Low Effort GDT SENS @ Winterpeg, Sat 10pm CBC/SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I get the feeling DJ and Dorion are trying to establish the Sens as a "tough" team to play against. For the last 8 or 9 years we have been considered a soft franchise to play games against. Outside of Neil we mostly had high skill low low toughness players.
I get the impression that is something Dorion and DJ want to change. They want to establish the Sens as a team that other teams winse a bit when they think about playing us.

Of course the reality is that teams don't really care if they can drop five goals on you even if they have to take some hits. All that matters is that they get to come in to your barn and pump your goalie for an easy dub even if they wake up the next morning with some bruises it makes the win feel all the better. This isn't clutch and grab hockey, we arent the LA kings and we are going to lose a shit ton of games until we start playing guys who can actually score on a regular basis.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Maybe by insulating... they mean insulating players from the score sheet?

Anyway, can't wait to play the Habs and get embarassed

I mean, if you have a line up full of young players, you can use the inexperience "excuse" but when your line up is full of veterans and your rookies play on the same line, it's kinda embarrassing

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What plan do you think is in place with Haley being out into the lineup game 5 of the season when we already have players similar to him there

I don’t know ... but here are some things I can think of as a fan -

1) the Sens were manhandled towards the end of the game. Gane 3 will probably get ugly and Haley can be a bit of a punching bag before lighter games vs EDM etc.

2) guys like Haley get games. It boosts their salaries comparable Euro deals. I’d rather him get it in the road in this situation than the end of the year. It’s part of attracting players to support both the AHL and NHL team.
3) I think their is a developmental plan in place for White. DJ wants white to succeed but they are following their plan. Maybe they don’t like what they see at practice etc. It’s like grounding your kids for the weekend from screens and caving in Friday night. It doesn’t promote Learning and White needs to get better to have any success.

4) waiver with Timmy - he might oaky next game so Haley has to clear. Coaches often play guys they call up.

5) any one of a million other parts of the business that I have no clue about.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
You’re right. The coach on the team that finished last in the league made no mistakes. Neither did the GM.

But wait... if Boucher didn’t make any mistakes or bad decisions... why was he fired? And if Dorion fired a coach that only made good decisions, wouldn’t that, in itself, be a mistake?

This is boring .. we both know all coaches get fired. Most get fired for reasons other than “bad decisions”.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Jeez - he’s been a pro coach for 15 years after playing professionally for several. Maybe, he’s learned something over that time you may not identify as a fan?
5.1 years 4 with the leafs AC and 1.1 Senators HC.
Can't equate OHL coaching to Pro Coaching

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don’t know ... but here are some things I can think of as a fan -

1) the Sens were manhandled towards the end of the game. Gane 3 will probably get ugly and Haley can be a bit of a punching bag before lighter games vs EDM etc.

2) guys like Haley get games. It boosts their salaries comparable Euro deals. I’d rather him get it in the road in this situation than the end of the year. It’s part of attracting players to support both the AHL and NHL team.
3) I think their is a developmental plan in place for White. DJ wants white to succeed but they are following their plan. Maybe they don’t like what they see at practice etc. It’s like grounding your kids for the weekend from screens and caving in Friday night. It doesn’t promote Learning and White needs to get better to have any success.

4) waiver with Timmy - he might oaky next game so Haley has to clear. Coaches often play guys they call up.

5) any one of a million other parts of the business that I have no clue about.
What manhandling. It was an even low event scrum.

we brought in j brown coburn gudbransson and Watson to do that shit. And ...that seems to have been a massive maaassvie miscalculation by smith and Dorion. Which now ha them scrambling to add another? Haley?
I doubt Haley has anything to do with white. That’s what anisimov is in for (also laughable)

the fact Haley is an option is embarrassing. So the “well it’s for waivers yada yada and wanting to get him in “ leads us into another question, which bring us back to our first question (why the f*** were j brown coburn Watson gudbransson paquette brought in if not for EXaaCTLY this). Why the f*** did we acquire Haley

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
So who isn't stepping up?

It kind of seems like Haley is getting a look either because a few players aren't helping Tkachuk enough with leading the physicality or not enough players are getting into the fight. Coburn has showed plenty of compete so him getting scratched has nothing to do with that. They didn't scratch any other physical player so while they might want more from them it kind of seems that the message is directed less at them then at the whole team. Within this context it seems like scratching White and Galchenyuk is sending them a message that they need to compete harder.

I am not saying this is the coaching decision I would make but I am trying to analyze it. Given Smith's comments after last game and this quote from him here it does sound like the level of battle and compete is not where he wants it to be. That he is trying to establish a team identity and is challenging the players to step up. I think that until the team reaches that intensity and compete level he might lean more heavily on players that he thinks will drive it. That won't make the most popular lineup decisions but it is possible that it could accelerate the identity formation and make it abundantly clear who is willing to step up and who isn't. Once the team has met that compete level it will be easier to cycle prospects into the lineup.

Reactions: The Brady Bunch

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
DJ is really winning me over with these moves.. Toughness with no speed means you'll be good in the scrums .. the hell with the rest of the game.

Roster that will try to defend , collapse into the middle while .. the actual hockey team swarms us in our end.

Couldn't move the puck out... answer Wolanin back to the press box.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

It kind of seems like Haley is getting a look either because a few players aren't helping Tkachuk enough with leading the physicality or not enough players are getting into the fight. Coburn has showed plenty of compete so him getting scratched has nothing to do with that. They didn't scratch any other physical player so while they might want more from them it kind of seems that the message is directed less at them then at the whole team. Within this context it seems like scratching White and Galchenyuk is sending them a message that they need to compete harder.

I am not saying this is the coaching decision I would make but I am trying to analyze it. Given Smith's comments after last game and this quote from him here it does sound like the level of battle and compete is not where he wants it to be. That he is trying to establish a team identity and is challenging the players to step up. I think that until the team reaches that intensity and compete level he might lean more heavily on players that he thinks will drive it. That won't make the most popular lineup decisions but it is possible that it could accelerate the identity formation and make it abundantly clear who is willing to step up and who isn't. Once the team has met that compete level it will be easier to cycle prospects into the lineup.

If that is the case, Sens are f***ed

Smith is a proponent of hard work beats skill when skill doesn't work hard, that's all good, in context. The double standards and irony of everything we've seen this year is unbelievable.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
When they tried Tierney at wing last season he was completely lost.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
5.1 years 4 with the leafs AC and 1.1 Senators HC.
Can't equate OHL coaching to Pro Coaching

Please - OHL coaching (and winning a MeM cup) is extremely coveted and respected pro coaching position.

Anyone around here done more ? Do you have any equal qualifications or experience ? I don’t.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Please - OHL coaching (and winning a MeM cup) is extremely coveted and respected pro coaching position.

Anyone around here done more ? Do you have any equal qualifications or experience ? I don’t.

Who gives a f*** about this? Irrelevant. Coaches are not infallible and should be open to criticism. Stop gatekeeping. We all joined this site to give our thoughts if you don't like that GTFO.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

This isn't Bob Probert era anymore... Can someone talk some sense into DJ?

Watson and Brown can play a tough role, they are 4th line and 3rd pair. No need other guys to risk injuries. Tkachuk as an unicorn can do it at times but can he focus on creating scoring chances?

More speed, passing and shooting please.

DJ is really winning me over with these moves.. Toughness with no speed means you'll be good in the scrums .. the hell with the rest of the game.

It's not just the speed, it's also passing and receiving the puck while moving.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
It's not just the speed, it's also passing and receiving the puck while moving.

Exactly! Mike Johnson broke down our struggles in the last game as the inability to come out of our zone cleanly and therefore losing the middle of the ice. Vice versa, WIN was really good at that and had good speed going into our zone. Haley is not going to help with that.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He’s chosen two coaches now with very similar personnel philosophies. I’m guessing his third choice will be the same

Reactions: DrEasy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Who gives a f*** about this? Irrelevant. Coaches are not infallible and should be open to criticism. Stop gatekeeping. We all joined this site to give our thoughts if you don't like that GTFO.

And your getting mine - sorry you don’t like it. It your choice to align yourself with misguided super fan rants. See EK trade and most other popular beliefs around here.

Reactions: The Brady Bunch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad