Waived: Sens waive Zack Smith (upd: clears)

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I believe you have proven his point.

You may not be familar with Chalpik or White but that doesn't take away from their ability. They both have top 6 potential and at this point look like they will be valuable members moving forward. I had questions about whether they both would play C moving forward but this move makes me believe management believes both can and are ready to. Personally I'm excited to see what both can do.

I'm very caught of guard by the reaction of this. I like Smith, he seems like a great person and I would like to see him succeed but Ottawa has better options to play centre and wing, I'm not even sure I would consider Smith a C anymore to be quite honest. Moving Smith to make room for younger players who are ready to make an impact is the right move, I dont get what all the fuss is about.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
If it wasn't for the term and cap hit I'm sure many teams would fall over themselves to grab a player like Z Smith. Boucher even said it wasn't his call and that He's still on his board. He's a good fourth line player and the team loves him - listen to the interviews. What a "kick in the balls"

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Haven't read this thread (I'm sure it's been said) but I can't imagine they're waiving him, it's just a cheap owner trying to save money by hoping a team will claim him. He will almost certainly open the season with the team if he's not claimed, especially after reading Boucher's comments.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I get wanting to make room for younger guys, but the timing is horrible. After going through the whole off-season circus, you make things worse by waiving a likable guy in the locker room without even giving him a chance? I doubt there was much chance to re-sign Duchene or Stone, but I imagine something like this probably was or will lead to it being the last straw for both of those players willing to re-sign.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
upload_2018-9-26_1-9-11.jpeg

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
How do you know the coach didn't know about the transaction?

I am aware of Boucher's quotes, but it's entirely plausible he is choosing what to say carefully because....

1) If Smith is claimed, nobody will know about the trade anyways unless it leaks. So by standing behind Smith who is presumably popular in the room, Boucher doesn't implicate himself in this if Smith is claimed.

2) He can't talk about a trade that hasn't happened yet, so he can't explain "Smith is on waivers because we're gonna trade him for something we need more, but we're only allowed by ownership to trade him if nobody will take his contract off our hands without sending money back via waivers"

I'm just speculating, so I could be wrong, but it seems to me like there has to be an end game to randomly putting Smith on waivers, especially when he's been fingered out as a leader in the room in the past, and he hasn't been out played by 14 other players. I think there's a contract swap incoming that brings us an overpaid #6 type NHL defender. Mike Stone fits that mould. CGY has been rumoured to be in on Smith in the past, and Stone has obvious connections to our team consider his brother Mark is probably our future captain if he re-signs.

It doesn’t make any sense from Calgary’s perspective... we simply don’t have a spot for Zach and are already likely sending at least 1 guy down to Stockton that deserves to be on the opening roster.

I wouldn’t be terribly upset if our Stone left via trade but would expect it to be for something along the lines of a 2/3 rd pick. The whole point would be to free up salary for next years extensions and a new goalie.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ain't that the truth.

I still harbor a lot of love for the Sens after four years at Carleton. But man oh man am I glad I have a little more emotional distance than the hardcore fanbase right now.
I've been telling you for years that being a Sens fan was a bad idea :laugh:

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Every news item that comes out about Ottawa screams to me that Melnyk is in cahoots with Bettman to move the team to South Dakota or something.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I'm just speculating, so I could be wrong, but it seems to me like there has to be an end game to randomly putting Smith on waivers, especially when he's been fingered out as a leader in the room in the past, and he hasn't been out played by 14 other players. I think there's a contract swap incoming that brings us an overpaid #6 type NHL defender. Mike Stone fits that mould. CGY has been rumoured to be in on Smith in the past, and Stone has obvious connections to our team consider his brother Mark is probably our future captain if he re-signs.
Smith for Stone does make sense in a couple of ways but there is no room in the Flames forward corps for Smith. What kind of picks would the Sens be willing to part with if Bennett came the other way?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Smith for Stone does make sense in a couple of ways but there is no room in the Flames forward corps for Smith. What kind of picks would the Sens be willing to part with if Bennett came the other way?

Sens shouldn’t be trading picks, so none.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
f*** no to Smith for Stone. Smith's contract is a year longer and is completely unneeded

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad