Weekes: Sens working to extend DeBrincat

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
A player in DeBrincat's position will want long term security. He's a 40 goal guy IN his prime, bridges aren't going to happen

he is not yet in his prime
he is only 24 - he is still learning
improving his game

when he hits his prime
he will be something completely
different & better what "just" 40 goal guy

Reactions: dpospish

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I have no idea why DeBrincat would extend.

He's guaranteed $15.3M over the next two seasons and will hit UFA right as the cap significantly increases.

I see no reason why he wouldn't accept the $9M QO next year and walk straight to UFA.

My guy is 5’7 170. Guaranteed 70+ million in the bank is pretty nice when you’re one cheap shot away from career altering injury.

I get that there are potential benefits to betting on yourself but the security of a guaranteed contract in the NHL is a huge plus for a young father.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
lol i don’t think you know what you are talking about. The franchise has never been more stable since his passing.

Have you been living under a rock for the past 5 years and missed what this franchise has gone through in that time?

"the franchise has never been more stable" does not mean it's stable compared to other franchises...

It could be sold in the near future. Arena plans could fall through or face delays. There is still a lot more uncertainty there than with most franchises if you're committing for 8 years. Not saying DeBrincat won't sign, I just don't see how stability is a draw.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
he is not yet in his prime
he is only 24 - he is still learning
improving his game

when he hits his prime
he will be something completely
different & better what "just" 40 goal guy
I've always used 25-27 as the "prime" years, and he's a few weeks away from 25. Sure there's room to improve, but thinking it's going to be exponential at this point would be wishful thinking.

Regardless, he's a stud and will likely end up with the richest contract in Senators history.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Thank you. People are acting like he's Cory Conacher playing with Stamkos.
Soon the narrative will be "he can't do it without Stutzle." :laugh:

Eventually, you just have to give a person their due. The guy is an elite talent and produces like it.

Reactions: Bileur

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I've always used 25-27 as the "prime" years, and he's a few weeks away from 25. Sure there's room to improve, but thinking it's going to be exponential at this point would be wishful thinking.

Regardless, he's a stud and will likely end up with the richest contract in Senators history.
Not wishfull thinking.

For example, Kaner hit prime 29-30.

His goal, point totals are about to sky rocket, one big factor is that he switced to east from west, we all know its easier to score in the east what in the west.

Also, Brinksy is a 2 time 40 goal scorer for a team like Hawks playing with just 1 star player, imagine how much more he produces for Ottawa, where he gets the chance to play with multiple stars.

Also, like i said, he is still improving.

In every off season and elsewhere, Brinksy has always said, he is still learnimg, improving his game, said it this year.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
"the franchise has never been more stable" does not mean it's stable compared to other franchises...

It could be sold in the near future. Arena plans could fall through or face delays. There is still a lot more uncertainty there than with most franchises if you're committing for 8 years. Not saying DeBrincat won't sign, I just don't see how stability is a draw.
Yep they’ve started their arena plans, Toronto’s only 2 years newer, so guess they’ll be starting arena plans soon as well. The draw is playing with some great young players.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Not wishfull thinking.

His goal, point totals are about to sky rocket, one big factor is that he switced to east from west, we all know its easier to score in the east what in the west.

Also, Brinksy is a 2 time 40 goal scorer for a team like Hawks playing with just 1 star player, imagine how much more he produces for Ottawa, where he gets the chance to play with multiple stars.

In every off season and elsewhere, Brinksy has always said, he is still learnimg, improving his game, said it this year.
How was Kane's performance better at 29-30? He didn't fall off after 27, but relative to the rest of the league his numbers were better between 25-27. Only Crosby had a higher PPG between 2013/14 to 2015/16. 2017-2019 Kane was putting up the same numbers but just barely cracking top 10 in the league.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not wishfull thinking.

DeBrincat might have the highest scoring rates of his career but pay attention to the minutes. He was already playing full minutes in Chicago and minutes might be a little more spread in Ottawa. You've got like 7 or 8 guys that look like they should be on PP1.

Reactions: Altimus

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I mean yeah, i'd assume they're probably trying to work on getting a contract extension done. They paid a pretty penny to acquire him, and presumably did so anticipating he'd be a part of their team's core for a lot of years to come.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Tricky deal to get done...Ottawa does need to keep money for other players like Pinto and Sanderson Zub etc....Guess we will wait and see

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Extended Norris for 8 years, Tkachuk for 8 years, Chabot for 8 years, Batherson for 5 years, Stutzle for 8 years.

Dumb comment is dumb.
You're right. Dumb comment IS dumb. Are any of those players FA's which they have attracted? They're all home grown talent that didnt have much choice or say otherwise lol.

To say the team is desirable to play for because guys coming off ELC's re-signed? LMAO

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
You're right. Dumb comment IS dumb. Are any of those players FA's which they have attracted? They're all home grown talent that didnt have much choice or say otherwise lol.

To say the team is desirable to play for because guys coming off ELC's re-signed? LMAO
It's more desirable now with the roster they have. Rumor's of Debrincat signing long term and the Giroux signing.

Even though they're all home grown talent they can choose to sign shorter contracts and get the hell out of dodge earlier.

Don't see the point of your post.

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
It's more desirable now with the roster they have. Rumor's of Debrincat signing long term and the Giroux signing.

Even though they're all home grown talent they can choose to sign shorter contracts and get the hell out of dodge earlier.

Don't see the point of your post.
Not to mention Debrincat is an RFA like them as well.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This is a really, really risky one. You sure you want to do that without seeing him away from Kane?

Ottawa has multiple high end centers they can put him with. While he may see a decrease in production (both from being away from Kane and due to OTTs depth), he's still a young top line player.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
when i first read it, i thought they meant making him taller. now i understand but still think they'd succeed more if they made him taller

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Yet there are many clear examples of past RFAs signing short term deals to bolt out like Mark Stone.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Go back and cry about Matthews , Marner, Nylander not signing for 8 years then.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Giroux was. Holden renewed his contract.

But, we get it. The big smoke (aka Toronto) is the center of the hockey universe and all players desire to play for them, not some backwater town like Ottawa. LOL.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Go back and cry about Matthews , Marner, Nylander not signing for 8 years then.
Not sure what the point of this was? But ok thanks will do.

Giroux was. Holden renewed his contract.

But, we get it. The big smoke (aka Toronto) is the center of the hockey universe and all players desire to play for them, not some backwater town like Ottawa.
LOL.
Wow so big, a guy at the end of his career who is breaking down and some random - such talent attracted!!

Say what you want about the leafs but they have shown time and time again that players want to play for them.

• Love
Reactions: ColbyChaos

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Ottawa is smart to lock up its young core now rather than have to do what the Leafs will have to do with Matthews and Marner. And having a slow declining second line center making $11 million for the next 3 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad