Everyone here should know that is a possibility. It hasn't been that long since our last season..
What I'm not seeing out of the Sens is the roster improvements that Sakic made last off season gettin rid of the dross on the roster.

However Ottawa has one method of improving the team that the Avs used last year... trading Matt Duchene.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
This place is gonna be real entertaining when the Sens actually end up being not that bad.

I know that I like to play the Devil's advocate but how many people here have thought about the possibility that the Sens pick could end up being worse than the AVS'?

People are way too quick to assume that they will be a bottom team.

1- All their star players are on a contract year
2- They get to play shit teams in division like MTL, BUF and DET.
3- Their locker room should be fixed now (and that's HUGE)
4- Add premium rookies like Chabot, Tkachuk, White, Brown...and all of them should be hungry.

G and D are questionable but who knows what will happen. If they start winning Dorion might start trading to fix that, especially with no 1st rounder in sight.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Sure the Sens could be better, but in a division that already includes Toronto, Boston, and Tampa...

The absolute best case scenario for that team is going to be a Wild Card playoff birth and a quick exit in the playoffs. If that happens we're gonna be looking at a ~16-19 ranged 1st rounder. That's still an awesome chance to add an extremely talented player to our prospect pool. And considering the Avs likely best case scenario is something similar, it means we're adding at least 2 Top 20 picks in the 1st round of next years draft at worst.

There's a real possibility both teams miss the playoffs and we have Two Top 15 picks, two chances at the lottery and two high, high end prospects being added to the future of this team.

There's no losing in this situation for us. There's only winning, and winning the lottery(Literally).

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm just ridiculously excited for this season to start.

Nevermind the hype around the Avs themselves and the excitement I have for watching our team next season. But on top of that we have an entirely different level of reasoning to tune into even more games this year that could have major impact on our teams future.

Less then a month until Pre-Season action kicks off. Time cannot go fast enough right now, this season just needs to start already so we can watch how it all plays out.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
What I'm not seeing out of the Sens is the roster improvements that Sakic made last off season gettin rid of the dross on the roster.

However Ottawa has one method of improving the team that the Avs used last year... trading Matt Duchene.
If Ottawa becomes stubborn (which I could totally see happening) doesn't trade Stone, Duchene and Karlsson and if they all have great years I feel like that alone would get them out of the bottom 5, maybe 10.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I'm expecting 8-15 range from the Sens. Top 10 and I'm over the moon.

AVS' pick don't need to be in the top 15, we've been there enough.

Holding on to our playoff spot is gonna be tough though. On paper we didn’t get any better and other teams got much better especially St. Louis. The teams success is going to depend on the growth of the young players, Jost and Girard especially, and the continuing play of Nate.

St. Louis is going to make the playoffs so the question is who do they displace? Very well could be us. Minnesota is a likely candidate as well imo.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Of course there's a chance that Ottawa rebounds. Lots of things could go right for them that went wrong last year. Either way, we've already won the trade, this is the juicy cherry on top. Hockey is a weird sport, a team can always surprise you

Still though, the realistic best case for that team on paper IMO is 6-8 from the bottom. They just don't have the talent to do much better. Outside of Duchene, Stone, and Karlsson there is very little high end talent on the team. The rest is a collection of good to OK, with a putrid defense and questionable goaltending at best. I could be wrong, but I'm sticking to that prediction.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Holding on to our playoff spot is gonna be tough though. On paper we didn’t get any better and other teams got much better especially St. Louis. The teams success is going to depend on the growth of the young players, Jost and Girard especially, and the continuing play of Nate.

St. Louis is going to make the playoffs so the question is who do they displace? Very well could be us. Minnesota is a likely candidate as well imo.

STL and CGY got better, Dallas underachieved big time and can only go up with that roster. That's 3 teams that barely missed the playoffs last year and could easily get in this year. So yeah, I agree that it's going to be very difficult to repeat with that roster. Mack will have to have another Hart worthy season while Jost, Compher and Kerfoot will have to start scoring a lot of goals. Tough.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah I'm expecting the pick to land 6-10 pre-lottery. 11-15 range would be unfortunate but still a good player for us.

1-5 would be a dream and a legit chance to create a cup contending team from that pick in the very near future.

Avs own pick will be a wild card as well. We got into the playoffs last year on the last game of the season. Very possibly things dont quite go our way this year and all of a sudden we have another pick in the 9-13 range as well. It would suck to miss playoffs again but getting a pair of Top 10 quality talents out of this years draft would not suck at all.

Something like Cozens/Podkolzin with Ottawa's pick at ~5/6 overall and then grabbing one of the best Dmen in the draft with our pick around 12-13.

That's a way to set this franchise up for a decade of dominance very soon despite the disappointment associated with missing the playoffs this season.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I am trying my best to prepare myself for a slightly downgraded season in 2018-19. Hope it doesn't happen, but they were the very last team to make the postseason and they made it by a mere point. And I also don't think any of the teams in the Central took a giant step back, in fact the team the Avs beat to make the playoffs upgraded this offseason. Gonna be a tough haul and a lot will still have to go right.

As for the Sens, you never know, stranger things have happened, but this is more or less the same team that was literally one goal away from the 2017 Stanley Cup Final. Duchene will be working very hard to change the narrative surrounding his performance in clutch situations. Regardless of where those picks land it'll be up to Hepple, Sakic, and their team to turn them into building blocks. The worst thing they could do is trade either pick away. Just hold onto 'em and use them.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If Ottawa becomes stubborn (which I could totally see happening) doesn't trade Stone, Duchene and Karlsson and if they all have great years I feel like that alone would get them out of the bottom 5, maybe 10.

I actually believe the Sens keeping their UFAs keeps them in playoff contention, but avoids further erosion of their fan base. Melnyk is also trying to squeeze the city for $$$ on a downtown stadium. If the players should leave, he’ll just accuse them of being greedy.

Nothing surprises me with the Sens, this includes keeping their 2018 Pick. I believe the 2019 - Top 10 is equal to 2018-Top 5. Getting another 1st pick is fantastic, but having good scouting assures the AVs will get a fine player wherever the position of pick.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
To me...Duchene, Karlsson and Stone are a piece of the puzzle for them, but I think goaltending and defensive depth are going to be the biggest thing for them. If Anderson and the D hold up there's no reason they can't make the playoffs but if they can't keep the puck out of the net then I'm not sure the offense can make up for that and it will likely be a long year for the Sens. It's hard to say but I'm almost leaning towards Anderson having a bad year, we know how he is when he wants off a team.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
That Duchene-chemistry curse, though...
OMG how have I never realized this was a thing.

Flash- walks at season’s end.

Mueller- Killed by Rob Blake

PAPAPAPAP- Roy puts pppy with Mcping and Mackinnon to start the year which PAP gets pissed about and finds the dog house right away.

ROR- Roy forces Iginla to play with Dutchy and ROR for the start of the season and Iginla couldn’t receive a pass or really do much of anything for the entire month of October. Roy breaks them up and puts ROR with Mack and Landy for the rest of the season until ROR gets traded at season’s end.

Hoffman- Psychopath fiancé.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
To me...Duchene, Karlsson and Stone are a piece of the puzzle for them, but I think goaltending and defensive depth are going to be the biggest thing for them. If Anderson and the D hold up there's no reason they can't make the playoffs but if they can't keep the puck out of the net then I'm not sure the offense can make up for that and it will likely be a long year for the Sens. It's hard to say but I'm almost leaning towards Anderson having a bad year, we know how he is when he wants off a team.
They have to trade all 3 of those guys or they walk for nothing , no way Ottawa can let that happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad