Waived: Sens waive Zack Smith (upd: clears)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No. He's a bit overpaid, and his deal is a year or two too long, but he's still a serviceable NHL'er for a bottom 6, a really good locker room guy, and he's only 30.

Sens are just in the business of dropping dudes on waivers that have 10 years of service to the club, without notifying anyone including the coach.
Yeah, that was the unprofessional part of this whole thing, but there was no 'right' way to do it.

I'm assuming he's traded in the very near future.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Teams do it for multiple reasons:
1) Clear cap space - NOT a problem for Ottawa
2) Make room for a younger, better player - Not a problem for Ottawa
3) Room problem - Not a problem for Ottawa, he's one of the few leaders left

What reason again was it that we did this? Oh wait I'll answer for you, to clear salary and make the team WORSE.

Word. I get that. But also Smith isn't what he used to be. He should have been waived because he makes too much for what he brings now. Duchene should not be speaking like that publicly at all what so ever.

I mean yeah Melnyk obviously wanted to shed that salary. He is the one that needs to be waived. But at the same time Ottawa doesn't need to make a house call to Smith either, even though it is probably the right thing to do.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, that was the unprofessional part of this whole thing, but there was no 'right' way to do it.

I'm assuming he's traded in the very near future.
At this point, if I was a team that was interested in Smith, I would now offer less and expect more because he's now been passed on for free by the entire league.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Word. I get that. But also Smith isn't what he used to be. He should have been waived because he makes too much for what he brings now. Duchene should not be speaking like that publicly at all what so ever.

I mean yeah Melnyk obviously wanted to shed that salary. He is the one that needs to be waived. But at the same time Ottawa doesn't need to make a house call to Smith either, even though it is probably the right thing to do.
I agree that they don't have to do any of the things I said. What I am saying is that any org with class operates in that way. At the very least let the damn coach know. Duchene finding out Smith was waived and having a camera stuck in his face was when he realized that Tierney is the #2 centre and the #3 and #4 centre have 67 games combined in the NHL. Yikes. Duchene has said nothing but the right things but he, Boucher, the wives and everyone else were completely blindsided, that's just not right.

Reactions: stl76

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Actually, waiving Smith was probably one of the more logical things they've done throughout this whole process and the past half dozen posts thoroughly explain why. Ottawa replaced Smith with Tierney and now they'd prefer to invest the $10m owed to Smith elsewhere.

If you're worried about Duchene, do you honestly think this is the straw that breaks the camel's back considering everything else that's happened?

I won't dispute that, but in this instance it's the organization once again proving there are lemonade stands run more professionally. With a guy like Smith you should be having a quick meeting with him and informing him (and the coaching staff ffs) of the direction you're going and why you're going that way (especially after all of the EK stuff that went down).

Instead they just plunk his ass on waivers to the surprise of everyone, subsequently pissing off players who don't agree with the treatment of well respected and tenured guys like Smith.

People are upset because of how f***ing poorly this team is run in both hockey ops and business.

Reactions: CrypTic

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You do know that Pageau is out for the season right? So we're going to run 2 of our 4 centres as rookies? Chlapik deserves sheltered minutes but Brown and White not so much, last year we were trying to turn White in to a winger. Change of plans again I guess. We could have used Smith to shelter those guys and provide a little toughness.
Yes. Quite aware.

The waiver wire is full of cheap options at this time of year to make up the thirty or so points he would've made up with that premium offensive opportunity. And those wouldn't come with a $10m commitment. In a rebuild, teams generally ways to gain quick assets, flipping short-term players for picks. Smith is a rapidly depreciating asset that teams don't have the ability to fit into their payrolls. They're smart to be flipping him now if they have the opportunity.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I won't dispute that, but in this instance it's the organization once again proving there are lemonade stands run more professionally. With a guy like Smith you should be having a quick meeting with him and informing him (and the coaching staff ffs) of the direction you're going and why you're going that way (especially after all of the EK stuff that went down).

Instead they just plunk his ass on waivers to the surprise of everyone, subsequently pissing off players who don't agree with the treatment of well respected and tenured guys like Smith.

People are upset because of how ****ing poorly this team is run in both hockey ops and business.
No argument there.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
He scored 6 goals and 19 points last year, but he didn't decline?

I agree he could still be a useful or at least serviceable guy but he comes with $10,000,000 and 3 year commitment. The risk/reward isn't really there.

Did you happen to see the Sens last year? They were hot f***ing garbage top to bottom in the lineup. If you want to call that a "decline", then sure, the entire roster declined.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
At this point, if I was a team that was interested in Smith, I would now offer less and expect more because he's now been passed on for free by the entire league.
Why? You can flip him down to your farm team freely for the next month. Clearing waivers improves the asset's value because it gives you more options.

Reactions: iSophagus

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Yes. Quite aware.

The waiver wire is full of cheap options at this time of year to make up the thirty or so points he would've made up with that premium offensive opportunity. And those wouldn't come with a $10m commitment. In a rebuild, teams generally ways to gain quick assets, flipping short-term players for picks. Smith is a rapidly depreciating asset that teams don't have the ability to fit into their payrolls. They're smart to be flipping him now if they have the opportunity.
I totally agree with what we should be doing, it's just not what we are doing. Hoffman for Boedker rather than picks? Smith and Boedker are similar players. Karlsson for all around crap? Only recent trade I liked was Brassard.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
So no team would claim him for free but will now give us assets for him? Hmm, great plan, I can't wait to see how this works out. There is literally no chance that Melnyk retains any salary.

Every year there are players who clear waivers then get traded very shortly thereafter even without retention. Just looking at transactions from around this time last year: Pedan, Deslauriers, Baun, Redmond, Martinsen, Pickard ... all waived during or after camp, cleared waivers, and traded shortly thereafter. It's kinda normal.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Every year there are players who clear waivers then get traded very shortly thereafter even without retention. Just looking at transactions from around this time last year: Pedan, Deslauriers, Baun, Redmond, Martinsen, Pickard ... all waived during or after camp, cleared waivers, and traded shortly thereafter. It's kinda normal.

No one wants to pick up Smith's salary straight up though. He ain't going nowhere.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Reentry hasn't existed for 5 or 6 yrs now.

Blank+_a673fec2af6ed99a987c7179c8d0ca96.jpg

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

People are upset because of how ****ing poorly this team is run in both hockey ops and business.

Thats the big thing about all of this. That's how they treat their longest serving player, and someone who has been great in this community.

I don't think it makes much sense on the ice either, you need some older players to guide the younger ones along. Its not like the Sens are hurting for cap space, why not keep Smith around for a few seasons? Its not like he's blocking a roster spot. The guy can play wing or center on any line.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
No one wants to pick up Smith's salary straight up though. He ain't going nowhere.

That's exactly why this happened. Nobody wanted to pick up Baum straight up. Or Martinsen. Or Pedan or Redmond or Deslauriers or Pickard . Every single one of them cleared waivers, meaning every team said "We will not pick up that player and salary straight up". And yet every one of them was traded, by teams that added them in exchange for another contract. And that's exactly what people are proposing might happen with Smith. Just like those six, he cleared waivers. Those six were traded, though, in exchange for other garbage-tier assets - so why do you think it impossible to believe Smith could be traded for a garbage tier asset? It happens with cleared-waivers players several times a year. It's normal business in the NHL.

Reactions: CrypTic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad