#Senswatch 8: Dawn of the Planet of the Gibbons

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Sens fan here. I hope Colorado ends up with the 1st or 2nd. I'd rather a west team get it then someone we have to play against often. In fact, I'm loading up on COL players in my playoff pool because I think it would be hilarious to see a Stanley Cup winner choose 1st overall.

One of two scenarios are going to happen:
1) If COL wins the lottery, their fans (along with every other teams) will load the front page with how bad the Duchene trade was.
2) If COL picks 4th overall, Sens fans will come here and chirp (excuse them in advance, but as some of your posters said, maybe just let them have that moment)

What needs to be kept in mind in all of this, is what the Senators actually traded for Duchene. We did not trade Hughes as part of the deal. We did not trade Kakko as part of the deal. We traded a lotto protected 1st rounder, that happened to turn into one of those players. The trade needs to be evaluated at the time, not in hindsight. If Ottawa gives up say a 10-15th 1st round pick last year, and flips Duchene to Columbus for a 15-20th 1st round pick this year, nobody really talks about it. That was the most likely scenario. I think Dorion is still a moron for gambling, as we were a bubble team, but hey that's a rant for another day.

The point is, you can't judge picks contained in a trade in hindsight. What if Tampa traded their 2nd rounder for a rental that ended up turning into Kucherov. They didn't all of a sudden trade Kuch for a rental lol.

Anyways, enjoy the playoffs, and I hope COL wins the draft lotto. It actually helps the Sens.

Last edited:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Sens fan here. I hope Colorado ends up with the 1st or 2nd. I'd rather a west team get it then someone we have to play against often. In fact, I'm loading up on COL players in my playoff pool because I think it would be hilarious to see a Stanley Cup winner choose 1st overall.

1) If COL wins the lottery, their fans (along with every other teams) will load the front page with how bad the Duchene trade was.
2) If COL picks 4th overall, Sens fans will come here and chirp (excuse them in advance, but as some of your posters said, maybe just let them have that moment)

What needs to be kept in mind in all of this, is what the Senators actually traded for Duchene. We did not trade Hughes as part of the deal. We did not trade Kakko as part of the deal. We traded a lotto protected 1st rounder, that happened to turn into one of those players. The trade needs to be evaluated at the time, not in hindsight. If Ottawa gives up say a 10-15th 1st round pick last year, and flips Duchene to Columbus for a 15-20th 1st round pick this year, nobody really talks about it. That was the most likely scenario. I think Dorion is still a moron for gambling, as we were a bubble team, but hey that's a rant for another day.

The point is, you can't judge picks contained in a trade in hindsight. What if Tampa traded their 2nd rounder for a rental that ended up turning into Kucherov. They didn't all of a sudden trade Kuch for a rental lol.

Anyways, enjoy the playoffs, and I hope COL wins the draft lotto. It actually helps the Sens.

For sure man. I can't even blame Dorion for keeping the 2018 4th OA even if we end up with Hughes or Kakko. You make the best decision with what you've got and know at the time. I think the Duchene trade was a bit of an overpayment from the beginning but you guys were one goal away from the SC finals and grabbed the top center you'd been eyeing for a while. It's been crazy lucky for the Avs since those two teams came back from Sweden.

For the record I don't think you'll see a bunch of Avs fans starting threads on the mainboards. We've got some extemeist like any other fanbase but most of us try to keep it on our boards.

Reactions: MacBradley

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Honestly, I like Byram, Turcotte and Cozens more than Tkachuk or Zadina at this point.

It'll be interesting to follow their development for sure but right now I think I'd have to go with Tkachuk. What he's already doing at the NHL level is really impressive. I liked Zadina more and a few analysts questioning Tkachuk's offensive upside, especially early on, pushed me further in that direction but those questions have gone away pretty quickly. I still believe the Sens made a big mistake if the Avs get #1 or #2 but if not, they might end up looking okay for taking Tkachuk last year.

Reactions: McMetal

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

One thing you can fault Dorion is abdicating any involvement in the third party of the trade.

Anyway Turris, a 3rd and what amounts to two late 1sts would have been over payment by a 1st.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Honestly, I like Byram, Turcotte and Cozens more than Tkachuk or Zadina at this point.

Tkachuk is having a phenomenal rookie year as an 18 yo despite playing in the worst team and not having a good C to play with. He has size, grit, can score goals, can drive his line, can fight... pretty much exactly what we need. It's going to be really hard to get better player than him if we don't pick top 2.

He'll be Ottawa's next captain IMO. Very similar to what Landy did here.

Reactions: McMetal

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Tkachuk is having a phenomenal rookie year as an 18 yo despite playing in the worst team and not having a good C to play with. He has size, grit, can score goals, can drive his line, can fight... pretty much exactly what we need. It's going to be really hard to get better player than him if we don't pick top 2.

He'll be Ottawa's next captain IMO. Very similar to what Landy did here.
Yah, but he's a Tkachuk. I wouldn't want one of them on our team anyway.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

The fact that your team is still playing their hearts out every night despite not having a lot of talent is a hopeful sign, and will serve them well down the line if you can only get rid of Melnyk.

And yeah, we all valued the 1st from the Duchene deal as a ~20th overall pick at the time of the deal, assuming Duchene was going to put them over the top. I think Dorion's big mistake wasn't the first he included, but moving Turris to get Duchene. Adding Duchene to Turris would have given you some pretty hard core center depth, but including Bowers (a late 1st) and another 1st to upgrade from Turris to Duchene wasn't a good move value wise.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
The draft lottery is a week from today. Crazy that we're finally at the end of all this.
Dude I got this.
tenor.gif

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The fact that your team is still playing their hearts out every night despite not having a lot of talent is a hopeful sign, and will serve them well down the line if you can only get rid of Melnyk.

And yeah, we all valued the 1st from the Duchene deal as a ~20th overall pick at the time of the deal, assuming Duchene was going to put them over the top. I think Dorion's big mistake wasn't the first he included, but moving Turris to get Duchene. Adding Duchene to Turris would have given you some pretty hard core center depth, but including Bowers (a late 1st) and another 1st to upgrade from Turris to Duchene wasn't a good move value wise.

Sens decision to not move Turris separately is puzzling.

Spanky - Wondering.gif

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The draft lottery is a week from today. Crazy that we're finally at the end of all this.

Just ran the sim 10 times and only got 1st twice. Did get 2nd three times though, which wouldn't be bad.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Im just happy we're getting a top 5 pick, cause honestly none of these kids standout that hardcore to me for me to be like omg we need that top pick arrrgh! This feels more like a Hischier draft.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
I ran the simulation eight times. Vancouver got the first pick eight times and we got the second pick eight times. Now that is strange.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad