Waived: Sens waive Zack Smith (upd: clears)

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Someone said this was going to get worse before it gets better... Couldn't be more true.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Why even put him on waivers? all youre doing is causing issues in the dressing room. Make 30 calls and ask if anyone wants him for a conditional 7th? If no one says yes, you are stuck with him. Now you have pissed off the players and the fans even more. This team never ceases to amaze me.

Because nobody would add him for a conditional 7th, because salary cap. They might add him in exchange for a slightly less bad contract, not add him *and* keep all their bad contracts. And moreso, they might be more willing to add him for a slightly bad contract after he has cleared waivers and can be freely sent to the acquiring team's farm.

Reactions: CrypTic

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Why even put him on waivers? all youre doing is causing issues in the dressing room. Make 30 calls and ask if anyone wants him for a conditional 7th? If no one says yes, you are stuck with him. Now you have pissed off the players and the fans even more. This team never ceases to amaze me.

I totally agree.

However, it sounds like Dorion already did that. It was reported that Smith was shopped around. Maybe they're waving him now, and if there's no takers then they will make a trade with a player and salary coming back.

In case anyone else didn't know (I sure didn't), Zack Smith and his wife just had their first baby, a girl, who is only a few weeks old. (link)

Sure hope he isn't claimed and he gets to keep playing for the Sens.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I totally agree.

However, it sounds like Dorion already did that. It was reported that Smith was shopped around. Maybe they're waving him now, and if there's no takers then they will make a trade with a player and salary coming back.

In case anyone else didn't know (I sure didn't), Zack Smith and his wife just had their first baby, a girl, who is only a few weeks old. (link)

Sure hope he isn't claimed and he gets to keep playing for the Sens.
If our org had any class they would have had a waiver claim deal in place already for Smith before the actual act of doing it. Pull Smith aside and let him know what is going on, inform the coaches and also the players. NONE of this happened. I'm not mad at Smith getting waived, I'm furious with the lack of tact in how it went down.

If no team wanting him for free you simply don't waive him, keeps the player happy and not embarrassed plus limits resentment and turmoil in the room. That isn't our Ottawa Senators though.

Reactions: iSophagus

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So we successfully pissed off Duchene, coaches and the locker room and ended up in exactly the same place. Brilliant!
No, now they can trade him and the acquiring team can start him in the AHL system and have him earn his spot without having to clear waivers for the next 30 days.

Him clearing waivers improved his value slightly. Unfortunately for Ottawa, he wasn't really that valuable to begin with.

Reactions: CrypTic

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
No, now they can trade him and the acquiring team can start him in the AHL system and have him earn his spot without having to clear waivers for the next 30 days.
So no team would claim him for free but will now give us assets for him? Hmm, great plan, I can't wait to see how this works out. There is literally no chance that Melnyk retains any salary.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
So no team would claim him for free but will now give us assets for him? Hmm, great plan, I can't wait to see how this works out. There is literally no chance that Melnyk retains any salary.

Or he could be traded for a cheaper player someone else is looking to offload that better fits the sens without retaining money on his deal and still save dollars.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
happens sometimes if a team does not or cannot take on another contract. They will send someone else who is waiver fodder.

Reactions: iSophagus

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Or he could be traded for a cheaper player someone else is looking to offload that better fits the sens without retaining money on his deal and still save dollars.

happens sometimes if a team does not or cannot take on another contract. They will send someone else who is waiver fodder.

You guys are giving this ownership and management team FAR, FAR too much credit. Did you see the returns for EK, Hoffman? Did you see what we paid for Duchene who we just pissed off yesterday?

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I am honestly surprised a few people here said that "he was going to get claimed for sure."

Shocked me.

A 4th line guy, who's 30 yrs old, has $3.25M for 3 more yrs, coming off 6 goals...

If he was a free agent this past summer he would get a 1 yr- $1M deal. Or a PTO.

NOBODY is begging to add this type of contract.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
You guys are giving this ownership and management team FAR, FAR too much credit. Did you see the returns for EK, Hoffman? Did you see what we paid for Duchene who we just pissed off yesterday?

But they got them out of the East! half of them, at least.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
If our org had any class they would have had a waiver claim deal in place already for Smith before the actual act of doing it. Pull Smith aside and let him know what is going on, inform the coaches and also the players. NONE of this happened. I'm not mad at Smith getting waived, I'm furious with the lack of tact in how it went down.

If no team wanting him for free you simply don't waive him, keeps the player happy and not embarrassed plus limits resentment and turmoil in the room. That isn't our Ottawa Senators though.

Why does the team owe that to anyone, let alone someone who doesn't live up to what they are being paid anymore? This isn't charity, its a business. Yeah Ottawa makes bad decisions, but this kind of thing happens ALL the time. Its only because its Ottawa that people are over reacting. The GM doesn't have to give that courtesy, and Douchene should keep his mouth shut, it has nothing to do with him.

Reactions: InAbsensia

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Why does the team owe that to anyone, let alone someone who doesn't live up to what they are being paid anymore? This isn't charity, its a business. Yeah Ottawa makes bad decisions, but this kind of thing happens ALL the time. Its only because its Ottawa that people are over reacting. The GM doesn't have to give that courtesy, and *****ene should keep his mouth shut, it has nothing to do with him.
Teams do it for multiple reasons:
1) Clear cap space - NOT a problem for Ottawa
2) Make room for a younger, better player - Not a problem for Ottawa
3) Room problem - Not a problem for Ottawa, he's one of the few leaders left

What reason again was it that we did this? Oh wait I'll answer for you, to clear salary and make the team WORSE.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Actually, waiving Smith was probably one of the more logical things they've done throughout this whole process and the past half dozen posts thoroughly explain why. Ottawa replaced Smith with Tierney and now they'd prefer to invest the $10m owed to Smith elsewhere.

If you're worried about Duchene, do you honestly think this is the straw that breaks the camel's back considering everything else that's happened?

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Wasn't this dude a decent to solid player? Has he declined sharply?

No. He's a bit overpaid, and his deal is a year or two too long, but he's still a serviceable NHL'er for a bottom 6, a really good locker room guy, and he's only 30.

Sens are just in the business of dropping dudes on waivers that have 10 years of service to the club, without notifying anyone including the coach.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009

Him clearing waivers improved his value slightly. Unfortunately for Ottawa, he wasn't really that valuable to begin with.

None is picking up a $3M+ player to park him in the AHL. Sens gambled assuming the risk of pissing off their star players was worth it in the off chance they'd save a couple bucks. To quote Kirk in the original Start trek series. This is a penny ante operation.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Actually, waiving Smith was probably one of the more logical things they've done throughout this whole process and the past half dozen posts thoroughly explain why. Ottawa replaced Smith with Tierney and now they'd prefer to invest the $10m owed to Smith elsewhere.

If you're worried about Duchene, do you honestly think this is the straw that breaks the camel's back considering everything else that's happened?
You do know that Pageau is out for the season right? So we're going to run 2 of our 4 centres as rookies? Chlapik deserves sheltered minutes but Brown and White not so much, last year we were trying to turn White in to a winger. Change of plans again I guess. We could have used Smith to shelter those guys and provide a little toughness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad