#Senswatch

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Not necessarily , come next June Hughes might not be no.1
Eh... Doubtful, he's the only one in the class with a truly elite ceiling. There's a lot of great talent in the top 10 but nobody has the potential to really overtake him.

Either way, even if we don't get Hughes and just end up with Lavoie or somebody of that level I'll be happy as can be.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Not necessarily , come next June Hughes might not be no.1

Hughes will be the 1st pick.

The only issue is size and if he gain a few more lbs, this would make the selection even more easy. I can't forsee any team choosing another player unless he suffers a serious injury.

Nonetheless, any of the Top 10 prospects would be outstanding selections. Hughes would be a huge asset, not getting him would still bring a fantastic player to the AVs. I'm glad the Sens kept their 2018 selection, I honestly believe the Top 10 choices are better than Tkachuk.

Reactions: New Scotlander

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If Hughes doesn't go #1 OA next year something terrible will have happened to Jack. He's the Dahlin/McDavis of this draft. Far and away the obvious #1 pick.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
The longer the Sens hold onto EK, Stone, and Duchene the lower their trade value goes. We're going to find out how badly Melynk and Dorion want to mitigate their public appearance from a lopsided Duchene trade.

My predications:

EK is a Duchene situation, he shows up in October and it's super awkward. He gets traded in November/December.
Sens hold onto Stone until the deadline and trade him for a pure rental price (low 1st + B prospect).
Duchene extends for a modest raise and we're all scratching our heads about him wanting to play playoff hockey.

It will be fun to have two teams to watch on a nightly basis this year. Honestly, I'm just happy we're getting another first and it wasn't Nashville's first.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
NHL-FNW-OTT-512x512_0.jpg

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Eh... Doubtful, he's the only one in the class with a truly elite ceiling. There's a lot of great talent in the top 10 but nobody has the potential to really overtake him.

Either way, even if we don't get Hughes and just end up with Lavoie or somebody of that level I'll be happy as can be.
Well some scouts have said Kaako is better than Laine at the same age and some worry a no Hughes size and 2way play to be a center while Turcotte gets rave reviews for his 200 game . Time will tell but I don't think it's impossible for Hughes to fall from #1 . He's so tiny but so is his brother. Very talented kids though

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I love how assured you always are...you must be amazing at sports betting :sarcasm:
Well anything can happen but I can't forsee them being better than 3 teams in their division. There is no way they can hold onto all 3 of Stone , Duchene and Karlsson who is definitely not signing in Ottawa. Their goaltending is bad defense bad and inexperienced and a superstar wanting out has to affect the locker room . Poor roster overall . Even if they are magically clinging to a wildcard soot they still have to move those players.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Well some scouts have said Kaako is better than Laine at the same age and some worry a no Hughes size and 2way play to be a center while Turcotte gets rave reviews for his 200 game . Time will tell but I don't think it's impossible for Hughes to fall from #1 . He's so tiny but so is his brother. Very talented kids though
If you actually watch him though, you can see that his size won't hold him back. His skating, stickhandling, and vision is elite, and I don't use that word lightly. And 5'10 isn't "tiny" compared to guys like Debrincat, Gaudreau, and Tyler Johnson. He's the same size as Patrick Kane.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Yeah, they said the same things about Crosby and Karlsson too, hell they said those things about Gretzky. Doesn't matter--he will be going first overall unless he skates to center ice and sets a bag full of live kittens on fire. And even then he'd have to have a poor year production-wise.

And you're forgetting this is a league that overvalues centers to an insane degree--no way, no how is a winger going first overall in a draft this full of talented pivots. They may come to regret that decision later, but that's not how it's going to play out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Jack Hughes is the best center prospect since McDavid (arguably best prospect overall since)... any team that passes on him would be a fool. Simply not gonna happen outside of a career threatening injury. There are other great prospects in the draft, but Cozens, Kakko, Turcotte, Krebs, etc are decidedly a level behind.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

NHL's season preview of the Sens. Not much in there we haven't already discussed at length, but neither of them sees playoffs.

Reactions: Patagonia

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If anything I've heard it's Hughes by a mile and then there's not a ton of difference between picks 2-8.

Dont think that's accurate either

Hughes is a tier above everyone else, but Kakko and Turcotte are decidedly in a tier by themselves right now as well at 2 and 3. Turcotte has elite 1C upside like Hughes does.

There's more potential for a few guys to jump up into that tier with Kakko and Turcotte but I think its safe to say at least right now they're in a tier by themselves and the consensus 2nd and 3rd best players in the draft. With Newhook/Cozens/Byram/Podkolzin/Krebs/Dach in the next tier below.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
If you actually watch him though, you can see that his size won't hold him back. His skating, stickhandling, and vision is elite, and I don't use that word lightly. And 5'10 isn't "tiny" compared to guys like Debrincat, Gaudreau, and Tyler Johnson. He's the same size as Patrick Kane.
Oh I'm not disputing he's #1 just pointing out what some scouts have said. He has a really small frame , not much place to put on weight .
Patrick Kane was a center in junior and is now a winger.
If Kakko is Laine and Huges Kane I'm not sure it's as clear cut as everyone says.
For the record I had Quinn at #2 /#3 but he slipped to #7 for a reason . When u see him his shoulders are as wide as a 10 year old skinny girl.

And no Hughes isn't McDavid level . Patrick Kane is a good comparison

Last edited:
Reactions: Patagonia

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Dont think that's accurate either

Hughes is a tier above everyone else, but Kakko and Turcotte are decidedly in a tier by themselves right now as well at 2 and 3. Turcotte has elite 1C upside like Hughes does.

There's more potential for a few guys to jump up into that tier with Kakko and Turcotte but I think its safe to say at least right now they're in a tier by themselves and the consensus 2nd and 3rd best players in the draft. With Newhook/Cozens/Byram/Podkolzin/Krebs/Dach in the next tier below.

Good to know, to be honest it was Boomer and Alberga riffing on the draft on NHL Radio, they went so far as to say that the "worst" place to be in the 2019 draft was #2. They're good entertainment but prone to the occasional hot take.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hughes will be around 5'10"- 5'11" 185-190 when he is done developing... Obviously not even averaged sized, but when a player skates and has the skill level that Hughes does (and underrated 2 way game)... he's gonna be a center.

The Kane at center thing is becoming a mythology at this point. At London, Kane was almost exclusively a winger next to Gagner. Rarely was he a center in his draft year. In his -1 year he was split frequently between wing and center, but was mostly a wing still next to friend of the show Mike Carmen. His -2 year, he played mostly center.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Hughes will be around 5'10"- 5'11" 185-190 when he is done developing... Obviously not even averaged sized, but when a player skates and has the skill level that Hughes does (and underrated 2 way game)... he's gonna be a center.

The Kane at center thing is becoming a mythology at this point. At London, Kane was almost exclusively a winger next to Gagner. Rarely was he a center in his draft year. In his -1 year he was split frequently between wing and center, but was mostly a wing still next to friend of the show Mike Carmen. His -2 year, he played mostly center.

Maybe he will grow big and strong enough to man up and attend the combine. Turcotte isn't the biggest guy either but is solid.

Turcotte is heading to Wisconsin, it would have been nice for Huges to take on a bigger challenge instead of staying comfortable on the development team . Either way it's going to be exciting following these top guys this year with the hopes of landing 1 of them.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Maybe he will grow big and strong enough to man up and attend the combine. Turcotte isn't the biggest guy either but is solid.

Turcotte is heading to Wisconsin, it would have been nice for Huges to take on a bigger challenge instead of staying comfortable on the development team . Either way it's going to be exciting following these top guys this year with the hopes of landing 1 of them.

What an absurd comment...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad