Weekes: Sens working to extend DeBrincat

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Not sure what the point of this was? But ok thanks will do.

Wow so big, a guy at the end of his career who is breaking down and some random - such talent attracted!!

Say what you want about the leafs but they have shown time and time again that players want to play for them.
Notable free agents like Victor Mete and Jordie Benn?

Reactions: bert

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
Not sure what the point of this was? But ok thanks will do.

Wow so big, a guy at the end of his career who is breaking down and some random - such talent attracted!!

Say what you want about the leafs but they have shown time and time again that players want to play for them.
Yeah, Spezza, Simmonds, Thornton, Marleau...

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
You're right. Dumb comment IS dumb. Are any of those players FA's which they have attracted? They're all home grown talent that didnt have much choice or say otherwise lol.

To say the team is desirable to play for because guys coming off ELC's re-signed? LMAO
To 8 year extensions. They didn't Matthew Tkachuk us, they wanted to sign long term. Again...dumb stuff man, come on.

Reactions: bert

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
It's more desirable now with the roster they have. Rumor's of Debrincat signing long term and the Giroux signing.

Even though they're all home grown talent they can choose to sign shorter contracts and get the hell out of dodge earlier.

Don't see the point of your post.

Point to those rumors
Ottawa is smart to lock up its young core now rather than have to do what the Leafs will have to do with Matthews and Marner. And having a slow declining second line center making $11 million for the next 3 seasons.
Tavares has scored more points this past season than any player on the Sens have for the last 6 years. And never even had a player score 80 or more points since EK65

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
You're right. Dumb comment IS dumb. Are any of those players FA's which they have attracted? They're all home grown talent that didnt have much choice or say otherwise lol.

To say the team is desirable to play for because guys coming off ELC's re-signed? LMAO
Swings and roundabouts. Lots of UFAs have given Toronto a hometown discount for a shot at team success in the last few years, and during that there have been plenty of Ottawa players turn down contracts in their UFA years, even as recently as last year with Nick Paul.

Things change though. Batherson gave up 2 UFA years in his extension, Tkachuk gave up 3, Norris, Chabot and Stutzle all gave up 4. They had a choice to sign shorter term and didn't.

Players want to play for good teams and with other good players. High profile UFAs weren't exactly queueing out the door to sign with the Leafs after the 2015-16 season, but things were very different 2 years later with Matthews on deck. A lot can change in 2 seasons.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He is making 6.1 this season so a bump to 9 is only 2.9 against the cap....I would like to sign him long term but its gotta work for both parties

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Tavares is a good 2nd line centre making $11 million per. Enough said.
He would literally be the best center the sens would have right now for the past 5+ years and I hate Toronto and their rodent fans who infest every thread.

If you think a 70+pt player is only a 2nd line C you took too many hits to the head and need to see a dr. Meanwhile Norris and Shane 10 career games pinto are elite Cs amirite???

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
He would literally be the best center the sens would have right now for the past 5+ years and I hate Toronto and their rodent fans who infest every thread.

If you think a 70+pt player is only a 2nd line C you took too many hits to the head and need to see a dr. Meanwhile Norris and Shane 10 career games pinto are elite Cs amirite???

Norris had 35 goals and 55 pts in 66 games last year and is still improving.

11M Tavares had 27 goals lmao, he’s still better but not for long and he’s slow and overpaid.

Ottawa takes Norris and Stutzle over Tavares every single day of the week

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

11M Tavares had 27 goals lmao, he’s still better but not for long and he’s slow and overpaid.

Well by your own logic if if a high 70s-mid 80s pt C is only a second liner what does that make Norris and Stützle? 3rd/4th liners?😂🤡🤡🤡🤡

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Well by your own logic if if a high 70s-mid 80s pt C is only a second liner what does that make Norris and Stützle? 3rd/4th liners?😂🤡🤡🤡🤡

Actually by your own logic it would make them way more than that since they did what they did on their ELC and Stutzle is still in his ELC this year :laugh:

Congratulations, you played yourself…

Last edited:

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009

Every day of the week, except unless we're talking 4 years ago.

Yes, Tavares is a much superior player to date and his ceiling is what we're hoping Norris and Stutzle will grow and achieve in terms of skill level. However, we're not looking to have to pay them 11M if they do achieve this and luckily we won't have to for the next 8-9 years. A chance we're gambling 8M on each young player (which is really a 1-2M loss if they underachieve as 60-70 pt player). But Tavares' cap hit will always be a sore spot for the Leafs and an easy point to chastise the fans about - e.g. the eventual cap casualties like Kadri, Hyman, Brown, Johnsson, Mikheyev and in the future possibly Engvall, Kerfoot. Most of these guys have gone on to show that they would have been formidable depth on other teams.

Basically what Ottawa is trying to avoid by signing early to not have to lose the likes of Formenton/Joseph/future depth.

Came here thinking there was news on DeBrincat but only see a pissing match about TML top line vs Senators. *sigh*

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Point to those rumors

Tavares has scored more points this past season than any player on the Sens have for the last 6 years. And never even had a player score 80 or more points since EK65
That's last year though. Tavares is getting old. How many seasons of that level does he have left? Because...there's no reason to think that some of Ottawa's players will reach that and beyond and they're still children in this league.

That's what you invest in, you know? It's not rocket science.

Reactions: DueDiligence

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Point to those rumors

Yeah, the Sens have been rebuilding since EK left... so that kind of makes sense.

How many players have we paid AAV 11 million to in the same period to produce like JT. I hope we keep the number at 0.

That contract is not good. Try putting lipstick on a pig if you like.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Tavares's stats are inflated because he plays behind the best goal scorer in the league. Every team the Leafs face are focused on trying to stop Matthews and JT rarely has to play against the opposing teams' best defensive players. Right now Tavares is the Leafs 4th best forward. He's still good but way overpaid.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Point to those rumors

How many PO round wins those last 6 years?

Last edited:

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Makes sense for the team but not the player. If I’m the player I sign a 1 year deal that takes me to UFA and sign a monster deal if the cap goes up as expected

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Makes sense for the team but not the player. If I’m the player I sign a 1 year deal that takes me to UFA and sign a monster deal if the cap goes up as expected
Most players typically take a guaranteed long term deal over betting on the unknown. Sure, you might get an extra $5M, but you're also taking a chance that you could get hurt, the cap doesn't go as high as expected, market changes, or you have a bad year before contract negotiations.

DeBrincat getting a guaranteed $75M is better than a maybe 80. If a good long term offer is there, you take it. That kind of money is astronomical and he'll still be getting paid in the ballpark of actual worth.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
This thread deserves a bump due to the recent news.

I wonder what happened to that guy who thought 8.250 for DeBrincat was "Delusional" as he was definitely getting 10.000+ Lol

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
This thread deserves a bump due to the recent news.

I wonder what happened to that guy who thought 8.250 for DeBrincat was "Delusional" as he was definitely getting 10.000+ Lol

You bumped an 8 month old thread to dunk on someone because one of your players underperformed, deserves less money, and now wants a trade? Weird flex, but okay.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
You bumped an 8 month old thread to dunk on someone because one of your players underperformed, deserves less money, and now wants a trade? Weird flex, but okay.

He got 6 less points than I predicted

All signs point to him getting about what I predicted, nowhere near 10.000

There was always a chance he was going to move on. Anyone who thought otherwise was delusional.

I bumped the thread because it was relevant, and hindsight is funny sometimes. You replied for no better reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad