Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The thought is this year is different.
Watch
LaJoie
Chabot
DeMelo
The talent on defense will most likely be a surprise to the Avs.

To play Devil's Advocate, rookies sometimes hit the wall around the halfway mark. We'll see if it lasts (and that's entirely possible as Avs fans well know) but puck luck can get a team a long ways. Hell, this team is only two seasons removed from almost making the Cup Final. They've lost some very big pieces since then but I'm not convinced they're quite as bad as they look on paper.

Also, I think there are teams with worse rosters and far, far worse coaches that'll make up that bottom five.

Hot take alert: Stats may say otherwise but I think Craig Anderson is a better goalie than Freddy Andersen.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Sens are overachieving right now, but there is also a vested interest here in the Sens being bad which is probably throwing a bias. My early season take is that the Sens are clearly not a bottom 3 roster and there are worse teams out there, they look like a team in that bottom 5-10 range to me. Simple luck of the draw could have a bottom 5 or bottom 3 situation happen even if they play well the whole year. They could also maintain a higher level of play and finish 18-22 quite easily... parity in the NHL is real.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Its gonna be wait and see. They could fall off like last year or they can keep playing well and be a bubble team. They obviously want to prove that they're not a big of a mess as people thought. It's going to be on Anderson and the rookies to keep it up. No matter what we still at least get a mid 1st, which is still good.

Another a similar note, Lajoie is great to watch, he looks legit.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
My early season take is that the Sens are clearly not a bottom 3 roster and there are worse teams out there

Their first PP unit (Duchene - Stone - White - Ryan - Chabot) looked scary good last Saturday. As long as they keep the offense intact they are going to win games.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The only actual roster in the NHL that I think is definitely worse then the Sens is Detroit.

After the Wings, there's a number of bad/below average teams that could really finish anywhere from 30th to as high as 18th really.

Ottawa falls into that category IMO. And they're joined by Montreal, New York(Both New Yorks), Vancouver, Arizona, Buffalo, Chicago, Florida, Los Angeles, and Anaheim.

A couple of the teams in that group will really bottom out due to injuries/locker room issues/whatever and end up in a dog fight with Detroit for 31st place. While a couple other teams will end up coming together for a solid year that results in either just barely missing playoffs or sneaking in like us last year.

I dont see Ottawa sneaking in because of the division they play in, but it's not completely impossible I guess. I do think they wind up in the 6-10 bracket though pre lottery and likely hand us over a pick that's inside the Top 10 but not inside the top 5. Unless they win the lottery.

And as Avs fans we should and will still be ecstatic to get a Top 10 player in this years draft. We're talking a guy like Cozens, Dach, or Podkolzin at this stage of the draft. A potential big 2C behind Mackinnon or a highly skilled winger.

And then hopefully our own pick winds up late teens early 20s and we can nab the best available player with that pick, whether it's a Forward, Winger, Defender, or even a Goalie. Just straight up BPA because at that point I think we'll have some tremendous prospect depth both offensively and defensively after taking say Cozens with the Ottawa 1st.

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
The only actual roster in the NHL that I think is definitely worse then the Sens is Detroit.

After the Wings, there's a number of bad/below average teams that could really finish anywhere from 30th to as high as 18th really.

Ottawa falls into that category IMO. And they're joined by Montreal, New York(Both New Yorks), Vancouver, Arizona, Buffalo, Chicago, Florida, Los Angeles, and Anaheim.

A couple of the teams in that group will really bottom out due to injuries/locker room issues/whatever and end up in a dog fight with Detroit for 31st place. While a couple other teams will end up coming together for a solid year that results in either just barely missing playoffs or sneaking in like us last year.

I dont see Ottawa sneaking in because of the division they play in, but it's not completely impossible I guess. I do think they wind up in the 6-10 bracket though pre lottery and likely hand us over a pick that's inside the Top 10 but not inside the top 5. Unless they win the lottery.

And as Avs fans we should and will still be ecstatic to get a Top 10 player in this years draft. We're talking a guy like Cozens, Dach, or Podkolzin at this stage of the draft. A potential big 2C behind Mackinnon or a highly skilled winger.

And then hopefully our own pick winds up late teens early 20s and we can nab the best available player with that pick, whether it's a Forward, Winger, Defender, or even a Goalie. Just straight up BPA because at that point I think we'll have some tremendous prospect depth both offensively and defensively after taking say Cozens with the Ottawa 1st.
I agree, I'm not trying to throw shade at Ottawa but it's my opinion that when every player in the NHL starts getting their feet under them the Sens will show there true colors. By that I mean they, either traded or lost due to injury 3 of there top 6 players on a team that was not good last year.

Reactions: RareDangles

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
WTF, another home game for the Senators? Seriously? Melnyk putting what little of his stashed cash to the scheduling department it looks like.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
LET'S DO IT!!!

(I mean, I won't be online [I never am] during the game, but this time it's because I'll be at a Psychostick concert)

YOU GUYS SHOULD DO IT!!!

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Highly doubt the mods would allow it, but I’m super down for rowdiness and infractions.

Let’s get it!

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Formenton has to be one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and on the flip side he has probably the worst set of hands in the NHL.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I still maintain this thread is a karma death punch to our chances of it being a top five pick.

I think even the South American kid playing ōllamalitzli who does not have TV or access to the internet knows we want the Sens pick to be high.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad