Pre-Game Talk: SENS vs Red Wings Thurs. 7:30 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Tickets as low as 11$ US on stubhub today.
I just got an email for a buy one game get one game free, so I am going with the kids to the see the San José game and the Colorado game, sweet deal.
The boy loves Ek and Thornton, he is going to be so pumped! This crappy rebuild and fan apathy/boycott is great for families wallets.

Ironic that the boycott may end up drawing people (back) to the rink who would otherwise not have gone.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Wings have been playing decent,would like us to win more than a game then lose the next one....We need to get a win streak going here

Reactions: Silencio

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How is Jaros going to get better against fast teams if he doesn't play against fast teams?
A rebuild is supposed to start over with kids and develop them so we can be contenders in 3-4 years.
boro needs to keep playing to get over this horrific patch of form hes in.. everyone else needs to sit when they play poorly.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Not the worst thing for Jaros to take a breather and reasses. Wideman is not fast enough to play and would rather have Jaros, but this will be a pressure game for Wideman. If he doesn't play well, he is going to sit.

Can only think they are trying to get Boedker going. I think Ryan and Dzingel could make some nice plays. More balanced, but won't be surprised to see Dzingel force his way up.

Dzingel might be able to take advantage of lower skilled opponents on the 3rd line. But my philosophy is when you find chemistry between certain players (whether it is 2 or 3 or more) you should stick with that grouping because the chemistry may not be there if you move them to play on a line with other players. Seems like a risky gamble to me. Don't mind trying it out for a period or so if your other lines are not producing. Production is the key. And production comes with players complementing one-another which takes time to build.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
I'm talking about the defensive ability of the top 9. Night and day difference. One could produce while being tight defensively. One can sometimes produce while being **** defensively.

- Dzingel = not a liability
- Duchene = responsible
- Batherson = we’ll see at the NHL level, but known as a good two way guy in jr
- Tkachuk = good defensively
- White = really good defensively
- Stone = great defensively
- Boedker = responsible
- Tierney = really good defensively
- Ryan = responsible

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Just read this whole GDT.

Aaanddd...

jJmiG2h.gif

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
- Duchene = responsible
- Boedker = responsible
- Ryan = responsible

It's because he is too slow for the play so when we turn it over he is already "back on D." :D

Reactions: TheBradyBunch

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
- Duchene = responsible
- Boedker = responsible
- Ryan = responsible

That's...optimistic.

If we're still playing the comparison game with our "contending" teams of old they'd be better defensively in every position, to a man.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
It's because he is too slow for the play so when we turn it over he is already "back on D." :D

The anti-Bure

Also, not sure where this conception of Batherson as a two-way forward comes from. It's my understanding that his defensive play is the thing that needs the most work.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
- Duchene = responsible
- Boedker = responsible
- Ryan = responsible
That lineup is getting better but it still suffers from being out possessed,thats the real key to team defense

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
- Duchene = responsible
- Boedker = responsible
- Ryan = responsible

And yet, so many odd man rushes against meaning the low F isn't covering for the pinching D, and the 2nd F is Losing the other teams 3rd attacker resulting in 2 on 1s and 3 on 2s. Our forwards also seem to lose their high forward or pinching D when they are attacking in our end meaning they have guys open in the slot all day long.

It's a lot easier to produce when you omit defensive responsibilities.

Not even talking about our D, even our forwards are not taking care of their guy defensively well enough. They take short cuts and leave guys open all the time.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The anti-Bure

Also, not sure where this conception of Batherson as a two-way forward comes from. It's my understanding that his defensive play is the thing that needs the most work.

That's probably the case for any 20 year old first year pro putting up well over a point per game in the AHL...

I guess it probably comes from junior, but if he wasn't a two way player in junior, he be talked about as a potential liability at this level. I don't expect him to be a defensive stalwart any time soon,

Reactions: TheBradyBunch

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Well when you carry 22 players I think the core extends to 8 or 9 players so I guess thats the debate.

You can a 50 player roster and still only have 1 player worth calling a core player.

Tierney does not strike me as a core player, regardless how young or good he is. He would be someone I might look to trade to get some much needed help on our blueline, or maybe move Pageau depending who fetches the best return. Clearly, we do not have room for both once Pageau is fully healthy

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
That's probably the case for any 20 year old first year pro putting up well over a point per game in the AHL...

I guess it probably comes from junior, but if he wasn't a two way player in junior, he be talked about as a potential liability at this level. I don't expect him to be a defensive stalwart any time soon,
Definitely the case, I was not trying to critique... I just thought that comment was making him out to be something that he is not. I have full confidence that he will develop a strong defensive side to his game, he has all the tools to do so. He just hasn't had as much practice as his peers.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You can a 50 player roster and still only have 1 player worth calling a core player.

Tierney does not strike me as a core player, regardless how young or good he is. He would be someone I might look to trade to get some much needed help on our blueline, or maybe move Pageau depending who fetches the best return. Clearly, we do not have room for both once Pageau is fully healthy

Well there are no 50 man rosters in the NHL, but I guess what you are saying is that you dont think he is a very good player and the bolded portion definitely backs that up which is fine thats your opinion I just dissagree. But I do have to ask you about the bolded portion of your post. Why? Please give a good reason as to why you would possibly think this? Centermen can swing to the wing and given the injury to Pageau it has made Tierney irreplaceable this season. Tierney is an incredibly intelligent player that makes the right play almost every time and is really good at finding his wingers. They need Tierney and Pageau to be the 2 and 3 centermen on this team. White plays just as well if not better on the wing so if all of them are healthy then White swings to the wing.

Center depth is the most important position to have depth in. I really just cant wrap my head around why you think they have to trade either. In my opinion Tierney has come in and thus far been a better second line center than both Zibanejad and Brassard were he is better defensively than both of them and uses his teammates better. No he isnt flashy but he sure is efficient.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
How is Jaros going to get better against fast teams if he doesn't play against fast teams?
A rebuild is supposed to start over with kids and develop them so we can be contenders in 3-4 years.
Boucher said he was giving him a breather. Personally I'd play him over Wideman. I don't like having the D play on their off side unless its something they are used to doing a fair amount

Reactions: Alex1234

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Well there are no 50 man rosters in the NHL, but I guess what you are saying is that you dont think he is a very good player and the bolded portion definitely backs that up which is fine thats your opinion I just dissagree. But I do have to ask you about the bolded portion of your post. Why? Please give a good reason as to why you would possibly think this? Centermen can swing to the wing and given the injury to Pageau it has made Tierney irreplaceable this season. Tierney is an incredibly intelligent player that makes the right play almost every time and is really good at finding his wingers. They need Tierney and Pageau to be the 2 and 3 centermen on this team. White plays just as well if not better on the wing so if all of them are healthy then White swings to the wing.

Center depth is the most important position to have depth in. I really just cant wrap my head around why you think they have to trade either. In my opinion Tierney has come in and thus far been a better second line center than both Zibanejad and Brassard were he is better defensively than both of them and uses his teammates better. No he isnt flashy but he sure is efficient.

I tell you why. Pageau and Tierney are very similar player in terms of skill level and their roll on the team. They are both too good to be on the 4th line and quite not as good to be a genuine top 2 center. If White continues to develop and produce, then where do you slot in Tierney and Pageau. I'd rather move one of them to get a good return(if that is possible), then have them move to wing. We have a lot of younger natural wingers who can do that.

My point is simple. Both are natural C, smart, defensively reliable and can net 40 points. So, use one of them to improve our number 1 need, rather having 2 redundant filling in a role that's not one of our immediate needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad