Weekes: Sens working to extend DeBrincat

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Is the stipulation with the Senators?

Because I think most readers interpreted what you said as DeBrincat would definitely be signed for less than 9.125 (midway to 10 from 8.25). And if you polled it, I'm sure the majority would guess that he'll sign a long term AAV > than 9.125, either with the Senators or elsewhere.

Yeah, with the Sens.

I think he either signs a slightly team friendly deal, or he doesn't get signed, and is traded next offseason. I think 9.000 is the max he would get as a Senator.

And my bet was specifically with a guy who who called me delusional and thinks he will get 10.000+, and could get "Panarin money" as a UFA.

FWIW: I take no issue with those who think he will get 9-ish. I've admired I know my number seems optimistic already.

Also.. he hasn't replied. Haha

Reactions: playasRus

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
A 40 goal scorer who's been PPG in 3 of his last 4 seasons?

Ottawa would do very, very, very well if the AAV started with an 8. I fully expect the AAV to be in the 9-9.5 range.

Agreed, no chance it starts with an 8.

Fit with the team or not, whether he pots 30 or 40, his body of work speaks for itself.

His contract extension to an extent will not be impacted by his play imo.

You start at 9 for 8 years and add the Ottawa tax in.

9.613 is my guess. They do obscure numbers.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Yeah I mean no shot Ottawa made that trade without knowing he'd extend there, this was just a formality. Wonder if the Devils asked about him as well back at the draft with #2.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Yeah I mean no shot Ottawa made that trade without knowing he'd extend there, this was just a formality. Wonder if the Devils asked about him as well back at the draft with #2.
I think Ottawa's thought was moreso if he doesn't sign here, we still have a year where we can trade him with extension to someone at e.g. 10M x 8 assuming he hits another 40 G ~80 P season.

And this time, he better not hear, "but can he do it without Kane or Giroux feeding him pucks?"

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I’d guess around $9-9.5 over 8 years. Can’t wait to finally be able to root for this kid, because he’s really fun to watch.

The Sens are gonna be my Eastern team starting this year. Loved what they did this offseason, and there’s obviously the Brady connection with STL.

Last edited:

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Wonder if the Robertson (who just potted 40 goals in 74 games) deal has any effect on the debrincat deal.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Wonder if the Robertson (who just potted 40 goals in 74 games) deal has any effect on the debrincat deal.
Robertson's contract is #2. Debrincat's is #3. There are no UFA years in Robertson's, so no, shouldn't be any tangible effect

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I have no idea why DeBrincat would extend.

He's guaranteed $15.3M over the next two seasons and will hit UFA right as the cap significantly increases.

I see no reason why he wouldn't accept the $9M QO next year and walk straight to UFA.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

He's guaranteed $15.3M over the next two seasons and will hit UFA right as the cap significantly increases.

I see no reason why he wouldn't accept the $9M QO next year and walk straight to UFA.

Things can happen. DeBrincat could have a bad season or get injured next season.

In his shoes if offered something like a guaranteed 72 million dollars over 8 years, do you decline that in the hopes of possibly making a bit more in FA?

Reward may not justify the risk.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Why not? Ottawa can afford it, and he'd be living a quiet city with a small town feel which should appeal to someone with his personality. Team is also on the rise, he could play with Stutzle for the next 8+ years if he wants to. Posts like this just reek of jealousy that Chicago is now a dumpster fire and players can't wait to leave given current circumstances with the team.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Goodness, why not? He can ask for - and receive - 76 million dollars guaranteed on a team that's on a huge rise - and he can play next to Stutzle or Norris or Pinto for the next decade. Again....why not?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Things can happen. DeBrincat could have a bad season or get injured next season.

In his shoes if offered something like a guaranteed 72 million dollars over 8 years, do you decline that in the hopes of possibly making a bit more in FA?

Reward may not justify the risk.
Idk, I think that players in his tier (especially in the NHL) don't bet on themselves enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad