#Senswatch Part III: A Night at the Opera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
So the comments on here are "its only October" what difference does that make? The Senators are playing well and confusing teams as well as using 7 defensemen. I can't see the comments about them finishing in the bottom 5 being true.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
So the comments on here are "its only October" what difference does that make? The Senators are playing well and confusing teams as well as using 7 defensemen. I can't see the comments about them finishing in the bottom 5 being true.

During the Avs horrible season 2 years ago they started the season like 9-11-1. So who knows how the whole season will go.

Reactions: Multigrain

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Their PDO is also really high.

I don't know how many times Sens fans can watch their team play like crap, win based on luck, and then get kicked in the ass when the PDO regression happens before they learn. It happens every single year.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Their PDO is also really high.

I don't know how many times Sens fans can watch their team play like crap, win based on luck, and then get kicked in the ass when the PDO regression happens before they learn. It happens every single year.
The thought is this year is different.
Watch
LaJoie
Chabot
DeMelo
The talent on defense will most likely be a surprise to the Avs.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
What worries me is that they're playing gutsy, uptempo hockey, and not folding when playing from behind. If they're really pulling together in the locker room, that's not really the kind of thing that goes away after a hot start. Anderson is the only thing that can hold them back now, and he's still been kind of weak but not as helpless as last season.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They seriously do remind me of the '09-10 Avs. Sort of a ragtag roster with some youth and speed, and Craig friggin' Anderson in net (and Matt Duchene up front). That Avs team rocketed out the gate in the first half and then stumbled horribly, but still managed to eke their way into the postseason. So the Avs didn't sustain it either but they did so long enough. They picked 17th in the 2010 draft that year. Not making a prediction, but crazier things have happened. My gut feeling is that they'll peter out a bit at the end and miss the playoffs, but there won't be some huge, epic collapse like what we witnessed last season.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
The problem is they are clearly not the worst team in the NHL either. Detroit, LA, Arizona, NYR, NYI even are all gonna be pretty bad. It really is too early to tell, at any point any team could lose a star player and that hurts this early into the season, losing streaks and winning streaks happen, trades happen. I'm fairly sure the sens will be a bottom 8-10 team, we've been screwed in the draft and other teams have done some pretty crazy jumps in the draft before, interesting to watch it all play out but we might need to teeter our expectations a tiny bit. On the bright side the Sens do seem to be clicking and despite thinking they'll be pretty bad this year they could be pretty competitive in a few years and Sens fans deserve better than what they've gotten from ownership.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The thought is this year is different.
Watch
LaJoie
Chabot
DeMelo
The talent on defense will most likely be a surprise to the Avs.

I dont even know if this is being serious. Chabot is the only one with talent in that group. Demelo is a bottom pairing Defender and Lajoie has a career high of what, 30 points in Junior and 15 in the AHL?

It's the play of that defense that is a near perfect example of why regression seems inevitable.

Reactions: Tommy G

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Well see how they handle adversity. When they have several losses in a row, whill bounce back or collapse? We’ve seen Avs teams do both. I could see it going either way, but it does seem like a team that, if they start to lose their grip on the season, it could get ugly in a hurry.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Sens in a few weeks

1g09zm7-jpg.148781

Attachments

• 1g09zm7.jpg
    1g09zm7.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 147

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Why do you think that?
Well I was gonna answer but everyone else seems to have stole my thunder and nailed it on the head. I think the better question is why do you think they won't regress? We see it year in and year out that the start of the season is not a good gauge of what teams will look like come the end of the season. It's just my opinion and I'm by no means an expert

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
There's also plenty of teams who got horribly outplayed and outshot and manage to keep it going for large parts of the season, we did it in 09/10, Sens did it two seasons ago even going as far as the ECC game #7, Penguins won the Cup that year being "out-possessed" on quite a few occasions, Flames made the playoffs in '15 despite being terrible in that area, we were bottom 5 last season etc. Just because they are punching above their weight doesn't mean they will stop doing that suddenly, they thrive on quick strike offense and generate quite a bit of scoring chances despite not putting a lot of shots on the net.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Who lifts the Cup for the Sens first? No captain currently. Serious question.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The way I look at it for the Sens is simple. It's a nice start for a team that was told they were going to be terrible.

I don't foresee them continuing on this pace for a couple reasons. First they've played a heavy home schedule. 5 games at home compared to 2 on the road. Second the underlying numbers on them so far, are not great. Stats would say that a couple of their wins they were fortunate to win. Third they have few guys that I'd say are overachieving at the moment. Namely Tierney, Demelo, Boedker, and Chabot ( I think he'll be a very good player, but he isn't a pts/game+ dman).

At the end of the day they aren't as bad as people were making them out to be. And honestly I never bought into the whole they are the worst in the league crap. But I still think over 82 games they miss the playoffs by at least 15pts. Too many good teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad